Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,797
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:12:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tomb Raper

Started by Neil, June 13, 2012, 01:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerys

The death animations have always been one of the reasons I love the series.  Partly because they're almost a consolation prize for fucking up and partly because I've always been a bloodthirsty little mortal.

madhair60

Quote from: Rev on January 12, 2014, 01:54:08 AM
Did it?  I was under the impression that it went over pretty well, but I don't keep my ear close to the ground when it comes to - well, y'know, those people.

It's completely rocking, anyway.  I played through it on a friend's console, but got it in the Steam sale.  Particularly looking forward to revisiting the bit by the cabin where - no spoilers - you're basically Jason Voorhees with a bow.

For future reference, and I should have explained this, when I say "Gamers" with a capital G, I am referring to the NeoGAF forum and its type.  The 1080p/60fps or fuck you sort of folks.

Not just people who play games... Gamers.

Thursday

The last I saw of NeoGaf was their response to Rock Paper Shotgun's advent calendar where many of them hadn't quite grasped (despite it being repeated in the thread several times) That the list wasn't all in order of best to worst, but mainly that it's a PC games website so GTA 5 and The Last of Us weren't eligible. And it was basically fully of anger that is was a list full of indie games they hadn't heard of.

So basically "hardcore gamers" that don't actually know shit, yes?

Rev

Quote from: madhair60 on January 12, 2014, 12:54:54 PM
For future reference, and I should have explained this, when I say "Gamers" with a capital G, I am referring to the NeoGAF forum and its type.

Oh, I got you - that's what I meant by those people.  They remain the reason why we can never speak of gaming in civilised society.  Imagine if libraries had these militant bands;  you'd claim to be illiterate on your CV.

madhair60

Just finished this.  10/10.  Loved it.  Nine hours it took me, good length; I don't like 50 hour epics.  I'll go back to mop up sometime, but it's uninstalled for now; need to get through my backlog.  Bioshock Infinite, next.

Thursday

Finally the only comparison video willing to tell the truth... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTmyHjoL5ok

Consignia

I just finished this, after it sitting on my PS3 for ages[nb]PS+ has a habit doing that with games[/nb]. It's quite good, but let's face it is basically Uncharted. The linear progression, the genocide on all things foreign, the minimal puzzles. The only difference instead of a wise-cracking arse-hole, the protagonist is crying toff. Disappointing lack of dinosaurs, though.

Moribunderast

Yeah, I really enjoyed the game but thought the best parts of it were the actual Tomb Raiding, rare as those segments were. More of that climby, puzzly stuff and less shooting of everything brown would be nice. AAA games would really do well (by me) if they figured out how to remain interesting to their audiences without necessitating entire genocides. Especially in a story like Tomb Raider where Lara cries over the death of a deer at the beginning yet by the climax she's ended more lives than Malaria and AIDS. That's one thing I liked about Far Cry 3, actually, in that it addressed the horrific murderous rampage you were going on - by the end it seemed like the game was saying "Well, you're an irredeemable psycopath, now!"

Fuck, the whole sequel to Tom Raider should take place in a psych ward, where Lara is being treated for PTSD. She gets over it by mentally going through symbolic tombs and unlocking various keys to help her get over the pain of what she's done. There, I done a game pitch and it's BRILLIANT. Somebody give me a job.

Old Nehamkin

Tell you what, I've been replaying Tomb Raider Anniversary lately, and PS2-era Lara Croft was well nice, wasn't she?

Thursday

Nice as in kind and friendly? Or as in Phwoooar?

Anniversary is the best Tomb Raider for my money. Takes what worked about the original games, mixes it up with a few other twists and then makes everything look nice and has it so Lara doesn't control like a tank.

For all they wanked on about how about reinventing Lara and making human for the last reboot, they already did that in Legend, Anniversary and Underworld. I mean it's not like a game you played for the story, but it was fine, gave Lara a decent motivation. They were good. The way the reboot was hyped, you'd think it was the first game since Angel of Darkness.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Thursday on September 19, 2014, 01:26:38 AM
Nice as in kind and friendly? Or as in Phwoooar?

The second sense! And yeah, Anniversary is great. It's everything I want from a Tomb Raider game, really- exploring big temples with a nice ambient atmosphere, doing lots of climbing and jumping, putting big blocks on switches and murdering the occasional endangered animal. The new one was good, but it was a bit too gunfight-heavy for my tastes.

Consignia

Quote from: Moribunderast on September 19, 2014, 12:54:29 AM
Yeah, I really enjoyed the game but thought the best parts of it were the actual Tomb Raiding, rare as those segments were. More of that climby, puzzly stuff and less shooting of everything brown would be nice.

Definitely agree with that. The puzzles were kind of simple, and nearly everything is solved using magic "survival instinct-o-vision". But it was still more fun than "shoot, duck behind cover, repeat ad nausuem".