Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:58:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Original Resident Evil for New Gen consoles

Started by VegaLA, October 14, 2014, 05:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegaLA

Only just this morning discovered that not only Sleeping dogs has been remastered/remade for New gen machines, but also the classic Survival Horror masterpiece Resident Evil.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/resident-evil-remake-coming-to-xbox-360-xbox-one-p/1100-6421501/

Personally pleased with this news as I've not played RE1 since its release back in 1996 on my then shiny new Playstation, and came close to buying a GameCube just for this title.

As for Sleeping Dogs, it was my GotY for 2012 but not checked out if the remake warrants a purchase.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sleeping-dogs-rebuilt-for-xbox-one-and-ps4-coming-/1100-6421544/

Ignatius_S

Quote from: VegaLA on October 14, 2014, 05:37:52 PM
Only just this morning discovered that not only Sleeping dogs has been remastered/remade for New gen machines, but also the classic Survival Horror masterpiece Resident Evil....

Both are remasters, not remakes.

Quote from: VegaLA on October 14, 2014, 05:37:52 PM...As for Sleeping Dogs, it was my GotY for 2012 but not checked out if the remake warrants a purchase...

Short answer: no if you were looking at PC and probably (but only if cheap) on PS4 or Xbox One.

Longer answer... Graphically, all the versions of the 'Definitive Edition' look essentially identical, this is noticeable if you played it on the console, but not really on the PC. Although there are some new effects (like fog) and more people milling around to give better atmosphere, the difference in the PC versions is negligible and when certain screenshots compared, some have said they prefer the original. FWIW, I think there's nothing in it and although the new version will operate at a respectable framerate, it's slower (although I suspect this won't be noticeable). Even though it's available cheaply if you have the first version, I've read quite a few people ruing their purchase.

Whilst the console graphics are a definite step up, it's not a silky smooth experience. The framerate isn't consistent at times and on the PS4, it's been reported sometimes the early 20s at times. Certainly not game-breaking, but the dips are noticeable. It is an improvement but the pricing is pretty steep for it.

VegaLA

Cheers for the reply...even if it's not what I wanted to hear.

Tis' a pity because if there is one new franchise I wanted to support it's Sleeping Dogs. I was hoping the new version would sell well so the money men would green light a sequel.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: VegaLA on October 16, 2014, 09:19:34 PM
Cheers for the reply...even if it's not what I wanted to hear.

Tis' a pity because if there is one new franchise I wanted to support it's Sleeping Dogs. I was hoping the new version would sell well so the money men would green light a sequel.

You're not alone! Sadly, from what Square-Enix had said previously about it underperforming, I didn't think there was much chance of anything substantial being added to Sleeping Dogs.

One thing I did mean to mention, is that with the PC version, if someone doesn't have any of the DLC, it's good value. There are only three (I think) pieces of DLC that are generally considered definitely worth getting – even when on sale, I have a feeling that they're the best part of a tenner. Don't know if you have any experience of the DLC but I've heard consistently that it (part from three expensive ones) is okay but not really worth spending money on individually.

chand

The original Resident Evil is horrible to play in 2014, I wouldn't advocate being too nostalgic. Played the PSN download of it recently and really struggled to enjoy anything of it, apart from the shit voice acting and that "master of unlocking" line.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: chand on October 20, 2014, 02:08:04 PM
The original Resident Evil is horrible to play in 2014, I wouldn't advocate being too nostalgic. Played the PSN download of it recently and really struggled to enjoy anything of it, apart from the shit voice acting and that "master of unlocking" line.

The announced Resident Evil remaster is of the remake done for the Gamecube (and then later ported to the Wii) and it's significantly different to the original version. I wouldn't play the latter these days but the remake is very, very good and stands up today.

I would like to play Resident Evil with a Pong paddle for maximum control.