Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:22:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What podcasts/YouTube audio shit do you listen to?

Started by Flouncer, February 20, 2023, 07:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flouncer

I'm trying to get some stuff done around the house but my ADHD kicks my arse a lot of the time. I recently went on methylphenidate but it didn't agree with my fatigue issues so I know now that I have to power through and get stuff done on my own steam. It really helps if I have something entertaining to listen to whilst doing mundane tasks but I feel the pool of stuff I listen to has become stagnant, so I thought the denizens of this esteemed enclave must be into some cool shit: maybe we can share some suggestions and get each other into something new.

I'm into true crime/mystery stuff, unexplained events and all that. On YouTube I enjoy Frederik Knudsen's documentaries but he hasn't uploaded anything in a while (I think he's working on something big); I like his style and he seems to pick subjects I find interesting, from historical events to rise-and-fall type analyses of early gaming YouTubers. Nexpo can be fun (though inevitably the things he's investigating turn out to be ARGs). I like these sort of YT videos that you can listen to on headphones and maybe glance at the screen every so often and not really miss out on much if anything. There's a bloke called Shrouded Hand that does a variety of true crime, horror, cryptids and whatnot. I'm trying to think of some more but drawing a blank now.

I've never been much into podcasts - there's something about many of them that I find grating - but I'm partial to Well There's Your Problem, which is a few lefty mates who look into engineering disasters in quite a lighthearted way (I think Buzby got me into that ages ago). That's the only one I've really got into but I suspect there might be other podcasts I'd enjoy. Just ones where the hosts aren't twats, I guess?

PlanktonSideburns

Wherever happened to the pizza at McDonald's? - trust me, just start at ep 1, it's the best

Totally silly,but Jack Wagner's series Otherworld has some interviews with people who have experienced strange phenomenon and ghosts, not a great host but he mostly just let's people talk in the interviews, and some of them are great storytellers

Occult Experiments in the home - great if you need a lovely English bloke whispering into your ear about Buddhism and the occult and chaos magic

Blindboy podcast - lovely irish lad talks engagingly and a broad range of subjects that interest him

Druidcast- the podcast of druids, lovely folk music throughout

PlanktonSideburns

Does the well there's your problem podcast always have the person from the trashfuture in it? Can't get on with them but want to hear the other ones talk

PlanktonSideburns

Pink Gregory

You're Wrong About, Maintenance Phase and If Books Could Kill share a common ancestor, the delightful journalist and writer Michael Hobbes.

YWA has sort of strayed from its original premise into more of an 'interesting and undertold stories' angle (and Hobbes departed about a year ago) but it's still worth a listen - YWA is more about the truth behind widely known news stories, omissions, mandela effects and the like.

Maintenance Phase is similar, but focuses on the US health and wellbeing industry, so a lot of dodgy diets, snake oil and weird influencers

If Books Could Kill is new, but the premise is they're breezy (left-ish) critiques of influential popular science and politics books (Gladwell is episode 2).

On Youtube I've been enjoying pop music youtuber Todd in the Shadows, in particular his series One Hit Wonderland and Trainwreckords.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on February 20, 2023, 08:17:51 PMDoes the well there's your problem podcast always have the person from the trashfuture in it? Can't get on with them but want to hear the other ones talk

Equally Justin (?) did a youtube series on his channel donoteat01 about the development of cities in the 19th to 20th century, as a playthrough of Cities Skylines, the series is called Franklin

Rizla

Mandatory Redistribution Party is my new fave, it's excellent - I started with their recent amazing deep dive on the career of Paddy McGuinness and since been chomping steadily through the old episodes. TRY IT

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Pink Gregory on February 20, 2023, 08:24:52 PMEqually Justin (?) did a youtube series on his channel donoteat01 about the development of cities in the 19th to 20th century, as a playthrough of Cities Skylines, the series is called Franklin

Ah sweet, thanks

WhoMe

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on February 20, 2023, 08:17:51 PMDoes the well there's your problem podcast always have the person from the trashfuture in it? Can't get on with them but want to hear the other ones talk

Alice has been on all the ones I've heard, so I think so.
On Youtube I enjoy Just Have A Think - Talks about sustainable energy solutions, climate science etc in a really accessible and engaging style.
And John Rogers who does walking talks, knows loads of history about places and seems to find the beauty, or at least interest, just about anywhere.

PlanktonSideburns

Ooh will give that John Rodgers lad a go

Love this kind if thread

non capisco

Quote from: Pink Gregory on February 20, 2023, 08:23:19 PMOn Youtube I've been enjoying pop music youtuber Todd in the Shadows, in particular his series One Hit Wonderland and Trainwreckords.

Big Todd fan here. The podcast he co-hosts with Lina Morgan, Song Vs. Song, is really good too.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Pink Gregory on February 20, 2023, 08:23:19 PMIf Books Could Kill is new, but the premise is they're breezy (left-ish) critiques of influential popular science and politics books (Gladwell is episode 2).

Ooh, hadn't heard of that, but Michael Hobbes always seemed to have read a ton for his YWA episodes so I'm downloading a few of this to try.

YWA went off the boil while he was still hosting, but the Washington Sniper episodes are some of the best things I've heard in podcasts, and as good an in to YWA as anything. Big recommendation from me.

Icehaven

Unexplained by Richard McLean Smith is alright, few dud episodes but the music is beautiful.

Flouncer

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on February 20, 2023, 08:18:31 PMYou would also like Atrocity Guide on youtube

I actually had some Atrocity Guide on while I was waiting for people to reply to the thread. Her documentary on Sir Alfred is really good.

Ah you mean Alice, I think. I started an episode of Trashfuture last night but didn't finish it; I don't think I'm going to get along with it. Alice can be a bit grating at times but Justin and Liam are cool.

Quote from: Pink Gregory on February 20, 2023, 08:24:52 PMEqually Justin (?) did a youtube series on his channel donoteat01 about the development of cities in the 19th to 20th century, as a playthrough of Cities Skylines, the series is called Franklin

I'll definitely have a go at this; I've heard his channel mentioned on WTYP but never got round to checking it out.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Flouncer on February 20, 2023, 08:46:36 PMI'll definitely have a go at this; I've heard his channel mentioned on WTYP but never got round to checking it out.

he hasn't done anything since, which is a shame.  (other than the podcast)

non capisco

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on February 20, 2023, 08:56:32 PMLol

There's a bloke in IT at work called Tod and I saw a Teams message that said "One of the servers has gone down. Tod's on it." Ugh, no wonder.

PlanktonSideburns

Sorry everyone

Todd in the shadows always creases me too

boki

Quote from: Pink Gregory on February 20, 2023, 08:23:19 PMOn Youtube I've been enjoying pop music youtuber Todd in the Shadows, in particular his series One Hit Wonderland and Trainwreckords.
Love his stuff. I was blissfully unaware of Channel Awesome until it all blew up, and shortly after that the algorithm was bringing him to my attention.

You might also like Pat Finnerty's stuff, although it's more rock based.

PlanktonSideburns

Ah yes pat finnerty! Massive recommendation of him, particularly the what makes this song stink videos, they are much greater than the sum of their parts, sound like they're going to be some angry video game nerd shit, but end up being joyous and creative

PlanktonSideburns

Ooh that Bobby Fingers lad who makes dioramas of famous twats, similarly great

bgmnts

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on February 20, 2023, 08:16:36 PMDruidcast- the podcast of druids, lovely folk music throughout

Intrigued, do they just talk about oak trees and Ynys Mon every episode? Might have to listen.

I had to stop watching shit like Nexpo because they make them as clichéd and terrifying as possible and they turn my psychosis level of paranoid imagination up to 11.

When it comes to just chilling out with youtube stuff it's mostly bawkbasoup or Limmy twitch stream clips. OSW review is fun too.

Podcasts is mostly In Our Time and History Hour, unsure if Mince are still getting episodes out there but they used to be a weekly listen.

PlanktonSideburns

chip

Quote from: non capisco on February 20, 2023, 09:12:12 PMThere's a bloke in IT at work called Tod and I saw a Teams message that said "One of the servers has gone down. Tod's on it." Ugh, no wonder.

What Todd, seriously?

bgmnts

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on February 20, 2023, 09:27:34 PMIts like an audio druid newsletter

The host is a bard as well? Downloaded an episode just to see what it were bout and it said that; more intriguing...

Pranet

There are too many podcasts now. I liked it better when there were less podcasts.

I wonder if there is a bubble at the moment sometimes. Lots of podcasts and people seem to be making money from them. But is the advertising really there to pay for them? Anyone know Acast's business model?

Anyway, here is a podcast I listen to. Civil War Talk Radio. An American history professor talks to another American history professor about some book he or she wrote about the American civil war. Boring as fuck a lot of time. I'm not even that interested in the American civil war. That is what I call a podcast.

Cuellar

Love the podcasts where it's just guys going through each episode of some show, minute by minute, without adding anything beyond the odd comment like "I liked that bit when they did that, that was good". Not analysing it, just describing what happens.

Mind-boggling

studpuppet

Quote from: Pranet on February 20, 2023, 10:16:16 PMThere are too many podcasts now. I liked it better when there were less podcasts.

I have the problem that if a podcast is a limited series, I can sometimes literally forget I've listened to it after about a month.

So here's what's on the go at present:

History Of Rock 'n' Roll In 500 Songs This must have been recommended on here in a previous thread - if you can get past the dry, monotone voice it's a staggeringly well-researched series. He's only at episode number 162, and I worry that he won't make it to 500 because his health isn't great. To give you some idea of his commitment, each episode tends to go at least an hour, and there's normally a 10-15min side-episode for a song mentioned in the main ep. - the Tomorrow Never Knows episode was four hours long...

Stuff The British Stole - Aussie series to make you feel less proud about all that looting Britain did in the past.

A Pod Too Far - Rob Hutton and his mate dissect a seventies war film every week.

Svetlana! Svetlana! - a high camp telling of the story of Stalin's daughter.

Gimme Some Truth - a bloke takes those little contentious Beatles arguments (did Ringo drum on 'Dear Prudence?') and researches them to the nth degree.

ProvanFan

Quote from: Rizla on February 20, 2023, 08:28:46 PMamazing deep dive on the career of Paddy McGuinness

Why am I so excited about this?