Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:23:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Celebrity encounters

Started by Bigfella, August 31, 2021, 03:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigfella

Have you or an acquaintance ever met a famous person?  What were they like - grumpy, jolly, drunk?  My cousins in Edinburgh were babysat by Ewen 'spud' Bremner.  Apparently he was sound as a pound, nice, funny guy.  No noncing.  So there you go.

Buelligan

Yes.  Alone once with David Bowie.  He bent down over me, I was sitting, raised his sunglasses, winked and smiled.  I pretended I hadn't noticed.  I had noticed.

Norton Canes

Bought a house off of someone who'd bought their hi-fi speakers off of Howard Jones does that count?

Saw the actual speakers like

Dex Sawash

Told CaB this before but,
Worked on Branford Marsalis' car for a few years until he handed it off to his son who promptly killed it. Normal guy who said "fuck me" or something to that effect when you gave him an estimate for repairs.

Dr Trouser

Izabella Scorupco gave me a snog as she was very drunk and I was in charge of a 100M helicopter. Would recommend

Jockice

Tony Tony Tony

Mentioned this one before, but here goes...

Bumped into Rick Wakeman who offered me use of his spare gloves because I couldn't find mine. In the end I didn't need them as mine turned up.

Later in the evening he passed around a packet of mints, from memory they were Polo Mints. 

The Bumlord

I was working in a court building in London a few years back. On the way out of the toilets I held the door open for a sprightly gent who gave me a nod and a 'thanks'.

"Hmm, he looks like Eric Idle," I pondered.

Then I saw him walking to the stairwell to meet two old gents who looked suspiciously like a certain Jones and Palin, all grinning. Turns out they were being sued by their old manager or somesuch.

Palin sat in the corridor seat opposite me while I was nibbling lunch, making old man 'pom pom pom' noises and tapping his knees.

I concentrated on my baguette as I am a coward.

Rizla

I used to know Ewen a bit. I once took US alt-folk legend Michael Hurley along to a party at his house. That definitely happened, I didn't dream it. No cunt had a clue who he was, unsurprisingly.

Video Game Fan 2000

I egged on a schoolmate as he threw gravel at against the window of a restaurant where rory mcgrath was eating

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: Sherringford Hovis on April 07, 2007, 08:29:26 PMBill Bailey once said "Fuck" when he nearly fell over my dog.

I've been dining out on this one for so many years. In other dog-related celeb news, Nettie Lynton (Helen from Crossroads) thought I was trying to steal their black Labrador when circumstances that would be too unbelievable even for an end-of-the-pier farce led to me hanging out at Nick Mason from Pink Floyd's house one afternoon.

Dave Walliams signed his autobiography for me at our branch of Waterstones.  He was extremely brown-skinned, had incredibly long legs and his hair was so heavily gelled it absolutely shone reflected light from the fixture above.

flotemysost

It's not uncommon to see people of varying degrees of recognisability in my office (mainly reality star- or TV chef-tier, but the occasional A-lister or big musician), but I'm not sure that counts as an interaction if you're just sharing a lift or passing through the lobby - like, I'd smile if I happened to make eye contact (as I would with anyone!), but I wouldn't say hi or anything. However my old job used to involve quite a bit of phone/email contact with vaguely famous people, which I've bored on about on here before.

My brother has a few good anecdotes about musicians he's met on tour, but my favourite he told me recently was how he once raided Edwyn Collins' rider at a festival. Didn't meet him or anything, just scarfed down his leftovers.

Bigfella

Quote from: Buelligan on August 31, 2021, 04:05:33 PM
Yes.  Alone once with David Bowie.  He bent down over me, I was sitting, raised his sunglasses, winked and smiled.  I pretended I hadn't noticed.  I had noticed.
Cool, I find that quite heartwarming.  Not a major Bowie fan, but he seemed like a good bloke. 

BJBMK2

Mother used to be quite friendly with Shaun Ryder and Bez. And that's probably all one can say about that.

My actual celeb encounters have been mainly convention related. Colin Baker, Nicola Bryant, Sophie Aldred, all lovely and chatty. As was Sylvester Mccoy, nice, but very quiet, to himself.

Once got Simon Donald (Viz man), to sign one of my annuals. He seemed a bit pissed off at me because I'd never heard of his stand up career. Which is great. So he told me. Even gave me his book for free to PROVE IT, ALRIGHT?

Shook the hand of Michael Cumming (Brass Eye director man), at a screening of Oxide Ghosts. I was very animated and chatty that day. (Translation: quite drunk). And I think he noticed his, hence his swift departure.

Steve Evets (Looking For Eric, also was once in The Fall, but then again, so are most people from Manchester), used to drink in my local.

paruses

Used to live next door to John Kettley. Really nice man.

bigfatheart

Mate of mine got into an argument with the lead singer of the Spin Doctors. He says that Mr Two Princes was being a cunt, although to be fair he can be a cunt when he wants, so who knows. It was over Catcher in the Rye, for what it's worth.

Best I've got is smiling politely and saying hello to Fred MacAuley outside of one of his gigs.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Patricia Routledge (Mrs Bucket)
Dominic Monaghan (tricksy little hobbitses)
Anne Reid (Anne Reid)
Bob from Teachers

They filmed part of an episode of Hetty Wainthropp Investigates at our house. It was the episode with a schizophrenic in it, who went missing and went to the seaside.

They were all absolute cunts, and smelt heavily of drink from about 10am onwards.

Bad Ambassador

Got an apology from Mark Kermode at a book signing because of a Radio 1 screening the organisers fucked up. Met William Peter Blatty (author of The Exorcist) at the same signing. Very nice and Californian, and looked like an overweight Des O'Connor.

Once on a way to meeting a friend, I remembered the amusing impression of Russell Tovey he did last time I saw him. As I chuckled to myself, around the corner come Tovey himself.

Fr.Bigley

I've had a lock in with Jack black. That my friend's is both true and infinitely quotable.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: BJBMK2 on August 31, 2021, 06:44:17 PM
Once got Simon Donald (Viz man), to sign one of my annuals. He seemed a bit pissed off at me because I'd never heard of his stand up career. Which is great. So he told me. Even gave me his book for free to PROVE IT, ALRIGHT?

I met him after he'd headlined a local comedy night and he was very friendly and cheery, though that's possibly as I'd mentioned how much I'd enjoyed the set, and how amazed I was that he'd produced Viz at an age where I spent all my time in my bedroom masturbating.

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on August 31, 2021, 09:32:45 PM
I've had a lock in with Jack black. That my friend's is both true and infinitely quotable.

I was in the Burger King in Leicester Square one evening minding my own business when I looked out the window and saw Black being carried in a large throne over the heads of a large crowd that had gathered. It was for the premier of the Tenacious D movie, but I hadn't noticed beforehand what was going on and so was quite surprised to suddenly see him.

holdover

My wife worked behind the bar at a Edinburgh Fringe venue in the early 00's. Johnny Vegas was a regular and one night sort of broke down (I think reviews had been bad and he seemed really lost). She gave him and hug and let him chat and calmed him a bit.

One night she was treated to some close up magic, one on one, from the only person in the bar - Jerry Sadowitz.

holyzombiejesus

I've told this on here before and I suspect it's the reason the thread was actually started but I went round to Martin Foyle's house once. He talked about horse racing and said Coronation Street was for women. Martin Foyle.

The Bumlord

Quote from: holdover on August 31, 2021, 09:35:18 PM

One night she was treated to some close up magic, one on one, from the only person in the bar - Jerry Sadowitz.

Ooh, lucky woman.

That sounds sarcastic but it isn't.

another Mr. Lizard

Over the past fifteen years or so, I've been lucky to have interviewed many festival guests and hosted q&a sessions. Was due to chat with Joe Dante last year, cancelled due to Covid. Haven't had too many 'Meg Ryan on Parky' incidents - in the main the people I've spoken with have been great to work alongside, most recently Toyah Willcox (just before she and Fripp discovered YouTube). Also interviewed Edith Scob (Eyes Without a Face, Holy Motors) who was really fun, joyous and full of life (though she died a few months later...)

Oddly I've not had too many chance encounters, other than bumping into Jarvis Cocker and Vic Reeves at St Pancras (on separate occasions, not as a double act)

Neomod

At my Rada audition back in't 80's John 'Day of the Triffids' Duttine was on the panel. Got a recall and I should have seen the warning signs. This time the person I faintly recognised was Ann Beach, the neighbour from Fresh Fields.

Got a G&T given to me by Bjork outside Madame Jo Jo's after a night at Club Indigo.

I won't mention Alison Moyet at an Ocean Colour Scene bar-b-q

Space ghost

I encountered Dexter Fletcher on a deserted beach while I was on lsd.

Kankurette

I met Cerys Matthews after a solo gig in 2006 and managed to not make a twat of myself, despite her being responsible for my bisexual awakening. Her keyboard player gave us crisps. She's very small. I think someone else on here met her and said she was rude and drunk but she was nice when I met her, she signed my ticket even though she had her baby son with her.

Also Tommy Scott from Space is lovely, though he acts like a hyperactive toddler when he's pissed. And I was rude about Prince Philip's hat when I was little. He gave me the evils.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Feel free to tell us more about your bisexual awakening. Provide pictures and diagrams if necessary.