Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:50:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wildlife spotting

Started by Twit 2, August 06, 2018, 12:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Tony Tony

In my back garden the other day when I heard a bird going mental. It was a sort of rasping/clicking noise. Atop a shed in a nearby garden one of the local moggies was perched and obviously on the look out for some prey to have a bit of sport with. Leaping about all around the cat was a magpie keeping just out of paw range and making the cackling noise I had heard. This was obviously some kind of alarm call to ensure the other local wildlife knew about pussy and his evil intentions. I know magpies can be feisty beggars but this took the biscuit. It was like the bird was actually taunting him.

Is this unusual?

Edit: just did a bit of Googling and it seems yer magpie can be pretty fearless https://youtu.be/1Fezl5GCee8

purlieu

Oh yeah, I've seen magpies going after cats and foxes before, really brave birds they can be. Always fun to watch.

Great fly agaric shots on the previous page. Seems to be a bumper year for them, my dad reckons he counted around 200 on our local patch last week.

bgmnts

Quote from: Jittlebags on November 03, 2021, 01:40:06 PM
Last Saturday. Enclosed valley to the south of Dolwyddelan. Vast amounts of fly agaric associated with some conifers:

[/quote

They look amazing. Like something Super Mario could platform on.

Gurke and Hare

I once saw a couple of magpies in the garden successfully taunt a cat into following them into a tree whose branches clearly couldn't support its weight so it was floundering once it got up there. They did seem to know exactly what they were doing.

Bigfella

Please identify a couple of birds I've spotted in the countryside, both small and near hedges.  First one had bright red on the top of it's head, going right down it's back so it looked like long red hair.  It's other main colour was beige/eggshell.  Other one was all light green, kind of dusty looking like a moth is.  Any ideas?

paruses

Where are you? And how big? But first sounds like a redpoll but the red isn't as extensive or vivid as you describe. They are small and streaky brown rather than uniform.

Not sure about the second. Maybe it was a moth.

Bigfella

Quote from: paruses on November 05, 2021, 10:27:48 AM
Where are you? And how big? But first sounds like a redpoll but the red isn't as extensive or vivid as you describe. They are small and streaky brown rather than uniform.

Not sure about the second. Maybe it was a moth.
A few miles south of Glasgow.  The red/beige one maybe a little smaller than a starling.  I know it sounds crazy but I got a good look at it pecking amongst the dirt beside the road. 

Gurke and Hare

How big was the green one?

Bigfella

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on November 05, 2021, 11:25:20 AM
How big was the green one?
Sparrow sized.  If it helps, both were on their own, the local farms are mostly dairy and sheep, no crops.  Small streams and ponds, forests of various sizes and tree species.

Twonty Gostelow

Possibly green woodpecker for the redhead. They spend most of their time feeding on the ground.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Bigfella on November 05, 2021, 11:35:11 AM
                                    Sparrow sized.

Possibly a greenfinch then.

Buelligan

Yes or a yellowhammer, maybe?

A greenfinch and a yellowhammer looking mothy

jobotic

I think nearly every time I've seen a Green Woodpecker it's because it's flown up from the ground after I've disturbed it.

Saw a lovely Stonechat on a hedgerow the other day. I was cycling (slowly so got a good look) but there was car right behind me so couldn't stop get a photo.

Bigfella

The green one was definitely all green, no other colourings.  The red one was nothing like the suggestions.  Thanks for the effort anyway, it's appreciated.  I'll try to take some pictures.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Bigfella on November 05, 2021, 10:16:43 AMFirst one had bright red on the top of it's head, going right down it's back so it looked like long red hair.  It's other main colour was beige/eggshell.
Quote from: Bigfella on November 05, 2021, 10:49:46 AM
The red/beige one maybe a little smaller than a starling.
Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on November 05, 2021, 12:03:25 PM

Quote from: Bigfella on November 05, 2021, 02:42:49 PM
The red one was nothing like the suggestions.

Fuck off.

😌

Bigfella

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on November 05, 2021, 03:00:00 PM
Fuck off.

The bird I saw had a red back, no black in it's face and was a different shape.  Thanks anyway.

purlieu

Greenfinch is our only really green bird, so it's either that or an escaped something.

edit: actually, if you're in Scotland, there's the absolute tiniest possibility it was a male and female crossbill.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Bigfella on November 05, 2021, 03:24:45 PM
Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on November 05, 2021, 03:00:00 PM
Fuck off.

The bird I saw had a red back, no black in it's face and was a different shape.  Thanks anyway.

I was kidding, but making the point that you said it "was nothing like the suggestions", when it was a pretty good approximation from your first description. The green would look beigey at certain times of the year. There's no British bird with red on its head and down its back 'like long red hair'.

Bigfella

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on November 05, 2021, 03:45:31 PM

I was kidding, but making the point that you said it "was nothing like the suggestions", when it was a pretty good approximation from your first description. The green would look beigey at certain times of the year. There's no British bird with red on its head and down its back 'like long red hair'.
I was worried that you thought I was trying to be cheeky!  I know little about birds, but I knew it was something unusual.  I'll try to get a pic, but I can't remember the time of year it was, this took place a good while ago.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Bigfella on November 05, 2021, 04:37:43 PM
                                  I was worried that you thought I was trying to be cheeky!  I know little about birds, but I knew it was something unusual.  I'll try to get a pic, but I can't remember the time of year it was, this took place a good while ago.

Wait, were the birds together? I thought you were talking about two separate occasions.
If they were together then purlieu's suggestion of crossbill mates is a good one. Male red and female green. The male Scottish crossbill has red bits everywhere though - not just a streak down its back, but if it was a long time ago maybe you've forgotten a bit.

jobotic

That did cross my mind, I'd be very jealous.

Perhaps it was a linnet looking behind him?!!

Bigfella

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on November 05, 2021, 04:59:46 PM
Wait, were the birds together? I thought you were talking about two separate occasions.
If they were together then purlieu's suggestion of crossbill mates is a good one. Male red and female green. The male Scottish crossbill has red bits everywhere though - not just a streak down its back, but if it was a long time ago maybe you've forgotten a bit.
Same day, about five minute's walk between them. 

Twit 2

Was out on a boat near Norwich and clocked this seal, 'bout 30 miles inland from the sea (Great Yarmouth), but probably chuffed with the fishing:

Here's a video of the cunt:

https://streamable.com/543amx

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Twit 2 on November 05, 2021, 05:54:42 PM
Was out on a boat near Norwich and clocked this seal, 'bout 30 miles inland from the sea (Great Yarmouth), but probably chuffed with the fishing:

Here's a video of the cunt:

https://streamable.com/543amx

Nice. Stating the obvious but plenty of salmon still swimming upriver to spawn right now, so some maverick seals will take long trips from the sea to find them.

Twit 2

No salmon but plenty of pike and other big fish.

Twonty Gostelow

Love these contrasting photos of summer and winter ibexes in France.

AzureSky

I saw a Mediterranean Monk Seal off the coast of Madeira last week, apparently very rare, only 500 left in the world and around 30 off Madeira. We were on a boat trip to see dolphins and the guy stopped the boat after he had spotted it, he said how lucky we were to see it.

Spoon of Ploff

anyone want to guess what this is?

Twit 2

Dex Sawash

Lamb shank that has gone off