Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:49:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RHLSTP Revived

Started by Tony Tony Tony, February 08, 2023, 10:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: Mobbd on February 24, 2023, 10:39:21 AMThat one didn't make it to YouTube. Do you know if it can still be watched somewhere?

Herring brought up his stone clearing in the latest RHLSTP and for the first time in ages it actually appealed to my imagination, god help me.

Here you go
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/585484638

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=richard+herring+stone+clearing+

You don't get the Twitch comments with folks joining in with the running jokes etc but they are still enjoyable videos if you like this kind of nonsense

Mobbd

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on February 24, 2023, 02:47:19 PMHere you go
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/585484638

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=richard+herring+stone+clearing+

You don't get the Twitch comments with folks joining in with the running jokes etc but they are still enjoyable videos if you like this kind of nonsense

Ah! Thanks Laura. I did't know Twitch archived anything; thought it was live and that's that. I am a fucking idiot. Cheers.

selectivememory

Tim Key on the latest one 👍

Huxwell

I'm really surprised Frank Skinner has never been on. I think they're friendly with each other, they're both with Avalon and Frank could knock it out half-asleep.

frajer

Lovely stuff, looking forward to giving the Key ep a listen. Always on tremendous form.

Him walking around a closed-off art gallery in London with Adam Buxton is a contender for my favourite podcast episode ever.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Huxwell on March 01, 2023, 03:04:05 PMI'm really surprised Frank Skinner has never been on. I think they're friendly with each other, they're both with Avalon and Frank could knock it out half-asleep.
I asked Herring this a few years ago on Twitter, he said he'd tried but wasn't able to get him on. As you say, he seems like a weird omission but I suppose having a weekly radio show for the past decade makes it a bit of a busman's holiday to be nattering on podcasts.

The Tim Key one is great, as you'd expect. He's such an odd presence on this sort of show, weirdly aggressive but in a totally unthreatening way.

Huxwell

Quote from: Utter Shit on March 01, 2023, 03:37:57 PMI asked Herring this a few years ago on Twitter, he said he'd tried but wasn't able to get him on. As you say, he seems like a weird omission but I suppose having a weekly radio show for the past decade makes it a bit of a busman's holiday to be nattering on podcasts.
Thanks. That makes sense. There's still a chance he will do it at some point then, if everything lines up.

Mobbd

Thosworth

Quote from: Huxwell on March 01, 2023, 03:04:05 PMI'm really surprised Frank Skinner has never been on. I think they're friendly with each other, they're both with Avalon and Frank could knock it out half-asleep.

We've discussed Frank's huge sensitivity to everything even approaching criticism* (which essentially covers anything less that total unadulterated praise).

Considering Herring's often teasing interview style it would probably end incredibly badly (unlike Stephen Merchant there would definitely not be a return appearance).

*Which, to be fair, he has too

Huxwell

I didn't know that about Frank. I would have thought he'd not give a shit.

turnstyle

Ironically, he hates it when other people are frank. 

sutin

Fun Time Franky? Surely not.

badaids

Quote from: Thosworth on March 01, 2023, 06:03:03 PMWe've discussed Frank's huge sensitivity to everything even approaching criticism* (which essentially covers anything less that total unadulterated praise).

Considering Herring's often teasing interview style it would probably end incredibly badly (unlike Stephen Merchant there would definitely not be a return appearance).

*Which, to be fair, he has too

Isn't he a proper god botherer too?

The Bumlord

Frank is officially "a bit of a git" as per the radio shows, isn't he?

Rankersbo

Quote from: badaids on March 02, 2023, 08:53:00 AMIsn't he a proper god botherer too?

Catholic, he openly jokes about it, moreso than being teetotal due to  alcoholism in his younger years.

Tony Yeboah

Skinner has recently been openly talking about leaving his Sky Arts shows because he was told the staff did not like working with him. It was something that was reported in Popbitch at the time. He has also said that he gives a speech to the crew before TV projects, telling them how lucky they are to be there and that he used to work with people in factories who he had no doubt were smarter and more deserving of the position the crew were in. Even if there is some truth in that it is hardly going to foster the best atmosphere!

MigraineBoy

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on March 02, 2023, 11:23:50 AMHe has also said that he gives a speech to the crew before TV projects, telling them how lucky they are to be there and that he used to work with people in factories who he had no doubt were smarter and more deserving of the position the crew were in. Even if there is some truth in that it is hardly going to foster the best atmosphere!

In the right hands a "We are all lucky to be here" speech could be a unifier that fosters a good working environment.  On the flipside "You should feel lucky to be here" probably doesn't.

Jack Shaftoe

That's such bollocks, I've worked in factories and been on tv sets and they're both really hard work. Being part of a tv crew arguably more difficult as on the factory lines I worked on you could just switch off your brain and listen to audiobooks, not something that's really available if you're a carpenter or doing the sound or lighting or whatever.

Key

He got in a mega sulk recently when Sophie of Wessex semi-jokingly criticised his singing at some event. I mean I do like Frank but his singing is empirically crap on the level of Cilla Black.

frajer

Interesting to read the above, I'd heard Skinner was prickly but didn't realise he was quite that bad. I thought Frank came across well when he joined Dr Buckles for a ramblechat, but I suppose it's a more amiable and laidback affair than the RHLSTP dynamic.

From the Buxton pod, I still chuckle when I remember Skinner pausing and then asking with seemingly genuine curiosity, "Is Billy Bob Thornton's full name... William Robert Thornton?"

sutin

I like how Tim Key is becoming a RHLSTP regular. He has genuinely great chemistry with Herring.

Mobbd

Quote from: frajer on March 02, 2023, 02:46:50 PMI remember Skinner pausing and then asking with seemingly genuine curiosity, "Is Billy Bob Thornton's full name... William Robert Thornton?"

That was quality.

I like Skinner's Culture Show interview with Mark E Smith too, which I think he discussed on that podcast. "Sorry." Haha. I used to have the full (leaked?) version saved for 'watch later' on YouTube but it seems to have gone.

The Bumlord

I recall Frank also received a most displeased letter from the usually lovely Gene Wilder telling him it was the worst interview he'd ever been subjected to.

Man's a monster.

Thosworth

A remark Frank made in semi-jest which has stayed with me was "Treat your staff badly and you get 70% effort, but treat them well and you'll get ... 40%"

PlanktonSideburns

Is that true?

You get about 10 percent and a kettle full of piss if you fuck me about

I'm about 70percent on a good day if I like you

Tokyo van Ramming

Another, perhaps more notable omission, would be Kevin Eldon. Just had a quick look and couldn't find an episode with him in.

Was on the tube a few weeks ago and he was there too, hugging Simon Munnery with a goodbye. It was very sweet to see.

AzureSky

Quote from: Tokyo van Ramming on March 03, 2023, 09:10:33 PMAnother, perhaps more notable omission, would be Kevin Eldon. Just had a quick look and couldn't find an episode with him in.

Was on the tube a few weeks ago and he was there too, hugging Simon Munnery with a goodbye. It was very sweet to see.

I was waiting at the bar at The Nightingales gig last year in London, when I turned around saw Kevin Eldon. I said "Is your name Kevin?" he said yes and we had a chat, he is a very nice man. I asked him about Herring's "The actor Kevin Eldon" reference and he said it comes from what Herring would think his obituary would open with... "The actor Kevin Eldon has died today". Nice to see him and Stew both out at the gig together.

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: Dineen on March 03, 2023, 09:30:57 PMI was waiting at the bar at The Nightingales gig last year in London, when I turned around saw Kevin Eldon. I said "Is your name Kevin?" he said yes and we had a chat, he is a very nice man. I asked him about Herring's "The actor Kevin Eldon" reference and he said it comes from what Herring would think his obituary would open with... "The actor Kevin Eldon has died today". Nice to see him and Stew both out at the gig together.

Strange that Herring hasn't mentioned the origin of that on the podcast (as far as I remember), thought he'd turned out his entire mind already. For all the criticism though, it's a great pod and a perfect zesty morning listen.

Snrub

I'm sure Rich has said something like that The Actor Kevin Eldon is actually quite shy so doesn't do anything like this but does ask him every so often. Might be mixing up with someone else though to be fair

centristmelt

The latest Tim Key one is amazing. Laughed out loud countless times.