Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:01:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Post your favourite Kate Bush thing

Started by chocolate teapot, February 27, 2016, 12:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

Quote from: Kankurette on September 02, 2023, 10:35:58 PMI should probably make a separate High Fidelity Bitching Thread, but one of the things that really, really pissed me off about that book - and I've mentioned this before, I know - was when Rob goes to a nice couple's house, they're friends with Laura, and looks at their record collection and discovers it's full of artists he and Nick Hornby consider to be terrible. One of said artists is Kate Bush. I can guarantee that Bush is far more interesting and innovative than half of the boring shite Nick Hornby likes. IDGAF if she's not 'authentic' or whatever.

Hornby has zero music taste credibility. His review of Kid A, shellshocked by the sound of a rock band not using guitars, is very telling.

Kankurette

I'm reading it and it's an awful lot of words to say 'waahhhh how dare Radiohead not do another Pablo Honey, the BASTARDS'. And it's not even that unlistenable or complicated. Kid A sounds like a Steps album compared to, say, some of the bands Mollusk posts here (that's not a dig btw, I've found some great bands through that guy).

Speaking of weird albums, didn't The Dreaming get panned? It's not exactly poppy, sure, but that doesn't make it a BAD album.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Kankurette on September 02, 2023, 11:43:11 PMSpeaking of weird albums, didn't The Dreaming get panned? It's not exactly poppy, sure, but that doesn't make it a BAD album.
I believe the record company hated it, as it didn't have any 'singles' on it.
Which is why she recorded HOL after which had loads of singles on it, as a fuck you to them?
Though, as much as I love her, I'm no expert. That could be balls.

dontpaintyourteeth

Seems like the reception at the time (not that I was alive, mind, so maybe someone will correct me) was mostly "it's good if you stick with it, but it's not very commercial" which seems fair enough

We used to have 6music on a lot at my old job and I seemed to hear Sat In Your Lap a lot on there for some reason (wasn't complaining though obviously, it's great), almost as much as stuff from HoL

axel2019

Not my favourite Kate Bush thing (that would be Woman's Work on Wogan), but this TV appearance dancing to Heavy People is interesting.
https://youtu.be/OhaFau6d7dY?si=vzOlh7t1wKmj4r6D

Artie Fufkin

Glebe

Yeah thanks for that Axel! Flipping 'eck, got to be her strangest TV appearance!

Natnar

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on September 03, 2023, 02:23:38 AMI believe the record company hated it, as it didn't have any 'singles' on it.
Which is why she recorded HOL after which had loads of singles on it, as a fuck you to them?
Though, as much as I love her, I'm no expert. That could be balls.

I think EMI gave up promoting The Dreaming in the UK pretty soon after it was released, There Goes A Tenner flopping in the charts didn't help things either. I think she came quite close to being dropped by EMI then too. Luckily by the time she was ready to release Hounds Of Love they were more receptive to her.

kalowski

Quote from: axel2019 on September 20, 2023, 05:04:35 AMNot my favourite Kate Bush thing (that would be Woman's Work on Wogan), but this TV appearance dancing to Heavy People is interesting.
https://youtu.be/OhaFau6d7dY?si=vzOlh7t1wKmj4r6D

I have no desire to simply sexualise her, she is an incredible artist but by god she is gorgeous in this.

You have every right to bollock me.

Jockice

Quote from: Kankurette on September 02, 2023, 10:35:58 PMI should probably make a separate High Fidelity Bitching Thread, but one of the things that really, really pissed me off about that book - and I've mentioned this before, I know - was when Rob goes to a nice couple's house, they're friends with Laura, and looks at their record collection and discovers it's full of artists he and Nick Hornby consider to be terrible. One of said artists is Kate Bush. I can guarantee that Bush is far more interesting and innovative than half of the boring shite Nick Hornby likes. IDGAF if she's not 'authentic' or whatever.

Start that thread. I mean, I quite like the book and the film but would love to know what people think.

Did you know The Undertones once asked him to write sleevenotes for one of their many compilations but he told them he wasn't a fan? Which makes him very suspect in my eyes.