Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 11:58:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Never work with children or animals

Started by splattermac, May 13, 2005, 12:01:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

splattermac

Hardly music to your ears but a popular gimmick nonetheless.

I was listening to a pretty crappy various album called Favela Booty Beats and one of the tracks sounds as if it's being sung by a drunk ten year old and this reminded me of a track by Seelenluft called 'Manila'

QuoteSeelenluft's massive playground hip-house disco mash up, MANILA, has landed featuring the super surreal vocal talents of Compton's very own 12-year-old rapper Michael Smith. The sheer craziness of this kids lyrics is brilliant, sitting ever so nicely off key and awkwardly over Seelenluft's bass heavy
tweaks and bleeps.

video here http://tinyurl.com/8cgme

So...

Recently I've been noticing kids appearing in tracks, some old some new, they've always been knocking around but are they suddenly flavour of the month? I was on a blog earlier that mentioned a covers album done by kids called 'Kidz Bop' where they tackle things like Franz Ferdinand, U2 and Gwen Stefani.

The video to one of the covers here http://tinyurl.com/72sw3

It's all awful really but I'm a sucker for a cover no matter how bad.

A couple that spring to mind other than Donnie Osmond and Kris Kross.

Kids swearing rather nicely on Yo La Tengo's cover of Sun Ra's - Nuclear War

Then you have the Belgian all girls choir 'Scala' singing Bowie and Depeche Mode, Kylie and Radiohead, and not forgetting the Divinyl's 'I touch myself' :/ steady on.

Link to the tracks they cover http://tinyurl.com/d3t3o

I grabbed a quick listen to the new Gorillaz LP and there are some kids singing backing on one of the tracks.

Can't have a thread about kids without mentioning Michael Jackson, as a child singer of course! Right, that's him mentioned.

I would've liked to be have been smart enough to drop in a few unusual animal records seeing as I mention them in the thread title, perhaps one where an elephant banged a gong or a parrot sung backing vocals but I can't think of any, help me out here.

What are you still doing up, isn't it past your bed time?

The Langley Schools Music Project is a good one, it's basically just a school assembly from somewhere in America singing various pop/rock covers like Good Vibrations, God Only Knows, Sweet Caroline, Band on the Run etc. Very funny in parts (loads of off-key singing) but rather haunting in others. Certainly worth a listen.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: "splattermac"I would've liked to be have been smart enough to drop in a few unusual animal records seeing as I mention them in the thread title, perhaps one where an elephant banged a gong or a parrot sung backing vocals but I can't think of any, help me out here.

OK, how about Caninus, a grindcore band fronted by two pitbull terriers...

...or the truly inspired Hatebeak, a death-metal band fronted by a parrot. This is their debut album entitled The Beak of Putrefaction...

sam and janet evening

Quote from: "Ghost of Troubled Joe"The Langley Schools Music Project is a good one, it's basically just a school assembly from somewhere in America singing various pop/rock covers like Good Vibrations, God Only Knows, Sweet Caroline, Band on the Run etc. Very funny in parts (loads of off-key singing) but rather haunting in others. Certainly worth a listen.

Yay! Lovely little album that, 'Desperado' in particular is a gem.
The Clash had Kids ruining 'Career Opertunities' and 'Guns of Brixton' on Sandinista.
Deeply disturbing use of Children crying on 'The Kids' by Lou Reed.

Labian Quest

Quote from: "Jim"...or the truly inspired Hatebeak, a death-metal band fronted by a parrot. This is their debut album entitled The Beak of Putrefaction...

(picture)

Judas Priests' lawyers will be 'Screaming for vengeance:

Neville Chamberlain

I thought the cover looked vaguely familiar!

splattermac

I knew there had to be a singing parrot out there somewhere but 'Hatebeak' is beyond my wildest (and wettest) dreams.

Ah, Langley Schools Project, that's the one I couldn't remember last night with all my dodgy google keywords of 'school' and 'children'

Obvious Judas plagiarism joke... breakin' the law breakin' the law (or beakin' the law...*groan*)

another Mr. Lizard

I've got a magnificent album by Old Skull, a U.S. hardcore punk trio with an average age of about 9 (at the time the l.p. was recorded, circa 1990).

Another favourite is a Jamaican import reggae 7" I bought in 1980 after hearing Peely play it to death on his show - 'A1 Sound' by Captain Sinbad . "Let me tell you 'bout the A1 sound" sings the Captain, followed by a juvenile, quizzical cry of "eh?" from some little lad. This is repeated several times during the chorus. Utterly brilliant

mwude

Where do the kids singing Queen's "We will rock you" come from?

As featured in Loo & Placido's rather nice Kids Rock.

I'm utterly amazed that the kid from that Seelenluft track was only 12 at the time.  What a great individual voice.  And they were his own lyrics as well?  Blimey!  Good skills, sunshine.

chand

Quote from: "Jim"
Quote from: "splattermac"I would've liked to be have been smart enough to drop in a few unusual animal records seeing as I mention them in the thread title, perhaps one where an elephant banged a gong or a parrot sung backing vocals but I can't think of any, help me out here.

(picture)

...or the truly inspired Hatebeak, a death-metal band fronted by a parrot. This is their debut album entitled The Beak of Putrefaction...

(picture)

See, this is why I love this place. Awesome.

kidsick5000

Quote from: "Jim"

(picture)

(picture)

You dont work for Blender do you? Either that, or you might read it I guess