Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 09:58:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Two Little Boys

Started by Melth, May 17, 2005, 04:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melth

Does anyone know of any version of this song not recorded by Rolf Harris?

Jemble Fred

Only the one I did with my Nu-Wave SkifflePunk band at University. It was shit.

Melth

Did you change the lyrics at all?

Jemble Fred

Probably got them slightly wrong, but that's about it. Sorry!

Captain Crunch

Splongenesabounds - I'm sure I've spelt that wrong - did a fantastic punk version.

A Passing Turk Slipper

There was some dodgy punk cover of this wasn't there that got fairly high in the charts. I'll try and find it.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Ah, found it. It was by 'Splodgenessabounds' and it got to 26 in 1980.

Melth

Cheers. Will try and track it down

Captain Crunch

I think it's on 'The Best Punk Album in the World EVER' comp, part 1.  (er, it was a present honest).

The Mumbler

Max Splodge made something of a meal of the notion that the Splodge reading of Two Little Boys had upset Rolf.  Well, so Rolf said anyway - and in fact that was all that had upset Rolf.  Namely, the pretence that he'd been upset by the cover.

El Unicornio, mang

Spud does a 'version' in Trainspotting

another Mr. Lizard

Myself and a mate are currently trawling through my collection of 7" singles - my pal is making a note of what I've got, in order to 'value' them by looking on eBay etc.  (he's under the impression that he will be able to steal and flog them one day, or maybe he's hoping I leave them to him in my will). We've not reached the 'S' section yet but when we do I'm pretty sure I'll be digging out and playing 'Two Little Boys' by Splodgnessabounds. They were, of course, the band also responsible for the track 'Two Pints Of Lager And A Packet Of Crisps Please'.

I've had my eye on a cheap Rolf Harris compilation CD, spotted in the racks at my local record emporium during the last couple of weeks...

Rovis Teffyd

Quote from: "The Mumbler"Max Splodge made something of a meal of the notion that the Splodge reading of Two Little Boys had upset Rolf.  Well, so Rolf said anyway - and in fact that was all that had upset Rolf.  Namely, the pretence that he'd been upset by the cover.

If that was the case, then why did they feature a tribute of sorts to Rolf on their debut album (which I'll admit to owning, with inserts):

Rolf I want to be near you
Rolf I want to be with you
Rolf I've got your picture on my wall
Rolf I love you most of all...

rolfiloveyou rolfiloveyou rolfiloveyou rolfiloveyou
ROLF. I. LOVE. YOU.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "another Mr. Lizard"Myself and a mate are currently trawling through my collection of 7" singles - my pal is making a note of what I've got, in order to 'value' them by looking on eBay etc.  (he's under the impression that he will be able to steal and flog them one day, or maybe he's hoping I leave them to him in my will).
There's always the trusty Record Collector Rare Record Price Guide as well.  If you must.  If you ever do consider selling anything, please aim in my direction first if possible.  Ta.  :-)

another Mr. Lizard

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"If you ever do consider selling anything, please aim in my direction first if possible.  

Perhaps I'll leave them all to you in my will, Sheepy! At least I'll know they've gone to a good and appreciative home.

The Mumbler

Quote from: "Rovis Teffyd"If that was the case, then why did they feature a tribute of sorts to Rolf on their debut album (which I'll admit to owning, with inserts):

Ah, fair enough.  It was just that Rolf was interviewed many years after the event, and that's how he remembered it.  The song (composed in 1903) clearly meant a lot to Rolf - he was sniffling as it faded out even when he chose it on Desert Island Discs.

Melth

Quote from: "The Mumbler"
Quote from: "Rovis Teffyd"If that was the case, then why did they feature a tribute of sorts to Rolf on their debut album (which I'll admit to owning, with inserts):

Ah, fair enough.  It was just that Rolf was interviewed many years after the event, and that's how he remembered it.  The song (composed in 1903) clearly meant a lot to Rolf - he was sniffling as it faded out even when he chose it on Desert Island Discs.

Any chance of getting hold of this appearance?

Rolf once appeared on TV, recalling the time he first heard the song, played to him by a friend who suggested that he cover it. Initially, he took the suggestion as an insult to his masculinity but, typically enough, was in tears by the final lines.

The Mumbler

Not from me, I regret to say.  I just happened to hear it when it was transmitted.  I think it was about 1998.

mwude

Here's a list of records entitled 'Two Little Boys'

Although whether any of the ones by the Bradywine Singers, Ron Coden, Rusty Draper, etc are versions of the same song or merely share the title I'm afraid I couldn't be sure.