Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,800
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:02:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Colin Newman [Wire]

Started by benthalo, May 24, 2005, 05:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benthalo

A ninety-minute interview with Newman will be transmitted tonight at 20:30 on Resonance FM, as part of the Scratching The Surface series. Usually a good show, so one to tune in to.

More here:

http://www.resonancefm.com/

Peking O

I know it's the done thing to talk about early Wire, but I've been listening to "A Bell is a Cup Until it is Struck" a lot recently. There are some really great moments on it. "Kidney Bingos" is a marvelous pop song. Also, for some reason (perhaps they were on it?) it brings back a lot of memories of watching Snub TV.

benthalo

They made that lovely film of Eardrum Buzz for Snub. I love the sinking bass at the start of Kidney Bingos.

The Mute albums are smashing (as is the new stuff like Send) but 'Drill' alone is something to treasure. There's a great live version recorded at Disobey in 1996 which ought to be available. MTV used to show a film of it all the time.

Peking O

Eardrum Buzz is one of those songs I can't dislodge from my head once heard. In fact, just seeing the title written down has me humming the chorus. I suppose that's the point isn't it? Zee Zee Zee Zum Zum...

benthalo

I thought that was a smashing programme. I never thought I'd hear Wire covering The Dave Clarke Five.

And remember kids - the next time you see Colin Newman in the street, steal his iPod.

23 Daves

Wasn't Kidney Bingoes built entirely around cut up tabloid headlines?  "Kidney Bingoes/ Organ Fun..."

It's probably one of my favourite Wire songs of all time.  A lot of the eighties albums are rot, to be fair (everyone can live without "The Ideal Copy", and "Manscape" is just atrocious) but their singles of the period are wonderful.

Neville Chamberlain

Is this interview available anywhere online still? Only I just saw this topic when I got to work this morning...