Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,792
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:53:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recommend me some shit

Started by InfiniteFury, May 28, 2005, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

InfiniteFury

I'm hopeless at finding new music. I absolutely love Mogwai, Spiritualized, Low all that kind of stuff but what would you recommend to someone like me?

There was a Japanese white-noise rock band who seemed quite interesting called Poly-something but I can't remember.

It's got to be melodic, original and loud at least occasionally.
Any suggestions?

Lee

Melodic guitary stuff: Labradford, Low

Noise: Merzbow, Cock ESP

Enjoy.

InfiniteFury

Ta, I shall get cracking onto them.

Anyone know the name of that Japanese band?

wheatgod

InfiniteFury

Excellent, just listening to them now - class.

Pepotamo1985

I can recommend almost anything by Devin Townsend. In particular, Terria and Ocean Machine; Biomech. Both are superb, mind-altering albums that clock in at more than 70 minutes each.

Not sure whether you've ever indulged in the man's music, but Frank Zappa is a good bet too. We're Only In It For The Money or Over-nite Sensation are recommended as your first download/purchase.

Rats

Try "thingy" sorry, don't have anything to put up

InfiniteFury

I've just listened to 'Neu' by Polysics about 4 times and it just gets better and better.

Must. Stop. Listening. Will......Overkill.....

EDIT - by the way, is it pronounced:

a) Polly Six
or
b) PoLYsicks (you know, like polyphony)

yak

You should really try some rolling beat or liquid funk. Its drum and bass but not how you might remember it. Best to start off with Calibre, then move on to the more dubby side of things. 'Hypnotise' and 'drop it down', there's better available but I reckon those two tunes are the most instantly accessible to the untrained ear.

Or maybe mentioning anything to do with dance music on CAB is a major folly as anything that doesn't have a) a wailing guitar or b) a mopey front man doesn't count as music here. La di dah.

Lee

Quote from: "InfiniteFury"Ta, I shall get cracking onto them.
Let me know what you think of Cock ESP. They certainly seem to have a... niche appeal.

Oh, and if you're struggling, send me a PM and I'll chuck some stuff your way.

wheatgod

InfiniteFury

However you pronounce it, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this is the coolest band photo ever:

Oh please, they just don't compare to the originals:

monkhouse terror

If you like Polysics you'll probably like Devo.

Edit: As the above picture was probably attempting to show but isn't working.

NoSleep

Quote from: "V"It Bites

LOLOL

Sam

I second the Devin Towsend recommendation. Check this thread for specific album recommendations:

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=2003&highlight=devin+townsend

(Post edited to remove drunken nonsense)

HKmA

Dillinger Escape Plan - loud in parts and melodic in parts, as asked for. I'd recommend you give 'When Good Dogs Do Bad Things' (with Mike Patton providing vocals) and 'Baby's First Coffin.' I'm not sure if this is exactly what you mean, but give it a whizz.

Also (perhaps more relevant) Neurosis. Try and find 'Falling Unkown' from their album 'A Sun That Never Sets' or 'Burn' from 'The Eye Of Every Storm.' If you find you like, those two albums are well worth owning. And they will also lead you on to other similar kind of stuff (mainly Isis and Pelican).

Have fun!

Sam

"Calculating Infinity" is probably the best place to start with Dillinger Escape Plan. It does have some very nice melodic parts but the heavy parts are so intense and frenetic that I don't think it's the kind of the thing the thread-starter was after.

Suttonpubcrawl

Ha, I just went to the Polysics website and was reading their diary column type thing. It's excellent, there's one where they describe how they caught the bus (!) to St Paul's and enjoyed a bit of tourism. Whoever writes the column seems to have an almost insane enthusiasm for everything, it's really rather nice. It's made me want to enjoy their music, so I suppose I'll go and see if I can download any to see what it's like.

InfiniteFury

Grab yourself Neu - as an album I reckon it's better than Polysics or Die which is a greatest hits sort of thing.

I'd leave my Soulseek thingie on but I'm going out for the day and I don't like leaving my PC on - if you can wait til later, I'll drop in here when I'm switched on.

InfiniteFury

Quote from: "Suttonpubcrawl"Ha, I just went to the Polysics website and was reading their diary column type thing. It's excellent, there's one where they describe how they caught the bus (!) to St Paul's and enjoyed a bit of tourism. Whoever writes the column seems to have an almost insane enthusiasm for everything, it's really rather nice. It's made me want to enjoy their music, so I suppose I'll go and see if I can download any to see what it's like.

'Tonight was a litte disappointing - tomorrow, we must ROCK harder.'

fEDORA

Tina

a bit jazzier than mogwai but very easy going and relaxing, and im totally pigging out on them right now - zero7.

:)

chand

Fulfulling the Mogwai-ish and Japanese boxes in one fell swoop, the mighty Mono. Uploaded this ages back, it's probably not their best song but it has some pretty melodies and a satisfyingly loud crescendo:

Mono - 'Jackie Says'

Sid8800

Explosions in the sky are a mogwai type band, but with better melodies. 65 days of static are heavier than mogwai and also have techno bits in songs. Oceansize are also quite good. Desparacious are my fave band at the moment. Rival schools have that melodic but also loud thing.