Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:50:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Crepuscular instrumental/ambient/drone albums

Started by itsfredtitmus, March 24, 2022, 04:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsfredtitmus

I love listening to Le Fumeur De Ciel by Julien Neto, it feels like it exists in a universe totally of its own, filled wholly with poignant debris gliding across grief-ridden puddles and twilight, starry moons shining omnipresent lights on you from afar

chutnut

Yeah that's lovely, there's some great albums on Type

Mokira - Album

Deaf Center - Pale Ravine

itsfredtitmus

this Mokira is lovely!!! nice and womby and watery and a tad creepy to even things out, this type of music is so reassuring dont you think

purlieu

Ah, I loved Type before John Twells became a bit of a hipster and started focusing on Popular Experimental Genre of the Day. A lot of those earlier releases blending the click & cuts style with modern classical sounds really had their own vibe. All very laptoppy sounding which went totally out of fashion to be replaced with analogue synth stuff which still seems to be the case, but I'm all about bringing this sound back.

Can absolutely recommend that Deaf Center album, an all-time top 10 record for me. Their debut EP Neon City is possibly even closer to the Julien Neto record.

The first few Murcof albums are wonderful too. I've still got my fingers cross he finally comes back to his Oceano album, and whatever the F record would be, because all his other projects in the intervening years have been underwhelming.

I love Christopher Bissonnette's acoustic-based material, particularly his first two albums. Not so keen on his modular synth stuff recently, but some of his earlier tracks are stunners.

Also a big fan of this early Type album, It's All Just Another Aspect of Mannerism by Logreybeam.

purlieu

Oh, and on the jazzier end, some of the Norwegian artists like Arve Henriksen, Jan Bang and Eivind Aarset are doing this kind of thing with more live instrumentation. Jon Hassell had Bang and Aarset in his live band for a while, and the music was stunning.
I'm hoping ECM re-press Last Night the Moon Came Dropping its Clothes in the Street because it's an astonishing record, a wonderfully haunting, nocturnal atmosphere with a seamless blend of live improvisation and electronics. It's so ludicrously expensive on the second hand market these days.

A few other favourites from this lot:

itsfredtitmus

i will eventually catch up with this thread but I have a bad habit of being scared of looking at replies and I'm not the music-gremlin I wish I was when I was 14

fucking hell :( there's just something about this album and I don't know what it is... it makes me want to WEEP! it reminds me of times before knowing what grief felt like... before heartbreak... a sort of 'before'? i hope someone else knows what I mean, even if this album doesn't resonate with them as much as it does me

even my fave boards of canada or eno don't do this to me, or other any ambient stuff.

Shaky

Celer have released countless albums since 2005 and their recent (and supposedly final) one is great:

Also love this one from Tape Loop Orchestra, based around a few lines from a Bogart flick:

Dyl Spinks

Some great recommendations on this thread; I'll work my way through them.

For whole albums in this vein, I can't see past Stars of the Lid. Just sublime.

I've been listening to a lot of the French artist Ocouer lately. Beautiful. Very Eno/Bladerunner-influenced with a bit of - occasionally - Aphex Twin-type touches: https://youtu.be/3HomIcyF2_w

I love Brian and Roger Eno's Mixed Colours from 2020 (the expanded edition has the gorgeous "Slow Movement: Sand" to close the album).

Daniel Lanois's spaced-out ambient stuff isn't to be sniffed at, either. I love the Goodbye to Language album.

JohnnyCouncil

This album really did change my life.

Also this, unique in Mr Mass' discography...

I believe it is the song Chernobyl which soundtrack's the central scene in A Field In England

Sebastian Cobb

Blanck Mass also did a sick soundtrack for Calm With Horses.

purlieu

Recently discovered ILUITEQ's stunning album Soundtracks for Winter Departures and thought it would be suitable for this thread, in particular these two tracks: