Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:02:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Frightened Rabbit

Started by Ferris, May 05, 2022, 03:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Like most people, I have a backlog of artists I've meant to listen to but never found time. I also have a research/development consulting gig over summer - lots of reading and searching, so I'm trying to listen to new stuff as I go (or at least, new to me).

Started with Frightened Rabbit, if only because I'm coming to terms with my own mental health issues (not major, but persistent) and my growing longing to see Edinburgh again (and Scotland in general), a place I miss very much.

Went for The Midnight Organ Fight and Pedestrian Verse more or less at random. Really enjoyed them both - exactly what you'd expect from that era of Scottish indie band, but made more poignant by Scott Hutchison's troubles and death.

Are there any records I'm missing? I don't feel the need to dwell on the band (and I'm assuming I'll be making a few of these threads as I tick off music I should really already know) but I'd like to feel I've given them a full listen before I move elsewhere.

Or just tell me why you like them (or don't), that's alright too. Ok cheers.

jamiefairlie

Also add the record he made as 'Owl John'.

purlieu

I always found the later albums a touch underwhelming, but absolutely love Sing the Greys. It's a little rawer and more fraught than the ones you've heard, which maybe works better for me. 'Square Nine' is my favourite Frightened Rabbit song.

SweetPomPom

Midnight Organ Fight is the one for me - does everything you need. Well worth checking out The Twilight Sad's cover of Keep Yourself Warm, 's very good indeed.

AzureSky

Dance Music by Mastersystem. Heart breaking lyrics from Scott, he tells you he's had enough very clearly. Last song, Bird Is Bored of Flying, is a goodbye. Released a month before his death.

timbis

Quote from: SweetPomPom on May 05, 2022, 01:03:24 PMMidnight Organ Fight is the one for me - does everything you need. Well worth checking out The Twilight Sad's cover of Keep Yourself Warm, 's very good indeed.

Always makes me cry.

SweetPomPom

Quote from: timbis on May 06, 2022, 10:47:04 AMAlways makes me cry.

Every time I've seen them play it, he's been bawling his eyes out by the halfway mark.

LordMorgan

Love Frightened Rabbit, seen them a few times and I was quite effected by Scott's death

I think their album Painting of a panic attack is fantastic
My second favourite record of theirs after the midnight organ fight

Produced by Arron dessner from the national. Some beautiful songs, lyrics very raw,especially when listening with hindsight. 

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Head and shoulders above most similar bands of the same era. Lyrics are almost disturbing to listen to now, like reading a suicide note. I mean 'Floating in the Forth' pretty much describes fantasising about the way he would actually kill him self later. Conequently have a difficult time listening as some of it cuts a little close to my personal bone (Fnarr fnarr).

As mentioned Midnight Organ Fight is probably the one, but later albums all have some decent stuff on.

Ferris

I'm still listening to FR and as much as I think they were a brilliant studio outfit, I think the songs have a real value as covers. They are so well realized and so well written.

This version of "the Woodpile" is a great example of what is still being done with Scot's music.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cWjtPex6s-4

Ferris

Bizarre coincidence, I know a member of Wintersleep so I have something to ask him ("how did you know FR?") next time I see him.

Ferris

That version is bloody awful so I might not mention it tbh.

checkoutgirl

How do these dudes not pop out every now and again? Not deliberately. Just accidentally. Like that guy yungboy. He was jumping around. How did he not pop out? Miracle. Not that I would have enjoyed him popping out. I mean. Not healthy to imagine a boy popping out. Big or small not healthy. At all. Could have caught him unaware. Not healthy though. Just popped out. Not even for the lads.

Pure chance if anything. Be bad though.

checkoutgirl

Be bad if he popped out for the lads. Or for the non lads. Whatever they're called. Can't remember.