Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:55:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Glastonbury 2022

Started by Beagle 2, June 24, 2022, 02:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

His voice didn't half warm up second half as well. It was glorious, even got a wacky double thumbsaloft on his way out.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Beagle 2 on June 26, 2022, 01:36:16 AMgot a wacky double thumbsaloft

Have to take your word on that.

NattyDread 2

That was great, guitar wankathon aside. Should've gone all in with Purple Haze though. Had bets on with the kids on what he would play and they all came up except Back in the USSR.

Pink Gregory

Did everyone enjoy watching BILLY SHEARS play then?

checkoutgirl

I hope someone like Billy Eilish realises Elvis was important like she isn't.

Like Robbie Williams?

No. Like Little Richard.

Like Richard Capaldi?

No. That's the wrong guy. More like Ralf Hutter.

Oh yeah, Ricky Gervais.

No. Just listen. Freddie Mercury is a good guy.

I know. That guy. Sam Fender.

Forget it. Eat my ass.

MigraineBoy

Saw a bit of madness on Twitter during Macca's - at one point he asked "the guys" to sing one bit and "the girls" another, then cos at the climax his band walked onstage with a Union flag, Ukraine flag & a Pride flag. There was a bit of "PRIDE!!!? he knos there R 2 sexes!!!" but the same people were equally upset about the Ukraine flag, so...

dontpaintyourteeth

I put the telly on yesterday and it was some band I didn't recognise, dressed all in white, playing tepid jazz-funk. That's all I've seen. I'm sure Macca was good though 

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: LynnBenfield69 on June 26, 2022, 12:12:58 AMIt surprises me how often he lifts his bass up to see where on the fretboard he is. Doesn't the hofner have side dots along the neck?

Some of the 60s ones didn't. Three dots on the front, but none on the side. WATSALLTHATABAT?

TheMonk

McCartney's set lists these days are frustrating. People will forgive the fading voice and the odd crap song but when he's clearly got the best arsenal in music and when it's at least getting close to the end of his performing days yet he continually spruiks his third rate wares for half the show leaving much of the good stuff in the cupboard, it's just strange. If it's not time to get the good plates out now then when, Paul?

Just imagine that Glastonbury set if he had picked out just the gems and replaced the likes of Come Onto Me, Fuh You and Let Em In etc with the best tunes from his library he left out. Sometimes it's like witnessing Houdini juggle two balls for twenty minutes as his finale.

Some of his Beatles songs he kept in the bag:
All My Loving
Hard Days Night
Eight Days A Week
Yesterday
Drive My Car
Michelle
Eleanor Rigby
Good day Sunshine
Hello Goodbye
Penny Lane
Magical Mystery Tour
Fool On The Hill
Birthday
Long And Winding Road
She Loves You
I Want To Hold Your Hand
We can Work It Out
Paperback Writer

Solo audience pleasers overlooked
Jet
Coming up
Even a surprise hit like one of these would have gone down well...
Silly Love Songs
No More Lonely Nights with a surprise Gilmour solo
Another Day
Listen To What The Man Said

For his Lennon song he continually does For The Benefit Of Mr Kite year after year. Fine but hardly a banger.
Why not go an obvious crowd pleaser or two like one of these:
Hide Your Love Away
Help!
Ticket To Ride
Strawberry Fields Forever
I Am The Walrus
All You Need Is Love
Revolution
Come Together
Daytripper

These last concerts could be bloody incredible celebrations of some of the best tunes ever from go to woh yet, nup. Fuh knows what he's thinking.

Pranet

I think this year has extinguished any lingering desire I may have had to ever return to Glastonbury. Realised the small number of acts that interest me. Also reminded me of what a pain in the arse the festival can be. On the efestivals forum lots of people complaining that too many people on site and everywhere is rammed compared to previous years.

the science eel

I was pleased that I enjoyed Billie Eilish and Olivia Rodrigo more than any other act.

YES! means I'm not old, not yet. Not really.

OR DOES IT?

Icehaven

Watching some iplayer stuff and decided to stick to stuff I've never heard of as most of the stuff I have heard of doesn't appeal (except Skunk Anansie but there were only 2 songs shown) I've landed on a band called Squid and they're alright but the singing drummer's voice could get on my nerves after a bit. He's referenced Peep Show though so I'll let him off.

Head Gardener

Pranet

The layout is annoying and makes it difficult to find stuff- would be easier if they just had an a-z list- but all of Skunk Anansie's set is there if you want to see it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0c81y76/glastonbury-skunk-anansie

Magnum Valentino

Any chance the full Haim set will go on iPlayer?

Head Gardener

I understand Macca only owns part-rights to those songs listed above and is not permitted to perform those as a solo act and as Lennon co-wrote most of them his estate has blanket-banned performing Beatles stuff live.

Icehaven

Squid have grown on me now, particularly now I've realised they remind me a tiny bit of Modest Mouse. Might seek out some more.

Icehaven

Quote from: Pranet on June 26, 2022, 01:22:46 PMThe layout is annoying and makes it difficult to find stuff- would be easier if they just had an a-z list- but all of Skunk Anansie's set is there if you want to see it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0c81y76/glastonbury-skunk-anansie

Cheers! Just found Avalanches set too, which is nice.

Icehaven

Quote from: Head Gardener on June 26, 2022, 01:47:36 PMI understand Macca only owns part-rights to those songs listed above and is not permitted to perform those as a solo act and as Lennon co-wrote most of them his estate has blanket-banned performing Beatles stuff live.

So theoretically what would happen if he just thought "Fuck it, I'm headlining Glastonbury, I'm 80 and I'm richer than God, I'll play what I like"? Would the blue-haired lawyer from the Simpsons run on from the side and pull the plug or would he have to hand his entire fortune over to Lennon's estate and live on the state pension?

DrGreggles

Macca seems to have got away with playing Hey Jude [Lennon/McCartney] for long enough.

Rizla

Quote from: Head Gardener on June 26, 2022, 01:47:36 PMI understand Macca only owns part-rights to those songs listed above and is not permitted to perform those as a solo act and as Lennon co-wrote most of them his estate has blanket-banned performing Beatles stuff live.
Unless I'm very much mistaken, or there's been some change in the rules, you can't ban someone from playing a song live. Is it perhaps more the case that an entire set of Lennon/McCartney compositions would mean the notoriously tight sir thumbsaloft waving bye bye to half the PRS dough from the gigs? Cos that's not to be sniffed at - IIRC something like 18% of the gross ticket money for a show goes straight to PRS, thence to be divvied amongst the composers of whatever was performed that night. Fees and suchlike often barely cover the costs of the band and crew. Understandable that he doesn't feel he should break his old arse touring just to enrich the Lennon estate - perhaps he has a special deal in place for certain songs,  prolly a minefield, I dunno....

Vitamin C

Pretty sure Diana's got a no close ups rule in effect here. I would insist on that too tbh, so fair play to her.

sardines

The Squid set is pretty damned good. Pretty annoyed at the BBC decision to skip the first couple of sets on each stage. Kikagaku Moyo on the tele would have been great.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Fair play Diana for not using Autotune...

Glebe

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 26, 2022, 07:39:39 AMOh yeah, Ricky Gervais.

Anyone else spot the 'El vino did flow' flag in the crowd?

TheMonk

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on June 26, 2022, 04:28:50 PMFair play Diana for not using Autotune...
Indeed. Rough going in parts but far, far preferable to the miming she did in front of the palace. Good on her. Not scared of giving the audience the bangers either.

Macca doing a half shit setlist for legal reasons? Bollocks. He's done a good bunch of those songs in recent years. Chooses lesser tunes. Perhaps to be obtuse. Fair dos I suppose.

The thought of Yoko and the Lennon estate saying "No way you're doing Help! ... You can have For The Benefit Of Mr Kite, now on your way" is enjoyable though.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Vitamin C on June 26, 2022, 04:18:58 PMPretty sure Diana's got a no close ups rule in effect here. I would insist on that too tbh, so fair play to her.

Some were saying the same was in place for Macca, and they pulled the UHD feed just before the set started.

WhoMe

Turnstile trying to wake John Peel up here, good stuff. Not heard of em.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: WhoMe on June 26, 2022, 07:25:54 PMTurnstile trying to wake John Peel up here, good stuff. Not heard of em.

Seem like a great live band to watch.

Purple Toupee

Arlo Parks is certainly putting a shift in this year