Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:29:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Glastonbury 2022

Started by Beagle 2, June 24, 2022, 02:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: Ja'moke on June 26, 2022, 11:09:19 PMEnd of Kendrick's set was pretty powerful stuff.

Thought the whole thing was excellent.

I really liked Neil's aggressive, just ahead of-the beat delivery of It's a Sin, it's a side to the song he's not really pulled out of it before.

Quote from: The Mollusk on June 26, 2022, 11:11:04 PMI was pissing myself laughing at the audacity of the U2 cover with "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" at the chorus, just bonkers and brilliant.

You might not be aware, but the U2 cover/mash-up was released as a single back in '91, equalling the UK chart position of the U2 version (no. 4).

https://youtu.be/Jt2j79pca7c

Tonight's version much better than the original recording, mind you.

The Mollusk

Ah yeah nah I wasn't aware at all! Like jobotic, I've also got big love for the band without really knowing much of their material at all. Will be digging Actually out of my CDs and checking out a bunch of their other classic albums this week for sure. I thought that was a fantastic set.

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on June 26, 2022, 09:42:02 PMFound that Elbow set quite good.

I wonder how their TERFy keys player coped with being surrounded by 3,000 gender neutral bogs.

Thursday

Not watched anything but Elbow are the most boring band ever to have existed.

Don't usually have strong opinions on music, but it's actually made me angry to think that Elbow are still out there and people like them.

PaulTMA

Chris Lowe was supposedly absent due to the screen not rising at the correct time, which confuses me as he was playing the unattended keyboard down the front (for the early part of the set) when I saw them a few weeks ago.  Not sure how this prevented him from getting to the keyboard, unless it physically blocked him? For about 7 songs?  Weird.  I reckon he had the runs and it took ages to get it out of his system.

PaulTMA

OK, someone on their forum has this explanation of why he was up on the podium at the beginning:

It looked like a very split second decision. Chris probably thought there was a chance the screen could be stuck all night so had to get where all his keyboards and sounds are as that one wouldn't have covered everything to come

Have to admit I found the added drama awfully exciting

bgmnts

shoulders

Would have made more sense and treated people honestly if Macca had rocked up on crutches with white hair and stained clothes and announced MEEAAAARRRRFGGGH CANT DO THIS MEAAAAAAUUUUUUGGGH FKIN HELLLLLLLLLLLL AAARRRRGGGH AAAAARRRGGGHHHH NURSE! NURRRRRRRSSSSSE

Cottonon

Why Springsteen? I know Bruce has been vocal about his love of the four lads but it was plain odd to see Macca doing Glory Days. What on earth for? For a guy who is generally cover version shy I found it bizarre and out of place.

idunnosomename

All I can think is that of course Dave Grohl was going to be there so he needed another guest to balance it out.

All got a bit silly and fanwank by that point, preferred the Wings stuff in the first half

dontpaintyourteeth

The Brooooce thing did seem a bit random aye but at least Glory Days is a good tune. Fuh You hasn't gotten any better since Egypt Station came out. Dreadful song

Pete23

Wouldn't be surprised if Brooooooce was checking out Glastonbury for a future slot.

JesusAndYourBush

According to the setlist on setlist.fm Springsteen also appeared at the Macca gig in the US nine days earlier doing the same 2 songs.

DenzilHolles

Quote from: Pete23 on June 28, 2022, 11:50:55 AMWouldn't be surprised if Brooooooce was checking out Glastonbury for a future slot.

He's already headlined it , back in 2009. Which was the last time I went.

TheMonk

Quote from: shoulders on June 27, 2022, 05:26:52 PMWould have made more sense and treated people honestly if Macca had rocked up on crutches with white hair and stained clothes and announced MEEAAAARRRRFGGGH CANT DO THIS MEAAAAAAUUUUUUGGGH FKIN HELLLLLLLLLLLL AAARRRRGGGH AAAAARRRGGGHHHH NURSE! NURRRRRRRSSSSSE
Why?

idunnosomename

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on June 28, 2022, 11:53:36 AMAccording to the setlist on setlist.fm Springsteen also appeared at the Macca gig in the US nine days earlier doing the same 2 songs.
oh so Dave Grohl saw that and was like uh can I come too please. Me mate died and i need to get back into the swing of being fucking everywhere again

lipsink

Grohl and Macca are mates and they've played before. I read Grohl's autobiography where he talked about how nervous he gets playing with his heroes. You could see how nervous he looked and it was quite moving taking when you consider he's probably still struggling with the recent death of his pal. I'm inclined to think Macca probably even asked him to join him cos Macca just sounds like a GBOL.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Dave loves playing festivals, doesn't he? I could go on holiday to, I dunno, Zanzibar or something, and there's a 75% chance that Foo Fighters would be headlining a festival down the road.

Bobby Treetops

Things I learnt from Glastonbury this year.

Paul McCartney is like Grandpa Simpson with his rambling story about Jimi Hendrix that didn't go anywhere.

If the bar staff in a back stage bar you're working in, offer you a drink from a carton of apple juice, that they're 'not sure were it came from', it may contain speed.

You can still function after not sleeping for 36 hours.

Issac Ferry is a cunt.

There were even more Scousers there this year.

Turnstile are amazing live, but best not get involved in the mosh pit if you're 47 years old.

Black out tents not only help you sleep, they keep your cider cool for days on end.

I should have asked for Sunday night off to watch the Pet Shop Boys/Kendrick.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Bobby Treetops on June 28, 2022, 02:04:21 PMIf the bar staff in a back stage bar you're working in, offer you a drink from a carton of apple juice, that they're 'not sure were it came from', it may contain speed.
I'm not saying you were bad at your job but how many times did Diana Ross have to say 'I'm still waiting'?

non capisco

Quote from: Bobby Treetops on June 28, 2022, 02:04:21 PMPaul McCartney is like Grandpa Simpson with his rambling story about Jimi Hendrix that didn't go anywhere.

Now hang on. Jimi Hendrix asked Eric Clapton to tune his guitar and Eric Clapton didn't want to and said 'tune it yourself'. It's not Macca's fault if you can't appreciate a thrilling payoff to a quite frankly transfixing anecdote.

https://voca.ro/1jI0JIu7bHsh

Beagle 2

Haha! There were a few 'crap Macca anecdotes' knocking around on WhatsApp on Saturday - my attempt:

https://voca.ro/105JThrcpcSR

SteveDave

Quote from: Beagle 2 on June 29, 2022, 09:08:33 AMHaha! There were a few 'crap Macca anecdotes' knocking around on WhatsApp on Saturday - my attempt:

https://voca.ro/105JThrcpcSR

The little yelp at 17 seconds had me stitches. Congratulation.

gilbertharding

I must be at an awkward age... I didn't watch much Glastonbury but I liked Plant and Krauss, hate-watched Wet Leg (imagine being one of the Wet Leg blokes... and why are they fucking GRINNING all the time?), didn't understand Kedrick or Billie Eilish (do I know any of their records? Perhaps... dunno), NEVER liked the Pet Shop Boys, and zoned out of McCartney after about 30 minutes (the Hendrix anececdote finished me off, along with the one which started 'we were just four young lads...').

I feel like Turner in Performance: "I don't like music."

Pranet

Quote from: Bobby Treetops on June 28, 2022, 02:04:21 PMThings I learnt from Glastonbury this year.

Black out tents not only help you sleep, they keep your cider cool for days on end.

I did not know these existed. If I ever go to a festival again may invest in one of them.

Head Gardener