Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

May 29, 2024, 08:15:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Futurama: I'm Not Back Baby

Started by JamesTC, February 09, 2022, 10:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

the wild west and amazon ones have been the only ones that even slightly felt "right" so far and even then they were as good as a mediocre comedy central era ep

Consignia

Quote from: MojoJojo on September 05, 2023, 09:47:26 AMThat episode felt like everyone thought there was loads of material to be made out of covid, until they tried actually writing it.

To be fair, there was loads of material in it. Every single possible Futurama themed COVID joke. It was just all over the place. It felt more like a sketch show than a sitcom.

I watched it back to back with a new episode of Disenchantment, and without the latter wasn't great or even good by any stretch, it was so much better than the latest Futurama effort.

Led Souptin

I have a theory that because "shut up and take my money" is a huge meme, the writers think that everybody loves the episode it comes from (the iphone one with Susan boil) and are making more episodes like that. Wherein reality it is the absolute nadir of futurama.

Susan boil fucking hell

Led Souptin

Really really surprised that this week's episode tackling cancel culture was the most enjoyable futurama has been since 2004

Apart from the incredibly mixed messages about the subject matter (which is really a b plot after act 1), the gag rate was incredibly dense and I laughed out loud at least twice. And an actual coherent story. The stuff on the alien planet with all the air was really really fun.

Wasn't expecting that!

chip

Quote from: Led Souptin on September 05, 2023, 06:30:29 PMI have a theory that because "shut up and take my money" is a huge meme, the writers think that everybody loves the episode it comes from (the iphone one with Susan boil)

Hat resoundingly fucked that that meme didn't come from the first four series.

idunnosomename

Yeah I always thought I remembered it from the Fox episodes. I think it's just so easy to imagine Billy West saying it, even if you havent seen it

dissolute ocelot

Watched the first episode last night (Fry immobile in high tech suit and everyone else doing TV), as I got a free 3 months of Disney Plus and already watched all the Marvel movies. Wow. How can you make an episode featuring Calculon and (briefly) the Robot Devil that's so bad? Maybe because none of the characters, from Calculon to Leela, exhibit any of the personality they had in the classic series. Remember when Calculon was an arrogant buffoon? Remember when Leela was something other than Fry's girlfriend? Remember when Bender was always doing nefarious stuff? It could literally be about a bunch of complete strangers forced to do something to save the life of another stranger. The episode back in the day where they had to remake Single Female Lawyer was lazy but at least it appeared to have been made by someone who'd watched TV ever. Aside from a couple of mildly amusing swipes at writers rooms, s11e01 had basically no jokes. Episode 2 tonight? Or shall I stick on Beauty and the Beast again? Even the Emma Watson version?

Deliciousbass

Quote from: chip on September 11, 2023, 11:21:44 AMHat resoundingly fucked that that meme didn't come from the first four series.

Absolutely wild. If you had asked me I would have been certain that the meme was around on mid 2000s 4chan. Feel a little bit shaken and scared.

Thursday

I now believe the Mandela Effect is real. Not that the Mandela example is true of course, but this specific example definitely is because I've somehow stepped into an alternate timeline.

chip

I think perhaps myself and a lot of others are conflating this meme and the 'Not sure if _____' one that proliferated many years earlier. I mean they're both essentially of Fry's face, easy to do.

RetroRobot

Are we all in agreement that no matter what people say on social media every episode is endless shite

idunnosomename

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on September 12, 2023, 02:12:55 PMThe episode back in the day where they had to remake Single Female Lawyer was lazy

surely that's just classic futurama? interesting sci-fi premise (TV signals travelling at the speed of light from Fry's time), ridiculous payoff of extremely powerful alien invasion force obsessed over something banal, and Fry's knowledge of the past giving him the advantage over everyone else (even though he's an idiot and isn't that good at it).

First time the Omicronians invade too. The Problem with Popplers reused them (very well).

dontpaintyourteeth

madhair60

amongst other brilliance, the "single female lawyer" episode has the best dick joke in comedy history

idunnosomename

oh I'll accept perhaps doing an Ally McBeal send-up was perhaps a bit played out at that point, everyone was laying into it. But it's not really important what the TV show is, it's just a funny plot with a good excuse to put the fate of the planet in the hands of Fry and the crew (he is the only person alive who saw the TV show)

Compare with recent Pandemic episode where's no reason the principal cast are at the centre of everything. And there's no threat whatsoever. and its just a stream of silly stuff that happens.

Deliciousbass

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 12, 2023, 06:41:32 PMCompare with recent Pandemic episode where's no reason the principal cast are at the centre of everything. And there's no threat whatsoever. and its just a stream of silly stuff that happens.

Yeah, this kind of thing is what has put me off even a curiosity watch.

I remember there being an early revival episode where Fry dying was a main plot point. Fine idea in itself and they'd already done this well with the Bee Sting ep, but there was this odd choice to have none of the other characters, apart from Leela, care that Fry was dead. It's like they all knew he was coming back at the end of the episode anyway, so why bother with any emotion? Apart from Leela who has to care so there's a plot. It totally shredded my investment in the world and its characters.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: chip on September 12, 2023, 04:45:34 PMI think perhaps myself and a lot of others are conflating this meme and the 'Not sure if _____' one that proliferated many years earlier. I mean they're both essentially of Fry's face, easy to do.

Yeah this would be my first guess. It's also worth remembering that the Comedy Central era of Futurama is itself pretty old at this point (the episode in question airing in mid-2010, when Obama was less than halfway through his first term and Gordon Brown was barely out of office) so it's not like we were that far removed yet from the mid-00s memeification of the original series.

Personally I always thought of "shut up and take my money" as a surprising outlier of something from the revival era managing to cement itself in online culture, kind of like the simpsons old man yells at cloud.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 12, 2023, 06:41:32 PMoh I'll accept perhaps doing an Ally McBeal send-up was perhaps a bit played out at that point, everyone was laying into it. But it's not really important what the TV show is, it's just a funny plot with a good excuse to put the fate of the planet in the hands of Fry and the crew (he is the only person alive who saw the TV show)

Compare with recent Pandemic episode where's no reason the principal cast are at the centre of everything. And there's no threat whatsoever. and its just a stream of silly stuff that happens.
Yeah, I was remembering more fun bits from the Ally McBeal episode. I guess the point is that Lrrr is obsessed with a terrible old show so it's fine that it's nothing very up to date, although calling the protagonist Jenny McNeal is definitely lazy, despite the fact that it's otherwise a fairly accurate parody. I still stand by my original point that the writers of that old episode had actually watched TV at some point in their lives.

idunnosomename

It can't have gone unnoticed during production that Jenny McNeal is voiced by Tress MacNeille, so maybe that was why they went with it

Old Nehamkin

Newest episode is simply the laziest and most tossed-off thing they've ever done. Completely incoherent and unfunny. Zero connective tissue with anything that was ever good or appealing about this show. End it.

idunnosomename

The second part of this series has an episode called "Quid's Game" so really doing well on these references that seem so perfectly out-of-date

Old Nehamkin

Remember we did that episode where the characters were all different animals. Well what if this time they are all different toys, instead.

OK should we come up with some sort of framing device for this concept that makes even a small amount of sense

No

neveragain

Watched the Zapp's cancellation and Nibbler's litter box episodes last night after giving up on the series. I liked them. What can I say? Some good jokes, the plots worked and the characters felt right. No constant back-referencing. Just felt miles better than the others I'd seen. Even if Dune is an old reference, I'm not that knowledgeable on the films and found the episode enjoyable.

MojoJojo

I've only heard of the animals one as one of the most hated episodes, so sort of impressed they are doing another version of it.

I just don't get the episodes referencing modern stuff. They never have anything interesting to say and instantly make it feel dated. I can only assume they simply don't have any ideas.

neveragain

(I quite like the animal documentary episode, it's nicely weird and crammed with jokes. It's no Saturday Morning Fun Pit but really what is?)

Video Game Fan 2000

Led Souptin

yeah this one didnt even feel like it was a first draft. just a bunch of bad ideas slapped together. really confusing. did AI write it?

Oh, Nobody

What in the name of Matt Groening's disgusting feet was that.

JamesTC

The Single Female Lawyer episode is indeed a classic. Can't imagine somebody not liking it.

That being said, it is a blatant rip-off of a fantastic episode of Tales from the Darkside. Lenny Von Dohlen plays an alien who comes to earth to bring back a poorly received detective show from 20 years earlier.

idunnosomename

don't think that's a problem really.

also omicron persei is approximately a thousand light years away from Earth, which is one of their over-researched jokes that are barely a thing now in this absolute husk of a show.

very tempted to watch this new clearly utterly terrible episode.

Tags: