Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:40:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bugger, I've got the 'vid

Started by Mister Six, November 10, 2022, 01:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

I think I've got it again, JESUS FUCK, so I've run off to sequester myself in a mate's apartment (he's back in the old country till March) until I can get a confirmation in a couple of days. Don't want Mrs Six to get battered with it, as she gets it worse than me. We were going to spend a couple of day having fun before I went back to work, too.

If I have, then I most likely got it flying back from the UK on Thursday, despite only removing my mask briefly to shovel shite American Airlines grot into my stupid, soon-to-be-diseased face.

Apparently multiple infections increase the chance of severe illness, so I'm really looking forward to dying of heart disease or something in 10 years. Assuming the world makes it that long.

Mister Six

Sorry to hear the fucker's got you and your family, @TrenterPercenter - hope you are all fully recovered as soon as possible, especially your dad.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Mister Six on January 02, 2023, 12:34:41 AMApparently multiple infections increase the chance of severe illness, so I'm really looking forward to dying of heart disease or something in 10 years. Assuming the world makes it that long.

I imagine you are referring to this study...

Acute and postacute sequelae associated with SARS-CoV-2 reinfection

Hmmm yep not nice reading for someone that has had it twice now (who knows maybe more?).  Looking for some positives errr well the population is older only 12% were under 39 years old and they didn't carry out sub-group analyses.  They did weight exposure groups though so age balances across these groups but I'd like to know if age was related to adverse health outcomes post reinfection as you would imagine the older you are the more likely you are to get complications. 

Other than that at pure risk level reinfections increase likelihood seems really high.  250 excess people out every 1000, a whole quarter had a sequelae in the acute reinfection phase (30 days) then another 270 excess people had a sequelae over the next 180 days, so we are talking over half of those with reinfections had a sequelae within 180 days!?  This is where age breakdown for me becomes really important as surely this is concentrated in the upper age ranges. The excess burdens by sequelae other than mental health all seem about the same which is weird and could imply it is picking up pre-existing trends (to do with age) + covid rather than covid just itself.  Also surely variant is really important here but overall the picture is that your immune system isn't improved by beating the virus.

TrenterPercenter

This all being said my first time with covid was literally a sniffle for about 24 hours, this second time very nearly had me considering going to A&E.  Right at the beginning (though wasn't actually testing positive then) I woke up with really bunged up and with a really pounding heart rate which I thought was quite odd. Over the next day the coughing etc.. stopped but I felt really ill zero energy and really struggled to get out of bed, the following day it I really felt like I was dying before my body just went ctrl-alt delete and put me in safe mode to run its anti-virus software. I then woke up covered in sweat feeling much better.  I know I'm still carrying the infection now as I've still got the yellow gunk coming from my chest.

I'm going to attempt a short walk shortly and see how that goes.  Interestingly I've been hooked up to a health watch for the past month so I'll be able to check my fitness stats including heart health over the next few months to see if anything shows up there.

Here is hoping you haven't actually got it again @Mister Six and if so it's only mild.

Mister Six

Christ, the yellow gunk! I was still coughing that up the day before I started to show symptoms again. Now I've been upgraded to green gunk and I talk like someone crossed Barry White with Marge Simpson.

Hope your walk goes well, but don't push it if you're not feeling great, @TrenterPercenter.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Mister Six on January 02, 2023, 12:50:40 PMChrist, the yellow gunk! I was still coughing that up the day before I started to show symptoms again. Now I've been upgraded to green gunk and I talk like someone crossed Barry White with Marge Simpson.

Hope your walk goes well, but don't push it if you're not feeling great, @TrenterPercenter.

Yep I'm going to call the old man whilst I do it so he'll know if I collapse and can send help.

Btw do multiple LFTs I was properly symptomatic for 3 days and tested negative it was only then I tested positive.

Mister Six

Two PCR tests came back and both tested negative, so it looks like I don't have Covid - just a really nasty cold that's filled my lungs to the brim with phlegm and doesn't look to be going anywhere any time soon. Eurgh. Preferable, but not by much.

Hope you guys are all okay still @TrenterPercenter.

lauraxsynthesis

Had hellish vomiting bug last month, but afaik I have yet to get Covid. I wonder if my blood should be used to create a new vaccine

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Mister Six on January 04, 2023, 02:55:21 AMHope you guys are all okay still @TrenterPercenter.

Thanks Mr Six and glad to hear you are clear.

Yes I am feeling much better now.  It been nearly 3 weeks since infection and i've been slowly increasing activity.  Interestingly I upped things exercise wise a bit on Friday and was left feeling quite light-headed and unwell, my cough came back and I hocked up some yellow gunk from somewhere deep in the lung.  This lasted about 3-4 hrs but I then started feeling better and I've been feel OK since, might have just been a bit soon.

I can tell you though the hospital I work for has just released information that flu cases are increasing and are putting a high number of people (relative to usual) in ICU with pneumonia - this news also came alongside me finding out a co-worker I'm on a project with has had some serious complications with pneumonia from the flu and is now indefinitely off work.  All a bit troubling but this Covid isn't the only thing to worry about it seems.

Mister Six

I ended up having to go on antibiotics to get rid of the lung-gunk, so it's clearly not just flu that's going around. And now I've got a bit of a cough again. :(

Glebe

Get well soon Six, and ya'll else.

GoblinAhFuckScary

hope you're doing good mister sicks. i've dodged the 'vid this entire time and i'm getting increasingly anxious about my luck running out. or maybe i'm actually an immune Überfrau

Alberon

Just had a shit night coughing virtually all the way through. Tested positive day before yesterday.

Mrs Alberon runs one cafe and also works part time in a restaurant so if there is something going round we're sure to get it.

The first time last year I just had hot and cold flushes for a day and then felt fine the rest of the time.

Fuck this if it is a yearly thing.

GoblinAhFuckScary

i've just had like, one day of super severe coughing feeling CERTAIN it was the 'vid but no no it's negative. woke up today pretty much fine

u ok, immune system?

Glebe

Alberon

I'll be fine. Too fucked at the moment to catch up with the Doctor Who episodes for the rewatch.

Brian Freeze

Hope everyone is feeling better?

How are you getting on with weird side effects of this version?

We had it a couple of weeks ago and bloody hell it made us right weepy and sad for four days on top of the feeling like shite.

Also constipation - Mrs F suffered a bit and I was talking to someone at work about the dose he just had, he was crippled with it and knows a couple of other folk bunged up food and proper.

Vitamin C

Got it for the second time. Bugger. Was really hoping to avoid reinfection. Looks like there is some debate going on regarding getting it more than once and possible dire consequences of that. Fun. It doesn't feel as bad this time, so there is that. But dead soon, obv.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/23/repeat-covid-infections-health-risks

Glebe

Sorry to hear it Vit C, get well soon. Prolly being a hypocrite here but try and avoid reading too many news stories... not suggesting for a moment that there aren't a lot of negative things going on, but bad news sells.

Blue Jam

Not got the 'vid, but got another random lurgy which has developed into bronchitis and massively triggered my asthma. Got a course of antibiotics and I'm back on the 'roids so I'll probably spend the next five days wide awake like a a manic horny Donald Trump.

Also just ordered a little oxygen canister from off Amazon because my pulse oximeter readings were a bit concerning, and also so I can pretend I'm at an oxygen bar at a festival in 1998.

Blue Jam

...actually, I take that back. After 10 months of long Covid fatigue, feeling massively awake is like a breath of fresh air. Lovin' the 'roids.

jobotic

Tested positive tonight. First time!

Felt shit in the week but meant to staying at a friend's tomorrow so thought I'd better check. Fucks sake. Didn't really occur to me that I might have finally got it after all this time and was at work yesterday.

Are there any rules nowadays? If I do a test in a couple of days and it's clear am I okay to go about my business?

Alberon

I don't think there are any restrictions now.

When I tested positive for the second time a few months back I was told to stay home until I tested negative.

My niece had COVID a couple of weeks ago. My sister says a lot of parents don't test at all because it's easier than having to deal with a positive result.

Ferris

Quote from: Alberon on April 07, 2023, 11:51:15 PMMy sister says a lot of parents don't test at all because it's easier than having to deal with a positive result.

That's my experience. We did some (negative) tests today and everyone looked at us like we were mad.

Proper old school, doing tests man.

Roxy Robinson

Quote from: jobotic on April 07, 2023, 10:49:23 PMTested positive tonight. First time!

Felt shit in the week but meant to staying at a friend's tomorrow so thought I'd better check. Fucks sake. Didn't really occur to me that I might have finally got it after all this time and was at work yesterday.

Are there any rules nowadays? If I do a test in a couple of days and it's clear am I okay to go about my business?

Literally no restrictions, it's just if you never got vaccinated you're way more likely to be on a vent.

jobotic

Had three, me. Booster was December 2021 though.

Actually just feel like I've got a bit if a cold now. Shooting pains I had on Thursday have gone. Will do another test tomorrow.

Glebe

Get well soon Jobo.

I just had my second booster the other day. Spikevax it was.

Marner and Me

Loads of people I know since being jabbed say they're constantly ill

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Marner and Me on April 09, 2023, 08:13:56 PMLoads of people I know since being jabbed say they're constantly ill

There you go, then. Proof, if proof be need be. Of what,I'm not sure, but definitely proof.

Icehaven

It finally got me! Felt as rough as fuck for two days, walking to the shops this afternoon nearly finished me off so I knew something was up, did a test and soddit. I'm pissed because I went on the NHS site to book a booster jab a few months ago and they said I didn't need one, well obviously I did. If I die I'll be very cross.