Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:04:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Blu-ray Releases

Started by Artemis, June 07, 2010, 03:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrfridge

Quote from: surreal on September 08, 2010, 08:21:08 AMThey've also announced the BluRay of Apocalypse Now

Looks like the 3 disc version has the Heart of Darkness doc on there which I prefer to the actual film. I don't think that has been available digitally before so that's ace news...

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4914

jutl

Quote from: mrfridge on September 08, 2010, 04:10:35 PM
Looks like the 3 disc version has the Heart of Darkness doc on there which I prefer to the actual film.

Yes, me too. It's even better than the excellent Burden of Dreams.

Artemis

Grindhouse is getting a BD release on 20th, as an HMV exclusive. That's a good few weeks before it gets released in the US. Both movies will be back to back with trailers inbetween, as originally intended.

I've not seen this myself, but I've pre-ordered as what I've heard sounds fun.

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: mrfridge on September 08, 2010, 04:10:35 PM
Looks like the 3 disc version has the Heart of Darkness doc on there which I prefer to the actual film. I don't think that has been available digitally before so that's ace news...

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4914

Yeah, it's probably the best movie about a movie ever made.  I can't really compare it to the movie itself - fiction and documentary are such different beasts - but it is an amazing film.

QDRPHNC

I love Blu-ray (and HD-DVD back when I was into that) for the simple reason that it essentially gives you the quality of film in your own home. DVD was a great improvement over VHS, but it didn't come close to 35mm.

Santa's Boyfriend

To be fair though you do need a big telly to see the difference, and lots of people don't have (or indeed want) a big telly.  I think once TVs can be disguised as mirrors or paintings on the wall then more people would be willing to have bigger ones, but lots of people simply don't watch that much tv or generally give a toss about having anything larger than a portable.

Not me, obviously.  I love Blu-ray, and everyone I know who has seen it thinks it's fantastic.  (But wouldn't necessarily want it in their own home.)

Santa's Boyfriend

Looks great, but how do you fit it on your shelf?

surreal

Quote from: Santa's Boyfriend on September 14, 2010, 08:52:48 AM
Looks great, but how do you fit it on your shelf?

That's what informs my choices now - time was I'd love to have bought the Alien Egg thing, that briefcase, the BladeRunner stuff, etc but there just isn't enough room to put it all and display it properly, it ends up getting bunged in a cupboard.  Shame really.  I have all the LotR statuettes but they're still in the boxes.

QDRPHNC

I think all discs should come in standard cases under penalty of death.

Famous Mortimer

I've just pre-ordered that...I barely ever go for the ultra-posh releases, but I like it and I can play with the spinny top while I'm waiting for my blu-rays to load.

Artemis

I'll grab the standard edition I think. I've also decided not to get the 'tin' of BTTF now as well, since it's not a steelbook and doesn't actually look that great, in my opinion.

October's an expensive month for new stuff, isn't it. I have Anchorman, The Exorcist, Grindhouse, BTTF and the Alien Anthology all on pre-order. Loads of good stuff, but all that plus the Larry Sanders complete import set (on DVD) is going to hit the old wallet.

QDRPHNC

Just looked at the BTTF box on Amazon. It's OK, but I really really really wish they would use the original poster art as much as possible on these releases, especially since Blu-ray looks like it'll be the last major physical format.

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: Artemis on September 22, 2010, 12:30:54 PM
October's an expensive month for new stuff, isn't it.

You don't actually have to buy it all you know...

the midnight watch baboon

Yeah I've gone down the renting road, any 2 Blu-Rays on the go for £12 a month with only occasional megavitalpriority buys so I can get round to seeing all the ones I like the (HD) sound of.

El Unicornio, mang

Mulholland Dr Blu-Ray is out, and is apparently an improvement on the previous release

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews52/mulholland_dr_blu-ray.htm

mcbpete

.... and has just arrived on my desk at work. Can't wait to watch it !

Santa's Boyfriend

Ooh, The Wicker Man comes out in about 2 weeks!

Famous Mortimer

Anchorman arrived t'other day, and while it's not the greatest, sharpest picture ever seen, it does seem to have even more extras than all the other versions, so that's nice.

Glebe

There's a raft of tasty Blu-ray releases on the way, many of 'em horror-based, what with Halloween coming up and all. Looking forward to Se7en and The Evil Dead... haven't seen any reviews of the Alien Quartet yet, but fingers crossed Aliens gets a decent HD transfer!

Famous Mortimer

Now, Evil Dead. Wouldn't it suffer, being filmed on extremely cheap equipment? I know v. little, but my limited knowledge would have me believe there's only so much you can do with poor source material.

Glebe

Apparently, it looks pretty good in HD. The bad news is the UK version doesn't include the original 1:33:1 print. Boo.

Artemis

The Exorcist is on it's way, then the week after Grindhouse, then Back To The Future!

Then I have to stop for a bit, this is getting silly.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Glebe on October 07, 2010, 08:11:48 PM
haven't seen any reviews of the Alien Quartet yet, but fingers crossed Aliens gets a decent HD transfer!

I watched a bit of it today (it's become 'available' early), it looks excellent

This page allows you to hover over the screenshots to see the difference

http://bp.lrfarias.com/?p=377

(although they're only small so harder to tell the difference, other than colour changes, which you get on different DVD releases anyway)

Artemis

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 07, 2010, 07:53:13 PM
Anchorman arrived t'other day, and while it's not the greatest, sharpest picture ever seen, it does seem to have even more extras than all the other versions, so that's nice.

It's a lovely package, pretty much everything they ever did for the project (theatrical and uncut film, the second film made of all the unused plotlines and scene) and a shitload of extras. I particularly enjoyed watching the rehearsals and table readers. On the second disc, Ron speaks over the menu music, becoming ever more annoyed that you haven't selected anything yet. If you leave it on, it goes back to the music loop but then there's a second commentary from Ron, now furious you haven't selected anything and cursing you for not doing so ("I don't care if you make your selection in the next two seconds, you're still a dirty shit-covered asshole").

An appropriately brilliant release for a modern comedy classic.

surreal

In the past week I've picked up Back to the Future and Alien Anthology, and I'm a bit peeved that the Apocalypse Now set above is only available on import at the mo (although it is region free).

Next on the list and pre-ordered is this gorgeous Battle Royale Limited Edition which I cannit wait for:

QuoteRegion 0
Brand New Restored Transfer In Glorious High Definition 1080p Of Both Films
Brand New Subtitle Translation On Both Features
Limited Edition Packaging Numbered #/5000 With Certificate
Limited Edition Exclusive Special Features
5x7" Postcards Of Stills From The Film [Le Exclusive]
Fold-Out Reversible Poster Of Original Artwork

Disc 1: Theatrical Cut - Special Features:
Original Theatrical Trailer
The Making Of Battle Royale: The Experience Of 42 High School Students
Conducting Battle Royale With The Warsaw National Philharmonic Orchestra

Disc 2: Special Edition (Director's Cut) - Special Features:
Special Edition Trailer
TV Spot: Tarantino Version
Shooting The Special Edition
Takeshi Kitano Interview
The Correct Way To Make Battle Royale [Birthday Version]
Tokyo International Film Festival Presentation

Disc 3: Special Features:
Opening Day At Maru No Uchi Toei Movie Theatre
The Slaughter Of 42 High School Students
Premiere Press Conference
The Correct Way To Fight In Battle Royale
Royale Rehearsals
Masamichi Amano Conducts Battle Royale
Special Effects Comparison
Behind The Scenes Featurette
Filming On Set
TV Spots, Promos And Commercials
Kinji Fukasaku Trailer Reel

32 Page Comic
36 Page Booklet Including:
'A Battle Without An End' By Tom Mes, Author Of 'The Midnight Eye Guide To New Japanese Film'
Printed Interview With Director Kinji Fukasaku
'Today's Lesson Is... You Kill Each Other' By Jay Mcroy, Author Of 'Japanese Horror Cinema' [Le Exclusive]
Extract From Koushun Takami's Original Novel [Le Exclusive]
Original Promotional Material Including Director's Statement, Cast And Crew Biogs [Le Exclusive]

16 Page Booklet Including:
Concept Artwork And Drawings For The Limited Edition Set [Le Exclusive]

Nice.  The non-limited edition is out in February apparently.  They've increased the number from 5000 to 10,000 due to demand.

Consignia

Cor, that Battle Royale set does look nice. It is one of my favourite films, but I do already a have perfectly serviceable limited edition DVD. Decisions, decisions.

Santa's Boyfriend

The 32 page comic is odd though - the manga is at least a thousand pages long.