Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,782
  • Total Topics: 106,776
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:07:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Red Dwarf Specials (2020)

Started by Jim Bob, December 15, 2019, 07:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy

What's the episode from the classic era that finishes with a scene of Lister falling into a hole and the Cat saying "Thank god for that" with no laughter track at all? Was that also an example of a new scene filmed after the rest of the episode had been made? It slightly unsettled me as a kid, like the audience were just stunned into horrified silence randomly and refused to laugh.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Billy on April 05, 2020, 08:22:06 PM
What's the episode from the classic era that finishes with a scene of Lister falling into a hole and the Cat saying "Thank god for that" with no laughter track at all? Was that also an example of a new scene filmed after the rest of the episode had been made? It slightly unsettled me as a kid, like the audience were just stunned into horrified silence randomly and refused to laugh.

Justice.

idunnosomename

Justice, S4. Though I thought the end of the Kennedy S7 opener where everyone appears to stamp up and down on Lister to be weirder and even less funny

Jim Bob

I just wanted to say that I share all of Replies From View's thoughts within this thread, except for him not knowing what SpaceVets and Space Precinct are.  I watched both of those shows as a kid.

Mobbd

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on April 04, 2020, 01:34:14 PM
I think I'm just trying to world-build a little and imagine what a species which evolved from cats on board a spaceship, the majority of which was inaccessible due to radiation levels, would be like in terms of tech and culture.

I think a key to this is that the Cat tech and culture is based on Red Dwarf (ie. the environment in which they evolved). The cat shuttle in this five-minute clip looks like Blue Midget inside and out. Deffo deliberate and an extension of their deerstalker hat and ear-fags being manifestations of Lister Worship. I think this is class.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I'm hopeful. It's part of the lore that they haven't really explored in the series and I'm looking forward to it.

Shaky

Barrie's toupee got a lot of flack at the time but I think they need to go back to that. The floppy thing that's been on his head for a couple of series now just isn't doing it for me.

Malcy

Live Twitter commentary for Quarantine with Doug Naylor, cast and special guests tomorrow at 9.40pm.

https://mobile.twitter.com/davechannel/status/1247237680741658630

Replies From View

Quote from: Jim Bob on April 06, 2020, 01:49:22 AM
I just wanted to say that I share all of Replies From View's thoughts within this thread, except for him not knowing what SpaceVets and Space Precinct are.  I watched both of those shows as a kid.

No, I insist that I do not know what they are and you therefore didn't watch them as a kid.

Replies From View

Quote from: Duckula on April 07, 2020, 09:50:22 PM
https://www.pscp.tv/w/1mrxmQZpaAgxy

Live commentary of Quarantine happening now.

I have no idea who the person wedged between Naylor and Hayridge is.  And is it only me getting a video that's not even 17 minutes long, the first five minutes of which is blank silence?

Replies From View

And why on earth have they chosen to stack all those tiny videos on top of one another like that, rather than using the widescreen space properly?

My brain is hurting with the layers of shitness.  I have only got through the first two minutes of talking.

Deyv

Quote from: Replies From View on April 08, 2020, 12:21:36 AM
I have no idea who the person wedged between Naylor and Hayridge is.  And is it only me getting a video that's not even 17 minutes long, the first five minutes of which is blank silence?

Is it not Professor Lanstrom? And no you're not the only one.

Replies From View

Quote from: Deyv on April 08, 2020, 12:36:09 AM
Is it not Professor Lanstrom? And no you're not the only one.

Oh probably.  Could they not get all of the regular cast?

Deyv

Quote from: Replies From View on April 08, 2020, 12:51:03 AM
Oh probably.  Could they not get all of the regular cast?

I guess not. The stream died on me a couple of minutes after the actual talking started. Not really bothered. But still looking forward to the special!

Replies From View

Trying to build up hope for the new special by showing some of its cast and crew shrunken into unintelligible postage stamps, squinting into their own webcams in a kind of "we are at home and couldn't be fucked getting washed and also we are now somehow quite elderly" way.

Deyv

Quote from: Replies From View on April 08, 2020, 01:03:16 AM
"we are at home and couldn't be fucked getting washed

Hash tag relatable. Utter shambles this was, but I find it kind of endearing.

Anyone seen Rob Grant, Ed Bye and Paul Jackson doing commentaries for the first series? Much more successful.

Replies From View

Is it just me or is the UKTVPlay site sluggish and useless?  I keep getting about five seconds of streaming and then it freezes.  Then when it restarts it's jumped ahead so I've missed a chunk.

No point me trying to watch it live now; I've missed too much.  I'll have to wait.

Malcy

Quote from: Replies From View on April 09, 2020, 09:08:53 PM
Is it just me or is the UKTVPlay site sluggish and useless?  I keep getting about five seconds of streaming and then it freezes.  Then when it restarts it's jumped ahead so I've missed a chunk.

No point me trying to watch it live now; I've missed too much.  I'll have to wait.

It's always been shite. It used to crash during the adverts on catch up constantly when I was watching the past few series. I'm just waiting to download it about 10 mins after it finishes.

Replies From View

You think they'd try to fix it.  How weird that they don't care about people watching their programmes.

Please send me a download link if you find one.

Beagle 2

Astonished to find that I'm enjoying this.

Duckula

It's surprisingly good, might be the best thing to come out of the new episodes.

Lemming

Yay, it was actually good! Quite a large chunk of it worked as a non-comedy sci fi action adventure movie as well.

BritishHobo

I really liked that. Good fun, and with a lot of love and affection for the characters.

Small Man Big Horse

I liked it a fair amount, it felt like a bit of a missed opportunity when it came to the cats who only got about 15 minutes screen time, but most of the time it was funny and likeable and that's more than enough to keep me mostly happy.

Danger Man

It was a load of fucking shit, I think you mean

idunnosomename

Enjoyed that. Pacing was all over the shop (ad breaks every 20 mins didn't help) but it had good laughs and decent character moments. Really liked the Lister and Rimmer moonlight bit.

Making of doc, deleted scenes and smeg ups have just gone up on the UKTV Play app.

Deyv

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Danger Man on April 09, 2020, 11:04:00 PM
It was a load of fucking shit, I think you mean

The first 15 minutes was abysmal so I left it for the moment. I'll pick it up again tomorrow but I'm curious at what point it improves. The catflap gag was embarrassing.