Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,802
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:58:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

So What Would You Like To See On British T.V.?

Started by Mr. Bleaney, October 24, 2005, 10:17:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bleaney

All this talk of the poor state of British comedy has set me to thinking about what I'd love to see on the box. Here's my list:-

1) A good old-fashioned surreal Pythoneque  sketch show with over-the-top performances and silly voices.
2) An errudite sitcom that isn't afraid to make jokes about Chekov or Wagner (sort of like an English Frasier.)
3) An unashamedly primetime, middle-class sitcom that's as good as Ever Decreasing Circles - and stars proper actors, rather than comedians.
4) A new version of Comedy Playhouse, with a different sitcom pilot every week..
5) A really good sketch show for children.
6) A topical panel game that's as clever and Sharp as Have I Got New For You was in its first few years.
7) A British cartoon that doesn't try to ape The Simpsons or Family Guy, and isn't about something shit like teenage chavs.
8) A proper comedy-drama like you used to get in the '70s and '80s (think Private Shultz) that's funny [/i]and dramatic, and actually about something.

What would be on your comedy xmas list?

Pseudopath

Harry Hill's TV Burp to run uninterrupted until the end of time.

Captain Crunch

butnut

Seinfeld shown at a peak time on a national free to air station so that everyone can fall in love with it.

difbrook

I'd certainly welcome a silly sketch show, with not too many recurring characters, and no reliance on shock-gags. Silliness, please.

Harry Hill's stuff is pretty near to what I want, actually - but the last thing I can remember actually being a silly sketch show was Big Train, which for all of the "written on the back of a fag packet down the pub" qualities from time to time, was capable of making me cackle dementedly at least once an episode.

difbrook

I'd also welcome the return of Alexei Sayle, in something like his "Stuff"-period form, where the warmth of the delivery and the friendliness of the whole presentation enables him to skewer all of the things he's angry about.

yes, a new Alexei show, with a lack of distracting Edgar Wright-isms and no sodding-Bobby-Chariot would be a wonderful thing.

Mister Cairo

I'd like to see Peter Kay do more stand-up as opposed to that crap program he did set in a motorway service station. A couple more two-hour programmes like that on Channel Four would be nice.

The Daily Show on terrestrial tv each week, instead of Channel 4 going all elitist and rubbing it in the face of people who can't recieve Freeview (like me) or can't afford it that More Fucking Four has the Daily Show.

Also, instead of showing the same 30 Simpsons episodes in a loop, why can't Channel Four do something daring and put episodes on that haven't been seen at least FOUR times before.

Oh, and a BES repeat. Just to piss off people like Simon Heffer.

Pepotamo1985

Captain Crunch

weirdbeard

Quote from: "Mister Cairo"Also, instead of showing the same 30 Simpsons episodes in a loop, why can't Channel Four do something daring and put episodes on that haven't been seen at least FOUR times before.

Channel 4 are showing some new-to-terrestrial episodes in November.  Think it'll be Season 13.  Or 14.

QuoteOh, and a BES repeat. Just to piss off people like Simon Heffer.

If it does ever get repeated, it'll be on your favourite channel More 4, I'd imagine.

axel

They could repeat all the episodes of Monty Python uncut.

Morgan

Quote from: "Captain Crunch"Elaine Paige style or Kasparov style?

The latter.

Go With The Flow

More chances for Indie film directors to get their films/cartoons/shorts onto terrestial (or at least Freeview) channels at decent times (like - before midnight)

mycroft

I'd like to see Rowan Atkinson back in something good. Either a comedy or drama, I'm not bothered, but something that's watchable and funny, at least...

Jemble Fred

How about a six-part studio sitcom carefully crafted, with each episode co-written by Elton and Curtis, having gone through about twelve drafts per half hour – and preferably set somewhere other than in the household of a smart young couple sith or without children and amusing family members? Something unusual. Oh and the cast could include Dylan Moran, Brian Blessed, Tom Baker and, for personal reason, Rachael Stirling.

NoSleep

Captain Crunch

....speechless....awe....speechless...CHRIST!

Little Hoover

Quote from: "Mister Cairo"
Also, instead of showing the same 30 Simpsons episodes in a loop, why can't Channel Four do something daring and put episodes on that haven't been seen at least FOUR times before.
Season 6 is taking the 6pm slot from monday 7th november.

3 weeks after the U.K s6 dvd release, you can see they've put a lot of thought into this.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"How about a six-part studio sitcom carefully crafted, with each episode co-written by Elton and Curtis, having gone through about twelve drafts per half hour – and preferably set somewhere other than in the household of a smart young couple sith or without children and amusing family members? Something unusual. Oh and the cast could include Dylan Moran, Brian Blessed, Tom Baker and, for personal reason, Rachael Stirling.

EXT. MARS. DAY.

DYLAN MORAN: Would you believe it - my spacesuit isn't working. I mean what is the point in being in space if you don't have a flipping suit? Are we supposed to just pop down the flipping space branch of Marks and Spencers? Which we wouldn't be able to get into anyway, beacuse there'd be loads of flipping space shopping trolleys blocking the entrance. Which they'd ask for a space pound coin deposit to put in the little flipping space hole at the front. Which we'd drop on the space floor. Which is a pain because we're in space, and there's no flipping space gravity.

RACHAEL STIRLING: Yes, but at least we don't have to walk 300 miles a day to get water, like in Africa.

DYLAN MORAN (LOOKS SERIOUS): Yes, that's true. (STICKS A POPPY UP HIS ARSE)

Jemble Fred

Ah yes, but that's not carefully crafted.

And you wait till Brian Blessed puts in his appearance!

Mister Cairo

The Mary Whitehouse Experience. I haven't seen it yet, but it sounds good (a bit Jowell there).

Another showing of Woody Allen's Bananans. A great film.

And, on an unfunny note, I would like to see makeover programs and programs where houses are seen as ways to make money not places to live in banned. After that awful Changing Rooms docushit last night, I want to track every member of the cast down and nail them each to their floors, cover them with bacon and blood, and let in some wolves.

Mr. Bleaney

Let's face it - Curtis and Elton are no more going to write another Blackadder The Third than David Bowie is going to release another Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "Mr. Bleaney"Let's face it - Curtis and Elton are no more going to write another Blackadder The Third than David Bowie is going to release another Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust.

Yeah, but this is a fantasy thread after all...

In which case, Peter Cook comes back from the dead, and...

rjd2

Quote from: "butnut"Seinfeld shown at a peak time on a national free to air station so that everyone can fall in love with it.

Ah in this neck of the woods TV3 used to show a double bill at half four 7 years ago. It used to be a real highlight of my day after school and boring nights homework ahead. They were the days; they replaced it though with double episodes of the not as amusing Judge Judy.
Cunts.

fudgemonkey

A new Chris Morris thing without Brooker, the stupid quack candle.

Oh, and a new series of Twin Peaks, despite the fact that Leland was the best character.

Clinton Morgan

Something outstandingly good that I could not think of and increases the vocabulary of television even further. Or something to give me belly laughs.