Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:56:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Why don't Americans have proper names?

Started by Sam, January 27, 2017, 12:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JesusAndYourBush

On the Stephen Fry Fantastic Beasts thing on BBC1 just now - Monica Scroggin.

Famous Mortimer

I may have mentioned this elsewhere in this thread, but it's always fun to ponder the sports-person with the greatest name ever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_Shocker

Blue Jam

Super Mega Baseball 3 is now out and as expected the team rosters include some great (made-up) names:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13dpih-yNmDOpZJVhg4z4Qm5NIbzqk46jtTJx0LUsV8c/edit?usp=sharing

Good to see "Beefcake McStevens" from the second game is still in there.

Inspector Norse

MojoJojo

PlanktonSideburns

On a auction site listing:

QuoteYamaha CS80 ...it's time......

What a machine.
Obtained from a private collector last year.
Full service and tune in UK by the 'god' of these machines - Kent Spong.

touchingcloth

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on March 11, 2022, 09:17:04 PMOn a auction site listing:

Googling that it's a synth - do those things actually need tuning, or has this seller been royally had by Kent Spong? He probably decked it out with platinum wiring and tartan paint to boot.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 11, 2022, 10:09:20 PMGoogling that it's a synth - do those things actually need tuning, or has this seller been royally had by Kent Spong? He probably decked it out with platinum wiring and tartan paint to boot.

This made me chuckle

It's had the truss rod done, greets shaved, even chucked in a new bow for it to

You've been spronged mate

touchingcloth

Added an extra long wammy bar, double reed, a natural mute, few hand-wound organ pipes, all miniaturised and custom soldered to the main board. The name's Spong.

PlanktonSideburns

Video Game Fan 2000

Civilization II advisor who warns you not to cut funding to WetWipes?

Ferris

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on March 27, 2022, 02:51:07 PMCivilization II advisor who warns you not to cut funding to WetWipes?

What a deep cut. Completely right though.

Video Game Fan 2000

Sir! The people demand that we construct additional bidets.

Psmith

I always thought Brix was a typical American type name but it's a nick name apparently.
After "Guns of Brixton"

Cold Meat Platter

'after you see it you will shit' actually

Mister Six

Just watched this RLM video, which features an "inspirational" business lecture by one Don Beverage.

Famous Mortimer

Could do a whole thread of American sportspeople with weird names, but just wanted to mention St Louis Cardinals prospect

Tink Hence

Famous Mortimer

Walking past my local corner shop the other day, which mostly caters to the many Mexican families in the neighbourhood, they're selling this product, which is one of those things which sounds like a real word, perhaps a playground insult, but is in fact:

Sebastian Cobb

Had to conference call with a bloke in Houston called 'Ty' earlier in my career. Despite the stereotypical name he was one of the most clued-up and sardonic guys going so I considered him a GOOD EGG.

Also bought some phonetic kinship given my name is shortened to 'Si'.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 05, 2022, 09:08:02 PMWalking past my local corner shop the other day, which mostly caters to the many Mexican families in the neighbourhood, they're selling this product, which is one of those things which sounds like a real word, perhaps a playground insult, but is in fact:

Those sorts of things are usually much more subtly flavored(sabored) than you might think. Not that they are usually good, they just aren't necessarily nuclear sweet and oot fake strawberry. Have been eating my way through the panaderia inside the huge latinx grocery store with no guide to what is what and every bite is a surprise. Most things get a bite or two taken and in the bin. Flavo(u)r of hamburger bun with a bit of pink or yellow is a common. Fave so far is some sort of  bread pudding slice with pink gelatin added.

The panaderias are universally self-serve. You grab a cafeteria tray and a pair of tongs and select some things out of cases, then go pay where they carefully wrap and bag each item.

Sponch is regular stores here but never bought one.

I read an academic article recently by an American writer whose forename was Story.

She had a fairly nondescript surname though - not Teller or Book or anything like that.

shoulders

Replies From View

Everyone in America these days has a YouTube channel for taste-testing UK confectionary, and their actual birth names are things like Cobalt Drey.

Replies From View

A name now trending for newborns in the US is Seedy Cordell due to the unparalleled success of the word game sedecordle.

I saw a documentary the other day directed by "Kirby Dick"
Sorry if that's a well known one.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Dex Sawash on June 05, 2022, 10:10:34 PMThe panaderias are universally self-serve. You grab a cafeteria tray and a pair of tongs and select some things out of cases, then go pay where they carefully wrap and bag each item.
There's one of those about 50 yards from my house, which is very nice. I'm fond of their churros and those things that are like mini-pasties, but filled with custard. They also do comically large cakes - I saw a couple taking one which must have been five feet long with a mountain of fruit in one corner out to their car the other day.

Replies From View

My favourite American name is BUDDOCK, with the emphasis on the emboldened syllable.

BUDDOCK QUINCE and so on.  BUDDOCK SYLMNES.