Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:38:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The best comb over.

Started by darby o chill, May 17, 2021, 11:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold Meat Platter

Ferris

Quote from: darby o chill on May 19, 2021, 02:10:00 AM
I don't know who he is - his face is giving me anxiety. Tell me more about the show, did you see any backstage comb over activity?

They had a different dressing room. His name is Paul (something) from Maximo Park. Their rider included 35 combs and wig-glue[nb]this one is false[/nb].

Ferris

Now hang on a minute - Limmy is under no illusions about what's going on and would be the last man in Glasgow to get a combover. When it's gone (ie 6 more months) he'll accept it and do the necessary wet shave. Probably do it on twitch.

Quote from: Jittlebags on May 18, 2021, 02:21:49 PM
Frank Bough sporting a high level job.

Bough wasn't bald, he created that hairstyle as a practical choice

Jockice

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on May 18, 2021, 02:53:58 PM
Some cracking 'dos' so far. Nowadays, at the first signs of a receding hairline everyone seems to opt for the pre-emptive strike of a number 1 all over or the full head shave and we've ended up with a country full of Phil Mitchells.

I miss the days when men would valiantly try to disguise their baldness with a bit of creative comb work, Brylcreem and, for the adventurous, Cossack hairspray (for men).

A few years ago I planned to make everyone think I'd gone bald by growing a comb-over and a ponytail and wearing a baseball cap indoors. I wanted people to whip off the headgear and go: "You bald bast...oh, sorry mate."

Since then I have started losing it a bit on top and at the sides but most of the time (well, in most recent photos) it's not that obvious. Rather strange for a family in which most men on both sides are either already or going bald to an extent a relative in his early 30s recently had a transplant. I'm a freak!

poodlefaker

Was this a purely British penomenon? Were French / Spanish / Italian men more confident in their baldness? Were toupees more affordable in the States? I'd like to see some action from the  East German boys.

An tSaoi

George Costanza had a barely there combover in the early days of Seinfeld, trying to create a barrier between the front recession and the rear bald spot. He got the makeup lady to thicken it with mascara or something. Absolutely pointless.

steve98

Quote from: poodlefaker on May 19, 2021, 09:06:21 AM
Was this a purely British penomenon? Were French / Spanish / Italian men more confident in their baldness? Were toupees more affordable in the States? I'd like to see some action from the  East German boys.

No, the Japanese can certainly give us a run for our money. There's a generation coming of age now in Japan who're giving the same love and attention to their comb-overs that a previous generation gave to Bonsai. Check it out.

Jittlebags

Quote from: poodlefaker on May 19, 2021, 09:06:21 AM
Was this a purely British penomenon?

Vive le président..

Former Algerian president Abdelaziz Bouteflika.

poodlefaker

nice. strands across the ocean.

Blue Jam

Quote from: steve98 on May 19, 2021, 10:01:04 AM
No, the Japanese can certainly give us a run for our money. There's a generation coming of age now in Japan who're giving the same love and attention to their comb-overs that a previous generation gave to Bonsai. Check it out.

I'm wondering which CaBber wrote this:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/jmaqk8/celebrating-the-great-combovers-of-asia

"bald fraternity" sounds like something Larry David would mention in Curb.

I saw quite a few in Japan, including one which kind of went round in a swirl. The chap sporting that one was the bandleader of a big band I saw at a jazz club, standing with his back (and his comb over) to the audience while conducting. Perhaps being in that particular profession was what made him so self-conscious about his hair, whatever, it was kind of impressive

Butchers Blind

Scargill back in the day

Proper big comb over.

Jockice

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 19, 2021, 02:54:20 AM
They had a different dressing room. His name is Paul (something) from Maximo Park. Their rider included 35 combs and wig-glue[nb]this one is false[/nb].

Smith. I remember this because there's not only a fashion designer but a chap from my year at school who share his name.  The Maximo bloke is the baldest of them all though.

Thomas

Excited to see how Jude Law will tantalise us in the coming years -

It won't be your traditional 1970s footballer/trade unionist combover, but he's extracting every last resource from an increasingly isolated hairrrrr island.

Art Bear

BBC Sport's David Coleman had a lengthy relationship with the 'over.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Thomas on May 19, 2021, 01:18:31 PM

It won't be your traditional 1970s footballer/trade unionist combover, but he's extracting every last resource from an increasingly isolated hairrrrr island.

Nah, he doesn't give a fuck and it's refreshing, fair play to him. I reckon he'll just keep on rocking the Sexy Mark Williams look.

steve98

The Red Wedge. Many a police truncheon's had a smack at that; reader, they couldn't even dent it.

Thomas

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 19, 2021, 01:35:00 PM
Nah, he doesn't give a fuck and it's refreshing, fair play to him. I reckon he'll just keep on rocking the Sexy Mark Williams look.

I do admire the free-flowing recession, too, and I'll be happy if I have such a symmetrical hairline as I near my 50s. I'm just interested to see how avant garde his tidal mohawk gets.

I.D. Smith

Quote from: Thomas on May 19, 2021, 01:18:31 PM

Always felt an affinity with Jude Law, as I felt my hair took a similar style of recession and attempts to hide it as his, although mine was over a much shorter time frame before I gave up and adopted the buzz cut - he's been eeking out what he has for about 20 years now, whereas my time period was a short, sharp shock over about 8 years.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Thomas on May 19, 2021, 01:45:05 PM
I do admire the free-flowing recession, too, and I'll be happy if I have such a symmetrical hairline as I near my 50s. I'm just interested to see how avant garde his tidal mohawk gets.

Hahahahah! I like to think of Jude Law and Mark Williams' style as a Hair Peninsula, ie, a HAAIIIR IIISSSLAAAND that hasn't yet drifted away from the mainland hair to form a Mid-Head Oxbow.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I get the feeling you just want to boff Jude Law, so his hair gets a free pass.

Blue Jam

Nah, Jude Law never did it for me for some reason. Not a bad-looking lad at all but not for me. Never gave a fuck about baldness though and I don't know why people here get so hung up on it. I've always thought it's more than a little mean to mock someone over a natural part of the ageing process unless it's Prince William.

It's also better for a man to not give a fuck and to go au naturel than to pay a king's ransom to have a surgical robot stab them in the head 10,000 times despite the risk that they may end up looking like Jimmy White. I know hair transplant technology is getting better but that doesn't stop it being freaky as fuck:

The Culture Bunker

Blimey, I had no idea Jason Alexander had gone down that road.

beanheadmcginty

Jason Alexander's hair is a "semi-permanent toupee" apparently. Something I didn't know existed.

darby o chill

Interesting style I haven't seen before courtesy of Adrian Utley from Portishead.
It's like a little model railway bridge of hair at the back with a tuft upfront to distract you.

poodlefaker

Was watching The Producers last night, and Zero Mostel's hair rig is a sight to behold. It seems to originate in a reservoir of hair on the back of his head, just above the nape of his neck, trained up and over to his forehead and kept in place with vaseline. A triumph.

Blue Jam

If we're doing fictional combovers, Saul Goodman's "combover mullet" is a classic of the genre but I think it really comes into its own in the later seasons of Breaking Bad, when Saul uses a bit of drug money to treat himself to some highlights. That's so tragic it's almost admirable.

The winner has to be Pete Campbell in Mad Men though. Not only is it a proper 70's game show host affair, it's also a very brave move on the part of haired man Vincent Kartheiser:

Or is this just bald appropriation? Are you offended, CaBbers?

Blue Jam

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on May 22, 2021, 07:05:12 PM
Jason Alexander's hair is a "semi-permanent toupee" apparently. Something I didn't know existed.

What is this exactly? Is that the same as a "hair system"? As far as I can tell this is a little hairpiece that's attached and replaced by a professional every six weeks. Sounds like the upkeep would be a nightmare. Not to mention the panic in the shower or at the swimming pool or in an unexpected downpour.

And what did "hair system" users do during lockdown? Grow combovers? I hope they did.

I think the man bun that Thom Yorke's been sporting over the past five or so years could be an inventive take on the classic combover.

Bald spot appearing at the back? Simply scrunch up all the other hair from your head and knot it into a fat "bun" shape, to conceal the sunroof.

Sebastian Cobb

Doesn't 'semi-permanent' just mean a syrup that's sewn-in?