Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:29:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shooting #24601

Started by bgmnts, May 15, 2022, 10:28:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Another mass shooting in the states if anyone even cares anymore.

Bit of a modern twist, the lad livestreamed it on Twitch.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/05/14/nyregion/buffalo-shooting

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

can't read more than the headline and a quick summary paragraph without paying

I love journalism

Wonderful Butternut

"Now is not the time to talk about gun control."

Maybe everyone in America will just eventually shoot each other if we give it long enough?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on May 15, 2022, 10:33:07 AM"Now is not the time to talk about gun control."

Maybe everyone in America will just eventually shoot each other if we give it long enough?
I wish they'd just fucking admit that they're okay with children being murdered, because they get to slide a gun in and out of their lubricated gaping assholes and/or get plenty of delicious money from the pro-gun lobby.

TrenterPercenter

left behind "a manifesto"

What's the betting it contains citations of rightwing shock jocks talking about white genocide?  That being said, if it does then I'm sure it's a complete coincidence to this lone wolf acting in this way.

pcsjwgm

The shooter plagiarised Tucker Carlson in his manifesto. (And Tucker Carlson's writer probably plagiarised it from the /pol/ sewer that he, and presumably the shooter, frequents.)
https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1525612878568558593

TrenterPercenter

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: pcsjwgm on May 15, 2022, 11:06:43 AMThe shooter plagiarised Tucker Carlson in his manifesto. (And Tucker Carlson's writer probably plagiarised it from the /pol/ sewer that he, and presumably the shooter, frequents.)

Say what you like it's the premier news source for white supremacist shootings, including claims that he unexpectedly encountered a white dude cowering on the floor in the middle of the livestream and apologised to him.

Wonderful Butternut

Bet he was an incel as well.

Butchers Blind

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: pcsjwgm on May 15, 2022, 11:06:43 AMThe shooter plagiarised Tucker Carlson in his manifesto. (And Tucker Carlson's writer probably plagiarised it from the /pol/ sewer that he, and presumably the shooter, frequents.)

So something on fascism.  Fascism takes it's name from the fascio a bundle of sticks (the same bundle of sticks used it is symbolism) the reason is because "one stick alone is weak, whilst a bundle of sticks together is strong". Fascism is predicated on this very simple and childlike worldview.  Race, in this sense is just a problem in binding sticks together because it is perceived as introducing conflicts of interest between "the sticks" and therefore meaning a nation can never be strong. 

I think it is important understand this because the term fascism is sometimes used as a catch all for everything bad when it is something quite specific and therefore countering it is quite specific.  The psychological appeal is for people for individuals and groups (usually race but it doesn't actually have to be) to identify traits they perceive as representing kinship (feeling safety and civic pride).  It works like a giant pyramid scheme selling the idea that observance and contribution will result in some future reward.  This is why it suits so many of these media personalities, they sell this product of "hope" to their audiences and offer explanations as to why they are suffering (it's a pseudo-religious ideology and operates just like evangelicalism). 

Psychologically it is highly potent, because it is based on primitive aspects of survival around kinship groups.  Groups sustain themselves by organising themselves, they can do this by asserting ideas of purity and adherence to group demands, and if these demands are not actually achievable then all the better. That is how it works and why aspects of reductionism or intolerance to other people views which might dilute group concerns should be resisted in leftwing movements.  That doesn't mean allowing racist/fascist ideas to propagate, that is something else, but you don't define yourselves by being tin eared or reactive to minor differences of opinion and you don't build movements around your enemy.  It also means you don't disingenuously uprate what people say to racist or fascist beliefs - this is harmful to leftwing causes (and where aspects of profilicity and individualism have crept in). 

You have keep empathic reasoning alive if you want to bring back fascists they are functioning in a very different way to other people, being fed a diet of fear and anger, parts of the brain close down in order to focus on survival based behaviour.  Getting through to someone requires them trusting new information and feeling safe (to allow them to think and function normally) - You won't do that by screaming in their faces, the first thing every fascist learns is that the enemy will tell them they are wrong and make them feel ashamed - this is a massive part of how they controlled.

JohnnyCouncil

Not terrorism either so that's good.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Be American
Nip out to buy groceries
Get shot in the head

Dex Sawash

[tag] abandoned Les Mis first act early drafts [/tag]

JesusAndYourBush

idunnosomename

i think this is an odd one to be flippant about, it's obviously directly inspired by the Christchurch 2019 shootings. albeit this one was much more poorly organised (partly because the Christchurch perpetrator had so much wealth he'd inherited he had huge resources to pull it off) it's still motivated by great replacement conspiracy theories, the sort of thing that Douglas Murray happily pushes in our great sensible media.

I don't think it lasted very long, but theres one bit on the twitch stream where he points the gun at someone on the floor by a cash register, they scream, but he sees they're white and goes "sorry". it was a 100% a racist massacre. He even has the N-word written on the barrel of the gun.

frightening culture really

JamesTC

Starting to think that guns might not be a good thing.

idunnosomename

Also there was a former cop with a gun there and he ended up dying. Really doesnt look good for guns

oggyraiding

From my cursory glance at 4chan's politics board, a common opinion seems to be that he is so obvious as a white supremacist terrorist, that he must be a CIA false flag to give white supremacists a bad name. Lots of mental gymnastics there.

Rev+

It's the same on Breitbart, FreeRepublic and all of the other lovely places these fine people congregate.  Just as it was for Christchurch, just as it is whenever someone actually does the kind of thing they spend all day posting fantasies about:  obviously a false flag.  Always has an undercurrent of 'it can't have been one of us, we're too fucking lazy'.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: oggyraiding on May 15, 2022, 08:05:37 PMFrom my cursory glance at 4chan's politics board, a common opinion seems to be that he is so obvious as a white supremacist terrorist, that he must be a CIA false flag to give white supremacists a bad name. Lots of mental gymnastics there.

10 PEOPLE DEAD
AND YOU'RE TO BLAME
YOU GIVE NAZIS
A BAD NAME

Ferris

Mad that you can buy body armour and everyone's like "yup mate that's normal, this body armour is on sale would you like this one?"

What possible reason could you have for buying it beyond doing some crime?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Imagine doing this when you're 18 years old. If he lives to be 80ish he's looking at more than 60 years in prison.

Ferris

Quote of the day:

QuoteRobert Donald, the owner of Vintage Firearms in Endicott, N.Y., said Sunday that he recently sold a Bushmaster assault weapon to Mr. Gendron.

"I just can't believe it. I don't understand why an 18-year-old would even do this," said Mr. Donald, 75, who primarily sells collectible firearms. "I know I didn't do anything wrong, but I feel terrible about it."

bgmnts

Nobody is topping that I don't think.

Pinball

Rinse and repeat. Nothing changes. Nothing learned. Dead by dawn.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Ferris on May 15, 2022, 09:01:12 PMMad that you can buy body armour and everyone's like "yup mate that's normal, this body armour is on sale would you like this one?"

What possible reason could you have for buying it beyond doing some crime?

Going to school

Zero Gravitas

What proports to be his 180 page manifesto was packed with so many /pol/ memes google docs stopped opening it properly and wouldn't let him paste additional images into it - he also mentions that he knows the contents of his documents can be surveilled but has no other choice.

Pages and pages ethno-religious breakdowns of governments and corporations, national birth rates and stonetoss comics mixed in with diagrams, crude maps of the supermarket and plans of action down to the minute including when to do the last check discord to make sure his camera was streaming.

Pages and pages of opinions on firearms, ammunition, modifications, body armour, how he extensively and illegally modified his XM-15, although by his own admission he knows very little about firearms - onto which he used a white paint pen to write the names of a number of previous mass shooters (Brevik, Manshaus, Earnest) the subject of which he spends a good deal of time hero worshiping, he states a clear desire to survive and go to trial just like them, viewing them as all aligned in a decentralised fight against the "replacement of the white race".

Just very online stuff. So very clearly his constellation of beliefs, memes and cherry picked Wikipedia articles are from roiling in /pol/ and discord for years - the only personally arrived at motivations he attempts to call out is some isolated incidences of bullying but even that is retrospectively couched in the language and meme-ideology of these servers.

Butchers Blind

All right guys, thanks for posting your thoughts. See you again in a couple of weeks, yeah?