Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,343
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:19:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

bargains

Started by madhair60, May 26, 2022, 01:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retsuza

Quote from: Paul Calf on May 26, 2022, 02:01:27 PMWhere does a quiche cost 20 Euros? Do you live in Monaco?

That was a typo it was originally two euro.

Butchers Blind

A few months back I went to buy a new blender from a local department store. The price on the shelf was £45. When I took it to the till, the cashier scanned it and the price came up as £5. She looked at me as if to say "this isn't £5", I just shrugged my shoulders, she did the same and passed it through. As she gave me the receipt she said, "It's my last day at the end of the week". Clearly no fucks given on her part.

seepage

when I worked for a large retailer, supplier sample shirts/trousers/shoes were £5. Wine from the warehouse with a damaged label was half-price but supplier sample wines i.e. with the original label instead of the retailer's own label were £2 a bottle, including Grand Cru Classe Bordeaux, super Tuscans etc.

shoulders

Quote from: Joe Qunt on May 26, 2022, 03:52:10 PMExplains a lot.

I look forward to showing you my successful vasectomy at the next meet.

Sebastian Cobb

"does it hurt?"
"only if I catch me thumb between the bricks"

Brian Freeze

Mine was free, and it was such a good job I was able to go to the pub when i woke up.
That's what I call a bargain.

checkoutgirl

In 1995 I got 5 CDs for nothing in the post from Britannia. We were all working that scam at the time. The albums were

Goldie - Timeless
Leftfield - Leftism
Tricky - Maxinquay
Chemical Brothers - Exit Planet Dust
Black Grape - It's Great When You're Straight... Yeah!

All bangers (except Black Grape), brand new and completely free!

I look back fondly on January 2017 when a newly-opened Aldi branch near me overestimated how many festive-themed 250g packs of dark chocolate-coated peanuts they could sell over Christmas. Week by week they reduced them, from €2 to 1.50, to €1, to 50 cents, and I'd always pick up a couple of packs with whatever else I was buying - bread, bananas, typical groceries really - but the stock never seemed to diminish by much. When they finally got down to 30 cents I just cleared them out, took about 30 bags and was eating them into summer.

retsuza

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 26, 2022, 08:53:53 PMIn 1995 I got 5 CDs for nothing in the post from Britannia. We were all working that scam at the time. The albums were

Goldie - Timeless
Leftfield - Leftism
Tricky - Maxinquay
Chemical Brothers - Exit Planet Dust
Black Grape - It's Great When You're Straight... Yeah!

All bangers (except Black Grape), brand new and completely free!

Please elaborate on this amazing scam. Not like I can take advantage but it sounds great.

jobotic

Wearing trousers right now that cost me a fiver in a charity shop and seem to be in perfect nick. Fit well too.

£70 on Reiss website.

shoulders

Oh forgot, last month I got a whole goose (Gressingham) knocked down to £6.

The meat yield was a little disappointing overall, however the legs were fantastic cooked on the stove for about 8 hours on low. Two different cabbages (red and sauerkraut) and sage stuffing with loads of vedge fisted up the cavity and that were grand.

Which was nice.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: retsuza on May 26, 2022, 09:29:40 PMPlease elaborate on this amazing scam. Not like I can take advantage but it sounds great.

This is from Wikipedia. We basically got the first 5 free CDs and didn't bother with the rest of the deal.

QuoteBritannia Music Club (1969–2007) was a British mail-order company owned by PolyGram which sponsored the Brit Awards. The company was acquired by Universal Music Group as part of PolyGram in 1998, and closed in 2007. The direct marketing format was to offer an unbeatable discounted offer from PolyGram's catalogue, such as an offer of four albums for £1 each - or Solti's recording of Wagner's Ring for the Britannia Classical Club - which then required the member to buy six CDs in the first year and three in the second year at full price. Together with bonus offers. The company also engaged in on-line sales from 1998 to 2007.

Famous Mortimer

The way I did it was, order stuff - from Britannia, maybe from one of those old catalogues - towards the end of the school year, under a false name. The stuff arrived, you'd get it, and the requests for payment were the problem of the next people who lived in that house.

So, more fraud than bargains, I suppose. It was even worth paying for the introductory offer then rinsing them for more CDs with your next order.

studpuppet

Working in a bookshop and saw an interesting new kid's book with a big compass on the front.
Sounded interesting, so started reading it, and then bought it with staff discount, along with the next two books that came out (read both of these as well).
Left them on the shelf and then got a call from my sister one day, who'd been watching Cash In The Attic or something similar and told me they'd sold the first book for a grand.
Eventually sold all three to the same buyer for £3,145, and drove the 70 miles to his house because I didn't trust posting them.

markburgle

Quote from: Poisson Du Jour on May 26, 2022, 09:04:52 PMI look back fondly on January 2017 when a newly-opened Aldi branch near me overestimated how many festive-themed 250g packs of dark chocolate-coated peanuts they could sell over Christmas. Week by week they reduced them, from €2 to 1.50, to €1, to 50 cents, and I'd always pick up a couple of packs with whatever else I was buying - bread, bananas, typical groceries really - but the stock never seemed to diminish by much. When they finally got down to 30 cents I just cleared them out, took about 30 bags and was eating them into summer.

Always look forward to the post-Easter smorgasboard of knock-down clear-out choc. Although disappointingly the stores all seemed to have judged their quantities correctly this year and I hardly scored anything. Year before it was bags of mini eggs and galaxy eggs for 10p, smarties eggs for 20p, absolutely sugared off my tits I was

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 26, 2022, 09:46:44 PMThe way I did it was, order stuff - from Britannia, maybe from one of those old catalogues - towards the end of the school year, under a false name. The stuff arrived, you'd get it, and the requests for payment were the problem of the next people who lived in that house.

So, more fraud than bargains, I suppose. It was even worth paying for the introductory offer then rinsing them for more CDs with your next order.

I remember Britannia pranking, as the leaflets used to come in the newspaper most weeks. Make up comedy names and just address them to random people on the street.

Head Gardener

I thought I'd found a bargain of old Silver Jubilee first day covers going cheap but they turned out to be pretty toxic to resell on the bay (ie no-one wants them) so have posted the lot to my mum so she can try and flog them at a village green fete next weekend.

pupshaw

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 26, 2022, 03:31:13 PMBought a Goldring Lenco GL75 transcription turntable for about 40 quid just before the vinyl revival kicked off, it came with a Shure V15 type III cartridge, boxed (mine isn't) the cartridges go for about 300 quid these and the decks seem to go for a fair whack more these days as well.

Ha! I got the same thing for £5 at one of those local street Jumble Trails. Haven't plugged it in yet, so it may not work.

thenoise

I got the Solti Ring set as a teenager and I'll finish listening to it any day now.

GoblinAhFuckScary

my fave vivienne westwood dress i got for 17 quid

pigamus

Quote from: retsuza on May 26, 2022, 09:29:40 PMPlease elaborate on this amazing scam. Not like I can take advantage but it sounds great.

The way it worked was, basically - every month thereafter, you had to send back a card to them, with a box ticked to say, no I don't want your Pick of the Month from the catalogue - otherwise they would send it and you'd have to pay full price for it, and sometimes they'd chance their arm and send it anyway. And you also had to buy X number of albums full price a year I think, I can't remember now.

Dex Sawash

Got a matched pair of 1965 VNB Vespa scooters for $100.
One in boxes, one still assembled. Had the assembled one running in an hour. The other one is still in boxes.

The Crumb

Remembering the beautiful day as a student when rotisserie chickens were 10p in Asda.

JaDanketies

Tesco near me does Matzo crackers for like 5p a box if you catch them just after the right Jewish holiday