Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:10:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stranger Things S4

Started by Bad Ambassador, May 26, 2022, 02:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Just discovered this place in Embra exists:

A Stranger Things-themed bar? Paint some letters on the wall, put some fairy lights up, job's a good 'un. This is such a doss I can't help but admire it. Why didn't I think of this?

Here I'm at the end of season 2. Still enjoying it but it's like Mr. Robot in that I'll probably watch the entire thing and really enjoy it before forgetting about it and never watching it again. I certainly couldn't get obsessed enough to visit a bar themed around it.

olliebean

Tbh, slogging through to the end of S4 has put me off ever giving S5 the time of day.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Proactive on July 24, 2022, 03:15:15 PMJust wondering what kind of gay shit you were hoping for.

a lesbian being actively lesbian rather than the script largely hinting at the fact. letting her have an onscreen relationship. you have straight relationships all over the shop without a full-on penetration shot to evidence it

Proactive

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 24, 2022, 04:34:10 PMJust discovered this place in Embra exists:

A Stranger Things-themed bar? Paint some letters on the wall, put some fairy lights up, job's a good 'un. This is such a doss I can't help but admire it. Why didn't I think of this?

Why is 'down' both upside down and backwards.  Some people are stealing a living.

Armed Traffic Warden

There's no denying the show is nowhere near as tight now as it was. It's an absolutely fair criticism (how bloated it is). However I love the characters, the dynamics and general feel of the show. I'm very happy spending as much time as possible with them. The writers absolutely know this. In that sense it's a very different show than in season 1
Oddly, seeing as they gave so much running time to this season, I wish they'd spent more time 'living' in their worlds before following the inevitable scooby doo plot lines this season. A lot of the fun of season 3 was how long it stayed in the unsuspecting world pre action scenes and 11 grabbing air apples.

Mister Six

Quote from: Pink Gregory on July 24, 2022, 09:12:09 PMWhy is 'down' both upside down and backwards. 

So you can read it? Otherwise it would look like THE UPSIDE DOMИ.

Pink Gregory

I've just realised what bugged me about this season; for a show that's so heavily built on its cast and it's characters, no one actually develops, grows or changes?

Joyce is off to Russia because Joyce is determined, Hopper is in Russia and Hopper is determined, Brett Gelman cracks wise and is determined.

Mike is frustrated, Will is frustrated and haunted, Dustin cracks wise and is determined, Lucas is the doubter who comes around eventually, Max is kind of these because they ran out of things to do with her now that Billy's gone and Eleven is elsewhere.

Eleven struggles to fit in, and after some peril rallies to save her friends.

Steve, Nancy and Robin have had all their character development already so why bother.  Jonathan seems to have gone backwards to being an awkward dweeb except it's weed this time.

Just...the events aren't compelling enough to carry it on their own.

Blue Jam

This is basically the American Garth Marenghi's Darkplace innit?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Are they doing the really long episode thing next series as well? I don't think I can face that. Should be chalked up as a bad experiment and just make them an hourish long again.

The Mollusk

Finished this last night and feel like bumping the thread because in 6 pages of chat I'm astonished no one has mentioned how totally fucking lame and unscary Vecna is. Up until the reveal of his backstory I couldn't have given a single shit about who he was or what he was up to, and even after that he was still completely ineffective as a menacing presence. (Also surprised no one has mentioned the Nightmare on Elm Street homage, with the institutionalised Victor Creel being played by Robert England, but this may be one of those things that was all over the internet and I don't read anything anywhere other than here.)

Also the DEEWWWWW wonky clock chime noise that was hammered through every scene when he was appearing to fuck stuff up was the most corny mood killing crap ever. When they ramped it up massively for that big scene in the finale I was completely detached from the intended terror or peril of the show, and the cliffhanger scene that closed the episode, again terribly overblown with ineffective orchestral swells over the extended version of the theme song, was a flop.

By the end of it I was left wishing this season was the last and that they'd tied everything up in that final 2.5hrs, lord knows they had the time to do it. Every season so far has ramped up the drama significantly over the last, with season 3 in my opinion being the peak - all the pastiches which were the perfect blend of knowing cheesiness and entertaining homage, the character development, the horror which was genuinely compelling - but season 4 was too much, everything was way too dramatic. Season 5 is going to be batshit and I'm really not looking forward to it based on this trajectory.

The Mollusk

Oh and another thing, again considering how much they dragged shit out this season it's remarkable how badly they tied up the loose ends in the last few scenes. Other than his scene with Eddie's uncle, Dustin seemed to be coping totally fine in the wake of tragedy. The status of Hawkins - the earthquake news and the fact that everyone was just milling about not knowing it was some sort of mega-gate opening right until the closing scene - being really vague. Absolutely no one except Eleven reacting with any surprise whatsoever that Hopper was back and had not in fact been obliterated, and similarly when the two groups of kids are reunited, prior to that there had been next to no chat from either party about how the others might be doing. Just slapped them back together for a reunion, hugs, that's it. It really wasn't well written at all.

aunt mildred

I was thinking about watching this but couldn't remember if I'd watched series 3, decided to think 'ahh fuck it'. ok cheers bye.

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Pink Gregory on July 24, 2022, 09:12:09 PMWhy is 'down' both upside down and backwards.  Some people are stealing a living.
Because it's easier to find the rotate tool than it is the 'flip layer vertically' option.

EDIT:  Oh wait, no.  It's DOMN.  That's why.  I apologise.