Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:58:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Halifax introduces name badges with pronouns

Started by Stigdu, July 02, 2022, 08:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

I love the idea that anyone in the world gives a fuck what Howard from the Halifax ads thinks about anything.

Wonder what toilet duck makes of it all.

phantom_power

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 02, 2022, 08:35:10 PMbasic facts about the world change

Anyone who uses this phrase should be immediately ignored as there are very few "basic facts" about the world that aren't either simplifications, compromises, rough groupings with outliers or things that were learnt at school that we now know are more complicated than that.

touchingcloth

I'm mostly surprised to learn that Howard from The Halifax actually worked for The Halifax, having assumed he was, y'know, an actor. Maybe his career wasn't going in the direction he wanted it to, and in between takes he had a quiet word with a branch manager about doing it for reals. "My name is Howard. I'm not a TERF, but I play one on TV".

phantom_power

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on July 03, 2022, 08:25:30 AMDoes anyone think they're doing this because they care about trans people? It's obviously for money. Banks don't care about your human rights, stop deluding yourselves

Banks are made up of people and some of the people who were responsible for this decision and making it happen will have good intentions. The idea that it is solely a PR stunt or not is reductive. It also links intent to outcome where that isn't strictly necessary. The outcome is good so there may not be too much point in examining the intention

Kankurette

OMG, banks are corporate whores? Did you know the Pope is Catholic, bears shit in the woods and the England cricket team are banned from schools?

Butchers Blind

It's funny what people choose to get riled up about.
This government is screwing over the country, but you know, pronouns on badges.

shoulders

Quote from: Butchers Blind on July 04, 2022, 12:48:19 PMIt's funny what people choose are invited and endlessly manipulated to get riled up about.
This government is screwing over the country, but you know, pronouns on badges.

Fixed

Quote from: somersetchris on July 03, 2022, 01:12:36 PMI know some people who still pay me by cheque so I have to pay t hem in. Do I win?

I don't know about other banks, but with the Lloyds app you can pay in cheques by taking a photo of them - gamechanger.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: somersetchris on July 03, 2022, 01:12:36 PMI can. I needed to re-activate a savings account and needed to appear in person in order to avoid any kind of identity fraud. Was not that long ago. I know some people who still pay me by cheque so I have to pay t hem in. Do I win?

No. I win because I still go to the bank regularly to make payments. Partly because I don't trust the security of online banking and partly because I am a luddite in the sense that I don't want workers to lose their income to technology.

It is admittedly a pain in the arse, though.

Barry Admin

Quote from: phantom_power on July 04, 2022, 10:43:19 AMAnyone who uses this phrase should be immediately ignored as there are very few "basic facts" about the world that aren't either simplifications, compromises, rough groupings with outliers or things that were learnt at school that we now know are more complicated than that.

I agree.

The quote makes it clear that they're a raging radicalised transphobe, rather than someone who just doesn't like social change and who thinks pronouns are faddy and dumb:

QuoteJuan Jeringuilla said: "I identify as somebody who does not believe that basic facts about the world change because of Gemma's feelings. I furthermore think her feelings should remain at home and are inappropriate to impose upon customers in her workplace. Can I be included in this "People thing" ?"

It's clearly a "you cannot change your sex" reaction - which trans people don't think anyway - and is just wildly inappropriate.

Just some fucking prick who likely follows psychopaths like Ben Shapiro and JK Rowling.

Lol, just looked up this Twitter and he's retweeting GB News and shit like that. A copper-bottomed loon.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1543314578938990593?cxt=HHwWgsC45dib-uoqAAAA

shoulders

Sounds like Juan wants to 'silence' or even 'cancel' Gemma by imposing what can and can't be said.

shiftwork2

I'm sure I once read something about a terf trying to shoehorn transphobia into 'religion or belief' as a protected characteristic.  If I remember correctly the threshold is low enough (affects your life choices, or similar) that the prominent GC people might actually qualify.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: phantom_power on July 04, 2022, 11:05:38 AMBanks are made up of people and some of the people who were responsible for this decision and making it happen will have good intentions. The idea that it is solely a PR stunt or not is reductive. It also links intent to outcome where that isn't strictly necessary. The outcome is good so there may not be too much point in examining the intention

I just don't agree. Companies wokewashing is bad, even if it has positive side effects. If you think they did this for anything other than financial profit I think you're mad.

McDonald's spent four years and over 10 million dollars before introducing the mcwrap. They will have done research to see if this would attract more customers than it would repel. I doubt they would have done it otherwise.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on July 04, 2022, 01:57:10 PMI just don't agree. Companies wokewashing is bad, even if it has positive side effects. If you think they did this for anything other than financial profit I think you're mad.

McDonald's spent four years and over 10 million dollars before introducing the mcwrap. They will have done research to see if this would attract more customers than it would repel. I doubt they would have done it otherwise.

what identity was the mcwrap wokewashing pandering to, flat stanley?

phantom_power

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on July 04, 2022, 01:57:10 PMI just don't agree. Companies wokewashing is bad, even if it has positive side effects. If you think they did this for anything other than financial profit I think you're mad.

The other way of looking at this is that normalising these things is the aim and to do that you need big corporations getting involved. If they get good publicity as a by-product then that can't be helped. The alternative is big corporations doing nothing, because by design they will never do anything radical. You don't have to praise the corporations involved to be pleased by the outcome

The Mollusk

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: phantom_power on July 04, 2022, 02:12:07 PMThe other way of looking at this is that normalising these things is the aim and to do that you need big corporations getting involved. If they get good publicity as a by-product then that can't be helped. The alternative is big corporations doing nothing, because by design they will never do anything radical. You don't have to praise the corporations involved to be pleased by the outcome

the other angle is that the more corporate "activism" dominates how things are perceived and the sort of ideas that people use to think about issues, the more they steer the ship and the more their outsized material and financial power translates directly into ideology.  no smaller or more spontaneous group could ever compete. in fact, i think its a major reason why activism itself is has become the main form of left or liberal political action over, errr, more direct forms of political pressure. you can have a career in activism. not so many careers going in dissidence and rebellion.

we've seen this happen with ecology (focusing on littering and community parks) and race (good careers for the strivers, representation and uplift) and feminism ([REDACTED]). its consensus that its a bad or even tasteless thing to focus on economic or financial side of an issue too much, right? its not weird how these ideas get popularised and some radical ideas reach mass consensus while others dont. one of the problems one emight have with pronoun badges and signatures is that its the angle that treats "the conversation" around gender as a matter of personal responsibility as far as it can - its a matter of employees and customers doing something, not really changing how things are overall. good for legal and hr, good for public perceptions, not great for someone with a dispute about harassment or mistreatment. whether that sort of cynicism is the case here is impossible to tell.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: phantom_power on July 04, 2022, 02:12:07 PMThe other way of looking at this is that normalising these things is the aim and to do that you need big corporations getting involved. If they get good publicity as a by-product then that can't be helped. The alternative is big corporations doing nothing, because by design they will never do anything radical. You don't have to praise the corporations involved to be pleased by the outcome

Yeah true but the corporations are jumping on bandwagons years too late. If they'd done this ten years ago when it was still risky I'd respect that, but they're doing it now when it's mostly safe and profitable and taking credit for other people's work

Barry Admin

Who the fuck wants or needs to respect corporations?

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 04, 2022, 02:21:19 PMWho the fuck wants or needs to respect corporations?

Me. I can't live my life without respecting corporations. Are you telling me you don't feel the same? Because that would be mind blowing

Stigdu

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 04, 2022, 02:21:19 PMWho the fuck wants or needs to respect corporations?

Let me explain to you how this works: you see, the corporations finance Team America, and then Team America goes out... and the corporations sit there in their... in their corporation buildings, and... and, and see, they're all corporation-y... and they make money.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on July 04, 2022, 02:23:56 PMMe. I can't live my life without respecting corporations. Are you telling me you don't feel the same? Because that would be mind blowing

Patronise is not the same as respect. What are you on about man, how much do you want to dig this stupid hole of semantics. Maybe you'd like to bring slave ownership into this argument about respect seeing as you love that shit

Martin Van Buren Stan

Excuse me Sir, your brain appears to be absolutely FUCKED and I don't understand what you mean. When have I ever mentioned slavery?

The Mollusk

It was a convoluted joke. I mean your arguments seem to constantly wind around to having sly digs at black rights movements, which has been pointed out here several times in the last couple days at least.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 04, 2022, 02:34:02 PMIt was a shite joke. I mean your arguments seem to constantly wind around to having sly digs at black rights movements, which has been pointed out here several times in the last couple days at least.

No. I'm just against stealing from hospitals and doing murders. And this applies whether the hospital stealers and murderers are black or not. Hope that's okay xx

Video Game Fan 2000

i prefered Halifax's earlier work

a bunch of people turning into a giant house on an advert, real daring transhumanism that radically disrupted the biopolitics of domesticity and dwelling and the utility of bodies

now they're just following the flock its really sad to see them fade out like REM

Martin Van Buren Stan

Also @themollusk I won't even get into your insanely racist, bigotry of low expectations attitude. "Yeah al sharpton steals from charity but he's black so lay off him" appears to be your view. As if black people just can't help but steal so we shouldn't hold them to account.

Video Game Fan 2000

But always -do not forget this, Winston- always there will be the intoxication of power, constantly increasing and constantly growing subtler. Always, at every moment, there will be the thrill of victory, the sensation of trampling on an enemy who is helpless.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine Al Sharpton being asked his pronouns when he opens an account at the Halifax. Forever.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Funny!

But in all seriousness I don't want it to look like I'm the one derailing these threads. I'm talking about fucking Halifax and some weirdo starts accusing me of racism so obviously I've got to address that point rather than just let it stand. The Mollusk was responsible for the derailing, not me.

jobotic

Perhaps those who call out racism are the real racists.