Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:30:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Halifax introduces name badges with pronouns

Started by Stigdu, July 02, 2022, 08:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Quote from: Kelvin on July 02, 2022, 09:22:02 PMI don't really agree with this. Its not an empty gesture just because they aren't doing more, its a progressive step in its own right.

That said, are they actually compelling their staff to do it? Because I thought the progressive position was actually that people should be able to choose whether they display their pronouns, so that people who don't know their gender, or haven't come out as trans/non-binary don't feel compelled to do so until they're ready?

My workplace is very woke (probably something like 5% of staff who explicitly identify as something other than cis, lots of visible work being done on diversity in hiring), and the email sigs are optional for just that reason.

imitationleather

Quote from: madhair60 on July 02, 2022, 09:24:53 PMcan't believe halifax have put pronouns on their badges. i mean... what on earth is the world coming to?!

You couldn't make it up, mate.

Video Game Fan 2000

if Captain Tom wore one of these badges his pronouns would be Nazi/Nonce/Dead wouldnt they CaB? That's what you like isnt it

The Dog

I bet Lord and Lady Rothermere are absolutely livid about this. Not sure which one is the man one, but I bet he's most livid of all.

madhair60

if i saw one of those badges i'd be like... uhh... okaaaaaaay...??

Video Game Fan 2000

Here I am, at the building society with a fat bag of cash with a £ sign on it, which I swindled from my dead dad's charity. I'm trying to buy a new kitchen and I'm agravated by the person behind the counter with a name badge with extra information on it. I think she be one of them but I'm so anxious about the crime I'm in the process of commiting I can't work out what sort of one of them she is and we don't do eye contact in bedfordshire so I'm just standing here fuming with my ill gotten gains

Stigdu

@Kelvin from reading the article, it looks like it's the employee's decision to have one or not. Halifax aren't forcing it on them.

Being someone with a unisex name myself, I sometimes wish it was more 'masculine' so I don't have to clarify things with fuckwits on the phone. A conversation at work a couple of weeks ago literally went like this:

Me: "Good afternoon. Blah blah, Stacy speaking, how can I help you?"

Customer: "Oh hi, I had an email from Stacy. Is she available?"

Me: "That's me. How can I help?"

Customer: "oh, so she sent me an email and I'd like to pay a pro forma please. Is she there?"

Me: "Yes, that's me. I'm Stacy. I'm a man. I sent the email."

Customer: "Oh, OK." (carries on the conversation as if nothing had happened)

I wanted to headbutt a wall at that point.

madhair60

he/him/her/she/her/them/they/this/that/and the other!

i ask you, where does it end?! can you say "hell in a handbasket"...?

JamesTC

These days if you say you don't want a pronouns badge they arrest you and you get thrown in jail.

Video Game Fan 2000

disgraceful that Prince Andrew had all his medals removed except the pronoun badge

JamesTC

Got into a sitcom misadventure when I thought somebodies pronouns were Ha/Li/Fax. Turns out it was an old badge.

madhair60

LGBTQIA...OMGWTF??? save some letters for "the rest of us"!

PlanktonSideburns

Last day of pride month our work put a rainbow coloured cardboard border round one of the computers (not visible from the tills) and put bag of screwfix branded badges next to it

Yaaas queen

Buelligan

Kelvin

Quote from: Stigdu on July 02, 2022, 09:30:30 PM@Kelvin from reading the article, it looks like it's the employee's decision to have one or not. Halifax aren't forcing it on them.

Yeah, you're right, I skim-read the article before posting, but obviously missed that line.

Sebastian Cobb

Last time I worked somewhere where you needed a name-badge and you forgot your own (or were working at a different shop) you just grabbed some other cunts and let people call you that name. Unless it was one of the smaller shops where they kept bottles of vodka behind the microwave.

touchingcloth

Quote from: JamesTC on July 02, 2022, 09:34:07 PMThese days if you say you don't want a pronouns badge they arrest you and you get thrown in jail.

Erm, did I say that one of my pronouns was "you"?

JamesTC

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 02, 2022, 09:49:04 PMErm, did I say that one of my pronouns was "you"?

You is a youniversal pronoun.

All Surrogate

Armed Traffic Warden

Blumf

Well I, for one, am well and truly peaked.

Kankurette

idunnosomename

sellout building society with annoying adverts hope it fucking dies regardless of sensible policy regarding inclusive name badges

flotemysost

Quote from: Stigdu on July 02, 2022, 09:30:30 PMBeing someone with a unisex name myself, I sometimes wish it was more 'masculine' so I don't have to clarify things with fuckwits on the phone. A conversation at work a couple of weeks ago literally went like this:

Me: "Good afternoon. Blah blah, Stacy speaking, how can I help you?"

Customer: "Oh hi, I had an email from Stacy. Is she available?"

Me: "That's me. How can I help?"

Customer: "oh, so she sent me an email and I'd like to pay a pro forma please. Is she there?"

Me: "Yes, that's me. I'm Stacy. I'm a man. I sent the email."

Customer: "Oh, OK." (carries on the conversation as if nothing had happened)

I wanted to headbutt a wall at that point.

I don't think I've ever known a male Stacy, though my old manger's boyfriend was a Tracey.

I used to share an office with an Egyptian bloke whose name sounded, I suppose, on the femme side to Western ears, and I'd always get given post/phone calls/sandwiches etc. that were intended for him when he wasn't around (as I was a roughly foreign-looking femme-looking person in the same office, I guess).

I think that's another way in which sharing pronouns can be useful, if someone has a name that isn't culturally familiar. I can absolutely see the problems with making it compulsory, though, as Kelvin says.

Zero Gravitas

I always love it when you get to bust out the "I AM the (she/her/hers)." with an argumentative customer trying to escalate.

jenna appleseed

^ blimey, the third (or maybe the 4th) ever pronoun joke that's actually funny.

Armed Traffic Warden

Presumably the Queen (Gawdbleseerr) has a name badge saying:

Queen Elizabeth II
One/we/I

Which reads more like a Scotsman's description of a Picasso portrait. Amiright? Ba Dum Tsh?

jamiefairlie

Quote from: flotemysost on July 03, 2022, 12:18:34 AMI don't think I've ever known a male Stacy, though my old manger's boyfriend was a Tracey.

I used to share an office with an Egyptian bloke whose name sounded, I suppose, on the femme side to Western ears, and I'd always get given post/phone calls/sandwiches etc. that were intended for him when he wasn't around (as I was a roughly foreign-looking femme-looking person in the same office, I guess).

I think that's another way in which sharing pronouns can be useful, if someone has a name that isn't culturally familiar. I can absolutely see the problems with making it compulsory, though, as Kelvin says.

Stacy Keach or, as we say in Scotland, Stacy Shite.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on July 03, 2022, 12:28:19 AM

I always love it when you get to bust out the "I AM the (she/her/hers)." with an argumentative customer trying to escalate.

See it's a no-win situation, if I don't look at the badge I might misgender them but if I do look look at it I'll be accused of looking at their tits, harumph!

Stigdu

Quote from: jamiefairlie on July 03, 2022, 02:25:54 AMStacy Keach or, as we say in Scotland, Stacy Shite.

That's who I was named after.