Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:41:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

GC Rowling's Icky Bog Adventures, part 3: The Prisoners of Trans Cabal

Started by Mister Six, April 05, 2023, 10:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

And nobody, not even the evil kids, did any fucked up abusive shit with the slaves.

bgmnts

Why does a magic school need slaves? Even in a world where you can presumably have any material good or any service provided for you with the swish of a wand, there still needs to be slaves, just because that's how humans work.

Any other author, and I'd say that's social commentary.

idunnosomename

I only learnt last week that Dobby the House Elf was voiced by Toby Jones. I wish he'd just been played by Toby Jones. Just him, running about. Might watch the films then.

Anyway, Toby Jones also doomed to be memorialised as "Harry Potter actor", sigh

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: bgmnts on April 10, 2023, 10:23:49 PMWhy does a magic school need slaves?

the idiom Rowling was writing in was fables of people who know their place v those who do not

arguably actual boarding school books were less reactionary because they were all about breaking the rules to break into the tuck shop or whatever. in Rowlings world good is good and bad is a bad (like with Dahl and Lewis and many others) - quintessential spark of boarding school stories was about bending the rules to have jolly larks and japes.

Video Game Fan 2000

if J K Rowling wrote Dads Army
if J K Rowling wrote Only Fools and Horses
if J K Rowling wrote Hi De Di

Captain Z

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on April 09, 2023, 04:22:01 PMThe Guardian has an article of what fans want from the new TV series (which there seems to be no detail about but that won't stop anyone talking about it). It indicates why the TV series is almost certainly doomed. Lots of calls for things to be be changed, like more diversity and providing more backstory, and lots of calls for it to be exactly like the books. Lots of people with incredibly petty things they want corrected (make Ron less of an idiot, include Peeves, more Ginny being awesome). And calls for every trivial detail to be included, an episode a chapter. No idea how the series per book will work when Order of the Phoenix is 3 times as long as Philosopher's Stone, either.

Aand also, you should win things by watching!

Zero Gravitas

Sounds like the fan discussion after the announcement of any adaptation ever.

Urinal Cake

Harry Potter fans need to feel raw disappointment like Star Wars fans. Please let this be shit.

Kankurette

When the treatment of servants in the Chalet School books, which were written between the 1920s and 1960s, is better than the treatment of the house elves, that's...quite an achievement. At least the girls were expected to be respectful to Karen the cook, Marie the original maid and her gazillion relatives, etc.

superthunderstingcar

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on April 11, 2023, 12:04:40 AMif J K Rowling wrote Dads Army
"Your name will also go on ze list. What is it?"
"Don't tell him, Strike!"

BritishHobo

Daniel Radcliffe has attracted more ire because he's said we should trust children to tell us who they are, and adults shutting that down can be condescending. Lots and lots of rage at this.

One person made the most desperate attempt to smear him as a paedophile/abuser, saying that he ingratiated himself with kids via the Harry Potter films, and is now encouraging them to etc etc. He was about eight years old!

Cunts watching the little baby-faced Radcliffe in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, apoplectic, snarling "I know what you're up to, you little shit"

Urinal Cake

If only parents could place their trust in a Sorting Hat for gender.

idunnosomename

Yes put your childs head in the anus of Leslie Phillips and he will assign them to boy, girl, sporty or Hitler.

wrec

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on April 11, 2023, 12:04:40 AMif J K Rowling wrote Only Fools and Horses

Rodney you groomer*

*Doesn't really work because I don't think Del ever said exactly that and JK doesn't say groomer

Captain Z

"Think we're onto a winner here, Trig! In court, Del claimed the conversation in which he'd said he wanted to 'play it nice and cool son' was just 'bravado'. #Plonker"

pk1yen

Not sure if this is the right thread - a new one might be better, but I just found this American Twitter account that spends half its time advertising a "Celtic tv series" about Ireland, and the other half tweeting mad terf stuff about JK Rowling and an "old testament religion that controls the media"

https://twitter.com/Celtic_Films

https://www.celtic-films.com/

Here are some choice excerpts, scrolling down is like an insane example of the terf -> nazi treadmill:

bgmnts

The only law I'm aware of around the old testament time was Hammurabi's.

Why Celtic TV and not Gaelic TV? 

Definitely seems a tad mental.

Shaxberd

You found out my plan, random Twitter guy! Me and everyone else here are 200-year-old former Soviet government officials, and our first step in restoring Comrade Stalin's resurrected corpse as ruler of the world is telling a children's author to fuck off on social media. Bwahahaha!

buttgammon

Americans who draw on entirely fictitious views of Irish history and culture are one of the worst groups of people there is. I bet that account plugs the racist Irish slaves conspiracy theory too (and I guarantee they don't know anything about Brehon law).

Cerys

'Brehon' backwards is 'noherb'.  I feel this is somehow relevant.

Kankurette

Oh, blaming Jews for trans people. How original. Jews were purged by Stalin btw. There's a reason why so many of them fled to Israel or the US: because Stalin fucking hated Jews.

American Celtaboos are weird as fuck. Calling Scottish people Scotch, acting like only England was involved in the British Empire and that Britain = England, and being obsessed with what clan they're in. Not one Scottish person I've met in real life gives a gnat's bollock about clans.

bgmnts

What's funny about identifying as a Celt is that obviously we don't really know what is considered a Celt. The definition of what it meant or means to be a Celt changed over time and it's open to interpretation.

Bit like gender to a degree?

Kankurette

Enya considers rewrite.

AyeForScotland gets loads of these people. He's not a fan. Also, slight tangent, saying you want Brits to suffer because we're TERF Island - which I've seen from Americans on Tumblr and Reddit - is a fucking horrible thing to say. What about the trans people who live here? And they can't just run off to Canada or wherever.

superthunderstingcar

Americans should consider putting their own house in order before they start calling other countries "Terf Island."

buttgammon

Quote from: bgmnts on April 12, 2023, 07:16:59 PMWhat's funny about identifying as a Celt is that obviously we don't really know what is considered a Celt. The definition of what it meant or means to be a Celt changed over time and it's open to interpretation.

Bit like gender to a degree?

Yes, it's a completely spurious term, lost in a morass of nonsense historiography and Victorian pseudoscience. At heart, it only makes sense when we're referring to the Celtic languages. I've lived in Wales or Ireland for almost all of my life and have hardly heard anyone talk about this stuff, but right-wing Americans love it.

Ireland is a very flawed and badly governed country but people are overwhelmingly progressive - that's why they voted to allow same gender marriage and decriminalise abortion. These American fascists would hate it here and I wish they'd just leave us alone, because they're not welcome.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: superthunderstingcar on April 12, 2023, 07:32:57 PMAmericans should consider putting their own house in order before they start calling other countries "Terf Island."
Americans get blamed so much so it must feel good to blame the mother country once in a while.

bgmnts

Quote from: buttgammon on April 12, 2023, 07:34:27 PMYes, it's a completely spurious term, lost in a morass of nonsense historiography and Victorian pseudoscience. At heart, it only makes sense when we're referring to the Celtic languages. I've lived in Wales or Ireland for almost all of my life and have hardly heard anyone talk about this stuff, but right-wing Americans love it.

Once had an Irish lady working the bar at a pub in NYC who said we were Celtic cousins, but I'll put that down to being in America for a while.

Midas

Remember taking the piss out of that American loon on here a while ago. Nice to see that an episode of the "Celtics" series has finally been made and it's fucking SHITE

bgmnts

Quote from: Midas on April 12, 2023, 08:17:10 PMRemember taking the piss out of that American loon on here a while ago. Nice to see that an episode of the "Celtics" series has finally been made and it's fucking SHITE

See I love the mystique of Celtic culture and I do wish it were up there in fiction with the every other culture in Europe's history. They seem to have a pantheon and obviously a lot of their Roman overlords' Greek culture was assimilated too, so it's familiar but still different.

A good example of this is the seeming invocation to a potential God named Ocelus, who is only transcribed in the roman town of Caerwent, and randomly up in Carlisle. So this is a random deity worshipped in ancient Briton, probably even localised to the Silure tribe round my way, that is sort of associated with Mars but fuck knows.

I find the culture fascinating and would love to see stuff being explored by clever creative people, not whoever these divs are.