Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:09:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cambridge meet, April 20th, Cambridge Blue, 2pm

Started by madhair60, January 24, 2024, 04:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

all details subject to change. well actually just the date. i'm putting the 20th of April up as a starting point. register interest in coming to Cambridge's best pub and spending an afternoon, evening and maybe morning ;) with good ol' madhair.

The Mollusk

On 4/20? Does that pub allow the blazing of fat zoots packed with sticky dank herb on their premises? Because if not I don't think I'll be able to make it.

gilbertharding

Quote from: madhair60 on January 24, 2024, 04:04:32 PMall details subject to change. well actually just the date. i'm putting the 20th of April up as a starting point. register interest in coming to Cambridge's best pub and spending an afternoon, evening and maybe morning ;) with good ol' madhair.

Went in there once. *sniff*

Flying Pig shut, isn't it?

madhair60

gilbertharding

Quote from: madhair60 on January 24, 2024, 06:01:31 PMit is, yeah. :( days are gone.

Shame.

Sorry I can't make it, and not just because it's The Cambridge Blue.

madhair60

Stoneage Dinosaurs

madhair60

madhair60

shoulders

I don't appear to be picking grapes at a homestay in the Rhodope mountains 🇧🇬 that weekend, but it is a busy time of year, so down as 🟡 Tentative 🟡

lauraxsynthesis

Yes, Madhair has chosen Hitler's birthdate to gather us together for unknown purposes.

I rang to check if they're dog friendly and me and Rolo will probably come and all.

Pink Gregory

I wonder if I'll ever make it east of London in my lifetime, it actually seems unlikely

madhair60

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on January 24, 2024, 07:55:16 PMYes, Madhair has chosen Hitler's birthdate to gather us together for unknown purposes.

I rang to check if they're dog friendly and me and Rolo will probably come and all.

that's handy as i will be bringing my fully automated dog smashing machine.

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: madhair60 on January 25, 2024, 10:41:16 AMthat's handy as i will be bringing my fully automated dog smashing machine.

Suck your mum

gilbertharding

Quote from: madhair60 on January 24, 2024, 06:07:18 PMit's a good pub my man*

*?

No, sorry - I'm sure you're right. I'm just prejudiced against it for reasons I can't even explain to myself. Didn't even make sense in 1994. Put it like this - I doubt I'd bump into any members of the Acorn Computer's Caving Club in there if I went there now.

(Best pubs in Cambridge = The Pig, the Radegund, The Champion, The Tram Depot, The Live and Let Live, the Empress, the Free Press...)

madhair60

the fucking Tram Depot? jaysis christ. well, each to their own, i suppose...????

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 25, 2024, 11:45:46 AMNo, sorry - I'm sure you're right. I'm just prejudiced against it for reasons I can't even explain to myself. Didn't even make sense in 1994. Put it like this - I doubt I'd bump into any members of the Acorn Computer's Caving Club in there if I went there now.

(Best pubs in Cambridge = The Pig, the Radegund, The Champion, The Tram Depot, The Live and Let Live, the Empress, the Free Press...)

you can't put comments like this is in without giving more details now

gilbertharding

Quote from: madhair60 on January 25, 2024, 11:48:26 AMthe fucking Tram Depot? jaysis christ. well, each to their own, i suppose...????

I was younger then, and had different criteria for judging a pub, obviously - but it seemed to have OK vibes, plenty of space, and it was the only place around that served Budvar on tap. OK, I did get barred once, and we gave the landlord the nickname Tram Despot...

Look - I'm sorry to criticise the Blue - it's my problem, and I'm not even going to this meet-up. As you were.

Noodle Lizard

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I am a trve cambridgean and can confirm that the only proper good pub is the regal (spoons). Specifically on dancefloor night

MojoJojo

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 25, 2024, 11:45:46 AM(Best pubs in Cambridge = The Pig, the Radegund, The Champion, The Tram Depot, The Live and Let Live, the Empress, the Free Press...)

You'll be delighted to hear that after being closed since before the pandemic, The Radegund will soon be reopening as "TheRad".

gilbertharding

Quote from: MojoJojo on January 26, 2024, 10:36:58 AMYou'll be delighted to hear that after being closed since before the pandemic, The Radegund will soon be reopening as "TheRad".

Frankly, unless I can go there in 1993, after a Saturday afternoon record shopping, I can't see myself bothering at all.

Paul Calf

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 25, 2024, 05:12:37 PMI was younger then, and had different criteria for judging a pub, obviously - but it seemed to have OK vibes, plenty of space, and it was the only place around that served Budvar on tap. OK, I did get barred once, and we gave the landlord the nickname Tram Despot...

Look - I'm sorry to criticise the Blue - it's my problem, and I'm not even going to this meet-up. As you were.

I'm not coming either so treat my opinion with the lashings of contempt that it heartily deserves, but I've just had a look at a photo of it and I'd hesitate to go into a pub so lavishly assaulted with massive Union Flags. Other than that, it looks OK to me.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on January 25, 2024, 11:50:21 AMyou can't put comments like this is in without giving more details now

It really isn't that exciting. I once went on a weekend pot-holing with the Acorn Computer Caving Club, through a friend who was very into caving and computers.

Shortly after that I accidentally spent an *excruciating* evening in The Blue with a lady caver who'd decided I needed befriending, when I'd already decided I didn't.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Paul Calf on January 26, 2024, 11:21:45 AMI'm not coming either so treat my opinion with the lashings of contempt that it heartily deserves, but I've just had a look at a photo of it and I'd hesitate to go into a pub so lavishly assaulted with massive Union Flags. Other than that, it looks OK to me.

In my day it had a distinctly Whole Foods vibe. As you can tell from my other Cambridge Pubs posts, I am aware that times change.

Look, I genuinely wish everyone who goes to this meet-up well. I'm sure everyone will have a terrific time in a great pub.

shoulders

Quote from: Paul Calf on January 26, 2024, 11:21:45 AMI'd hesitate to go into a pub so lavishly assaulted with massive Union Flags. Other than that, it looks OK to me.

Yes it's a splendid pub and definitely not that type of place. Indeed I have personally seen the squat powerhouse of an owner wrestle a middle aged woman in efforts to extract her drunk racist ass from the establishment.

lauraxsynthesis

Bumping this in case it's still on, @madhair60 ?

I'll be chasing the rats out of my Honda to drive up if anyone wants a lift from London.

flotemysost

I'd be tempted, but as this is Hitler's the Queen's my birthday weekend I'll prob be expected to be having fun or something.

iamcoop