Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:50:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

British Business Death List 2024

Started by Blue Jam, February 11, 2024, 10:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Kankurette

I spent many a happy Saturday trying out the perfume samples at the big one in Brighton. Vanilla and Strawberry were my favourites. Loved their bath pearls too.

They were doomed once they went down the MLM route.

Blue Jam

Loved the mandarin soap. Never used it, it just used to sit there looking pretty and making the bathroom smell nice. Their Blue Corn Scrub Mask was an essential of mine back when my skin was younger and oilier. Was tempted to pop down and get some more while I can but it looks like they discontinued it years ago and pissed off a lot of loyal customers. It smelled amazing too (not of corn):

Used to love The Body Shop in the 90's. Don't think I've bought anything there for the past two decades though.

Norton Canes

Blue Jam

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 11, 2024, 11:10:25 AMUh oh! Better stock up on Activist

Oh gawd, the TERFs are gonna love this news...

'member Dewberry? The smell of the 90's until CK One came along.

Norton Canes

Blue Jam

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 11, 2024, 11:26:14 AMWhat? What have I done?!

Nowt:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/body-shop-jk-rowling-transgender-row-twitter-a4465596.html

Some of them were also kicking off about The Body Shop naming a fragrance "Activist", thinking it must be a TRA thing when it's actually been around for decades.

dontpaintyourteeth

A coworker exclusively uses Body Shop stuff. She'll be devastated. Not a joke post or anything here just a dull comment I'm afraid.

Dex Sawash

had these in malls in merkin in 2000s- the scent + heat of excess halogen lighting would cause a swoon

thenoise

Lush > Body Shop

Neither are terribly welcoming for single men, which is a pity because most of their scents are pretty appealing and a good pampering is gender blind innit?

Kankurette

I hate Lush because it makes me want to puke. The smell is too strong.

The TERFs are celebrating, if Prosecco Stormfront is anything to go by. Tbh I can't be too happy about job losses, same with Pitchfork closing down. I think quite a lot of customers were angry at their decision to sell to L'Oreal as well.

BlodwynPig

Bath & Body Works waves from across the pond, smirk across it's haggard face.

idunnosomename

there should be some sort of UN resolution to ban Lush

BlodwynPig

Pissed myself in a Lush once. I noted customers coming in with a pleasantly surprised look on their faces, nodding at each other, then slapping each other on the back, hugging, jumping up and down before descending into an orgy of hysterical joy.

Senior Baiano

I heard the body shop is closing down because of woke

Kankurette

Are Lush pro-BDS? I know they got involved in the I/P debate but I can't remember which side they're on.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Kankurette on February 11, 2024, 12:30:37 PMI hate Lush because it makes me want to puke. The smell is too strong.

One of their deodorants gave me a really nasty rash, skin turning dark and peeling off. I read the online reviews and saw a lot of people reporting the exact same problem, but adding "it's probably just me though, I don't want to put other people off". Lush ended up having to pull the product anyway. Some insane brand loyalty there.

I always wonder if the staff at Lush are going to end up with lung problems. I could never spend more than a few minutes in one of their shops. Also their campaign comparing animal testing to sexual assault was tasteless so fuck 'em.

Quote from: Kankurette on February 11, 2024, 12:30:37 PMI think quite a lot of customers were angry at [Anita Roddick's] decision to sell to L'Oreal as well.

I don't know how the whole cruelty-free beauty thing works as a marketing ploy in the UK when animal testing on cosmetics and household products was banned by the EU decades ago, and the import and sale of such products was also banned. A shower cream from Superdrug will be just as ethical as one from Lush, and a fraction of the cost.

The big issue with animal testing now is China, where it's still mandatory to test cosmetics on animals. I believe that's why L'Oréal and other companies are still under fire, because they produce separate ranges exclusively for the (huge and lucrative) Chinese market and which couldn't be legally sold here.

Kankurette

A girl I knew in high school worked there and I always wondered how she coped. I guess she got used to the smell.

Lush are also hated by TERFs because they either sold binders or signposted trans men to places where they could get them, and of course TERFs shat the bed about it.

idunnosomename

Some poor rabbit, cursed for its whole life to honk like a Lush bath bomb

thenoise

It smells of soap ffs, imagine working in a fishmonger. Or a Cex for that matter.

Blue Jam

For me it's not so much the smell, but more the sense that I'm filling my lungs with airborne bath bomb powder.

Jasha

Quote from: thenoise on February 11, 2024, 01:42:55 PMIt smells of soap ffs, imagine working in a fishmonger. Or a Cex for that matter.

Ideally they'd be next door to each other on the high street and cancel each other out

dissolute ocelot

Must admit I thought all the Body Shops had closed years ago. I can't recall seeing one for years but they are apparently quite common, just a lot more discreet than Lush. It was revolutionary when it started, but now people either want to spend insane amounts of money in Space NK, or go to Superdrug.

hamfist

Lush kicks off my asthma so grave it is

Blue Jam

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on February 12, 2024, 01:55:14 PMMust admit I thought all the Body Shops had closed years ago. I can't recall seeing one for years but they are apparently quite common, just a lot more discreet than Lush. It was revolutionary when it started, but now people either want to spend insane amounts of money in Space NK, or go to Superdrug.

As with all business sectors it's the mid-range businesses which struggle when times are hard. The squeezed middles take their business to the cheaper options while the wealthy peeps who aren't so affected by recessions just keep on buying luxury goods as before. The margins are also generally just higher at the luxury and budget ends of a market, it's the same with restaurants, housing etc.

How long have Lush got do we reckon? I sure as hell won't miss them.

Senior Baiano

Where the fuck am I going to buy bodies now

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 12, 2024, 03:48:35 PMHow long have Lush got do we reckon? I sure as hell won't miss them.

I assume the Post Office won't carry most of what Lush sells, preventing much in the way of a mail-order business. Although some very nice-smelling Evri couriers?

Lush shops always seem like hell on earth (often surprisingly crowded as well as stinky and garish), but if you like to sniff things, you can't do that on Amazon. And most other shops, even Asda, will refuse to stink like that.

sovietrussia

My ex loved Lush bath bombs so I have had well beyond the HSE-recommended exposure to their miasmatic shops.  Aside from chronic overcrowding as mentioned above, the main source of anxiety for me was being approached every few seconds by a succession of perky floorwalkers.

Add me to those who assumed that Body Shop closed down years ago, or at least exist only in outlet villages.

beanheadmcginty

When I was a kid I thought the Body Shop products in our bathroom were for the exclusive use of my dad because the logo represented his bald-on-top-hair-round-the-sides head.