Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:37:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

British Business Death List 2024

Started by Blue Jam, February 11, 2024, 10:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Des Wigwam

Quote from: thr0b on February 13, 2024, 01:45:21 PMBody Shop and Yodel in one day.

First post asking: "Yodel still exists?!"

I thought they were at least now called Evri.

Anyone else have the Animals in Danger soaps when they were a kid?

You could get them separately too, with matching sponges. I remember the polar bear smelled of coconut.

Where are feckless husbands going to buy stocking-filler smellies now?

Blue Jam

Quote from: Des Wigwam on February 13, 2024, 01:57:09 PMFirst post asking: "Yodel still exists?!"

I thought they were at least now called Evri.

Nah, that's Hermes who were renamed Evri in the hope customers wouldn't realise it was the same crappy unreliable parcel company. Yodel was originally HDNL (Home Delivery Network Ltd) and somehow even worse than Hermes. The HDNL rebrand came with an improvement in service but I'm wondering if Evri being cheaper was the end for them.

I remember the days when I'd order something from eBay and get a despatch confirmation about "Your HDNL delivery" and my heart would sink. I used to avoid any sellers or retailers using them but then Hermes turned out to be almost as bad and started getting ubiquitous.

There's a real gap in the market for a slightly more expensive but actually fucking reliable parcel service.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on February 13, 2024, 02:04:56 PMAnyone else have the Animals in Danger soaps when they were a kid?

You could get them separately too, with matching sponges. I remember the polar bear smelled of coconut.
yes I very much remembered the blue whale one, and the other ones are familar now you post the pic. I think it lasted the longest.

Seems rather cruel they come in a special box when they will just whittle down to nothing.

Body Shop also did a green block of mouldable soap

Psybro

This might be the mind playing tricks but that pink elephant pamphlet has awakened a memory and I wanna say the polar bear lasted ages because I was being really careful not to use the sharper edges around the ears and feet.

mippy

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 11, 2024, 11:10:25 AMUh oh! Better stock up on Activist

Activist got choppes years ago, which is annoying as I used to get it for Mr M for Christmas to prevent him having to go into actual shops.

Norton Canes

What? It was still in our branch last time I looked, which can't have been more than a couple of months ago (I pop in every now and again to keep Mrs Canes in body butter). Losing Activist would be a tragedy - it's the one scent that reminds me of going out and doing nightclubs and stuff.

It's still on the website (albeit in a redesigned bottle). Shit! Twenty two quid! That's gone up!

Blue Jam

I'm just amazed that they still do White Musk. Who wants to smell like White Musk in 2024?

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 13, 2024, 10:50:05 PMI'm just amazed that they still do White Musk. Who wants to smell like White Musk in 2024?

mippy

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 13, 2024, 10:41:08 PMWhat? It was still in our branch last time I looked, which can't have been more than a couple of months ago (I pop in every now and again to keep Mrs Canes in body butter). Losing Activist would be a tragedy - it's the one scent that reminds me of going out and doing nightclubs and stuff.

It's still on the website (albeit in a redesigned bottle). Shit! Twenty two quid! That's gone up!

Maybe it's just the deodorant, then?

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 11, 2024, 11:13:04 AM'member Dewberry? The smell of the 90's until CK One came along.

We got a version from the posh knockoff shop round the corner for Mrs F last Christmas. Very evocative.

Was there a toiletries thread last year somewhere on here?

Loving the bald head/logo memory.

gabrielconroy

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 11, 2024, 01:01:56 PMI don't know how the whole cruelty-free beauty thing works as a marketing ploy in the UK when animal testing on cosmetics and household products was banned by the EU decades ago, and the import and sale of such products was also banned. A shower cream from Superdrug will be just as ethical as one from Lush, and a fraction of the cost.

According to an Ethical Consumer report there are various ways around these restrictions and most of the high street brands fail on multiple levels from fair trade to animal testing and forever chemicals. I actually have the copy with me, can post it later on.

Re Lush I met with an Indonesian supplier of wild harvested essential oils who said they basically are all talk and tried to strong arm them into accepting half the market rate for their products, so they're not all that great by this account.

Blue Jam

Ted Baker going under, though a hug is probably the last thing the staff want:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68580956

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 20, 2024, 09:20:44 AMTed Baker going under, though a hug is probably the last thing the staff want:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68580956

They've had a lot of troubles. As well as the boss being handsy, a few years ago they screwed up their accounting and overstated the value of stock by £58m million, about 35%. Plus the usual revolving ownership that seems almost inevitable in modern retail.