Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:00:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hot notables in YOUR area

Started by bgmnts, March 08, 2024, 11:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Underturd

Quote from: Blumf on March 08, 2024, 03:13:09 PMApparently, Lenny Henry isn't notable, but Mark Speight is?

They're getting confused between notable and dead.

Dex Sawash

In my area, not hotables morelike

The Culture Bunker

For where I live these days, it's Holliday Grainger, who is an actress, it seems.

From where I grew up, it's a rugby player, Lee Mossop, who used to play for Wigan. However, there's a lad (Kyle Amor) who played for St Helens for a few years who lived in the house behind ours. Not sure why he's lower down whatever ranking system used.

I'm between Shirley Bassey and two rugby players, as the actor said to the bishop.

Why can I never, ever get things like this to work?

Underturd

JesusAndYourBush

I can't speak for xxxx xxx x xxx, but for me...on my phone I get an image of the sun with weird purple arrays of shit around it.
I can rotate to view the weird arrays of purple shit from different angles.

On my desktop the Sun turns into the Earth, but I can't do anything with it.

Underturd

On my phone I get the Earth and I can zoom in in the usual way and as you zoom in you get close enough for the names to come up. Does that help at all?

Camp Tramp

Not sure how Lindsey Dawn Mackenzie managed to be notable, but Edward Woodward isn't.

Goldentony

oh my god I knew it'd be john lennon! fuck off!!!

Quote from: Underturd on March 08, 2024, 05:12:49 PMOn my phone I get the Earth and I can zoom in in the usual way and as you zoom in you get close enough for the names to come up. Does that help at all?
I get the earth with a load of random names dotted about but I can only zoom in so far - the only names over Britain are Adam Smith and Winston Churchill.  Anyway, it's no biggie, thanks for trying but I'm resigned to the fact that THESE SORT OF FUCKING THINGS JUST NEVER WORK FOR ME.

(And I was born just round the corner from John Craven for the record).

Fambo Number Mive

I can zoom in when I connect a mouse.

Adam Smith has a lot to answer for, all the free market bullshit.

imitationleather

thenoise

Quote from: Camp Tramp on March 08, 2024, 05:31:30 PMNot sure how Lindsey Dawn Mackenzie managed to be notable, but Edward Woodward isn't.

I can think of a couple of reasons.

elliszeroed

Billie Piper but no Matt Fiddes?

Terence Bowl

According to this thing the most notable Australian is a tie between Kylie Minogue and Julian Assange.

Loads of relative non-entities pop up in Glasgow but no Angus or Malcolm Young.

Pele is the second most notable person in South America after Che Guevara but no Diego Maradona. Santa Fe born physician and naturalist Esteban Maradona does get a mention but is located in Antarctica along with New York born American politician William Lounsbery and German photographer Franz Krahmer who unlike the other two may actually have been to Antarctica to take some photos.

Shite.

Blinder Data

most famous person where I live is apparently a Scottish politician who almost nobody has heard of

problem with this thing is the focus on place of birth. two from my home town were born there but left when they were kids, so how local are they really? Glasgow's mark knopfler is the perfect example because he is so obviously associated with NE England

still, through this I found out I might have once been in the vicinity of Ben Mee on as a kid, so that's nice

BJBMK2

Just picturing a gigantic caption towering over my house reading "Gary Neville"

Jerrykeshton

No one directly where I live, but snooker player Ronnie O'Sullivan is about a mile away

Senior Baiano

Probably some music hall cunt nobody's fucking heard of

Senior Baiano

Quote from: thenoise on March 08, 2024, 07:03:53 PMI can think of a couple of reasons.

You refer of course to her bosom

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

After he retired, the last hangman in England, Albert Pierrepoint, owned a pub that's about five minutes walk up the road from me. It's an Indian restaurant now, but sadly they didn't cash in on the building's notoriety by putting nooses everywhere, or making the staff wear those black death masks.

steve98

I'm surrounded by low-grade celebs: Eddi Reader(Jutty-jawed Folk-singer), Susan Calman(Award-winning* Comic), Frankie Boyle(Comic) and Jim Kerr (Simple-Minded Singer). I've never met any of them.

*A guess my weight cabbage(Merrylee Allotments)

Ferris

Eliot Page and Sid "the kid" Crosby. My wife went to school with both of them, what do I win?

It reckons the most notable person born in Brighton and Hove is Aubrey Beardsley, which isn't a bad shout (certainly he's quite celebrated here) and quite impressive for him seeing as he only lived to 25. The most notable people in smaller areas of the city are Joseph Cotterill (cricketer), Karen Pickering (swimmer), Edward Carpenter (poet and academic) and John Kipling (son of Rudyard Kipling), all of whom I'm at best vaguely aware of. Lots of better-known people have strong local associations but maybe they weren't born here.

A related thing I've previously found quite interesting is to compare the lists of notable people in the Wikipedia articles about a place in different languages, to see who's considered most notable in different language communities. These lists tend to include people who have lived there at some point, not just htose born there. Some examples for Brighton (not Brighton and Hove because in many languages the Brighton and Hove article is less developed):

Long boring list
  • English: Lily Agg, ArrDee, Michael Ashburner, Bald and Bankrupt, Zoe Ball, Brian Behan, Nick Berry, Cate Blanchett, Laurence Richard, Raymond Briggs, Dora Bryan, Nick Cave, Gwendoline Christie, Steve Coogan, Norman Cook, Robin Cousins, Luke Cresswell, Alfie Deyes, Charles Dickens, Maude Dickinson, Lewis Dunk, ES Elliott, Chris Eubank, Anubis Finch, David Gilmour, William Gold, Dave Greenfield, Cynak Harris, Elliot Hasler, Ben Hawes, Jacksepticeye, Peter James, Mike Kerr, KickThePj, Rudyard Kipling, Marzia Kjellberg, Joan Lazzarani, Joshua Le Gallienne, Charles Leggett, Emma Lomax, Garnt Meneetapho, James Marriott, Heather MIlls, David Pearce, PewDiePie, The Prince Regent/George IV, Philip Proudfoot, Ren, Clara Ross, Ben Thatcher, Frank Thewlis, TommyInnit, Doreen Valiente, Johnny Wakelin, David Walliams, Joe Wilkinson, Zoella. (A sickening number of these are YouTubers and other internet personalities, maybe because the have active fanbases who like to add them to not-very-well-maintained lists like this).
  • Welsh: Eleanor Vere Boyle, Frederick Courtenay Morgan, Charles Hanbury-Tracy, Emily Gravett, Samantha Womack, Katie Price, Stephanie Parker. (No intersection with the English list).
  • German: Kate Duchéne, Andy Field, David Gilmour, Matt Haig, Jacksepticeye, Marzia Kjellberg, Gary Moore, PewDiePie, Liv Pichon, Zoella, Herman Rarebell, Michael Schenker. (Plus a long list of people born in Brighton that I can't be arsed to copy).
  • Polish: Dora Bryan, Nick Cave, Tasie Dhanraj, Lewis Uunk, Peter James, Norman Cook, Wilbur Soot.
  • Arabic: Sebastian Shaw, Arnold Ruge, Herbert Spencer, Philip Reeve, Katie Price, Conor Maynard, Edward Bransfield, Thomas Addison, Jack Clayton, Henry Allingham, Caitlin Moran.
  • Chinese: PewDiePie, Jacksepticeye, TommyInnit, Alfie Deyes. (All YouTubers).
  • Japanese: Aubrey Beardsley, Martin Ryle, John Hathaway, Norman Cook.
[close]

No great insights, particularly given how arbitrary all the lists are, but I find it interesting how little overlap there is between a lof of them. I'm not sure if the most notable people map takes anything language-specific into account but if so it would be interesting to let you select the language.

McFlymo

I got Bear Grylls near me, but Wiki says he was born in London (not near me).

salr

My corner of kent has a playwright and a couple of notable cricketers from the surrounding villages who I hadn't heard of.

I'm 99% sure Shaun Williamson a.k.a. Barry off of Eastenders is from my town, but he's not on the map.

Bentpitch