Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:06:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Trying to get a fucking rental in fucking Cambridge

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, March 13, 2024, 06:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Woohoo! Everywhere is either skull fuckingly extortionate or a house share or both! Probably just go for a house share in the end, how bad can it be? (Please quote the above in my Sad News thread after I've been fucked up by an axe criminal or barbecued in an e-bike fire.)

Been to two viewings so far. Thinking I may have been a bit too picky in turning down the only affordable bedsit in a decent area I've found. Oooh mr snowflake millennial thinks he's too good to live somewhere where he can't have a freezer or tumble drier or a bed that's longer than him? What else does he want, a cunting infinity pool? Live in your flaky box next to the communal concrete square and fuck the fuck off.
Wondering now if I should have followed the sage advice of the italic text there now, because everything about renting that I've seen suggests that when I actually start lowering my expectations and applying for places I'm going to be faced with a tidal wave of rejections.

Anyone else looking to get a rental living place or already in one? Please share stories about everything being shit here.

shiftwork2

Objectively the worst cathedral city in East Anglia at London prices.  No good restaurants and three or four good pubs.  Packed full of University melts.  I forbid you.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: shiftwork2 on March 13, 2024, 08:45:53 PMObjectively the worst cathedral city in East Anglia at London prices.  No good restaurants and three or four good pubs.  Packed full of University melts.  I forbid you.

Currently my options are
-The Tory retiree wonderland of Saffron Walden where there is absolutely fuck all going on and the train station is up a hill
-Some other small town where I'd be spending more on a season ticket than i'd be saving in rent
-Cambridge
-Learn to drive

So as you can see, gotta be Cambridge

idunnosomename

Quote from: shiftwork2 on March 13, 2024, 08:45:53 PMObjectively the worst cathedral city in East Anglia at London prices.  No good restaurants and three or four good pubs.  Packed full of University melts.  I forbid you.
there isnt a cathedral in cambridge, not even a catholic one. ely is its own city. take that objectivity!!!

Vodkafone

Have you considered living somewhere that isn't a ghastly fenland?

shiftwork2

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 13, 2024, 09:32:06 PMthere isnt a cathedral in cambridge, not even a catholic one. ely is its own city. take that objectivity!!!

Is that right?  Fillets.  Then why is it more self-satisfied than an expat who posts on CaB for 8h a day.

shoulders

I heard Britain's full, so you could leave and try maybe Iran

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: shoulders on March 13, 2024, 10:24:49 PMI heard Britain's full, so you could leave and try maybe Iran

Never heard of it, is it near a big tesco?

Goldentony

I thought Oxford was the real one and Cambridge was like it's Runcorn

shoulders

madhair60

Quote from: Stoneage Dinosaurs on March 13, 2024, 06:49:39 PMWoohoo! Everywhere is either skull fuckingly extortionate or a house share or both! Probably just go for a house share in the end, how bad can it be? (Please quote the above in my Sad News thread after I've been fucked up by an axe criminal or barbecued in an e-bike fire.)

Been to two viewings so far. Thinking I may have been a bit too picky in turning down the only affordable bedsit in a decent area I've found. Oooh mr snowflake millennial thinks he's too good to live somewhere where he can't have a freezer or tumble drier or a bed that's longer than him? What else does he want, a cunting infinity pool? Live in your flaky box next to the communal concrete square and fuck the fuck off.
Wondering now if I should have followed the sage advice of the italic text there now, because everything about renting that I've seen suggests that when I actually start lowering my expectations and applying for places I'm going to be faced with a tidal wave of rejections.

Anyone else looking to get a rental living place or already in one? Please share stories about everything being shit here.

would you like to live together with me, madhair

Quote from: Stoneage Dinosaurs on March 13, 2024, 09:27:40 PMCurrently my options are
-The Tory retiree wonderland of Saffron Walden where there is absolutely fuck all going on and the train station is up a hill
-Some other small town where I'd be spending more on a season ticket than i'd be saving in rent
-Cambridge
-Learn to drive

So as you can see, gotta be Cambridge
Linton? They have a travel tavern at least!

Cambridge is lovely. Being flat, it doesn't rain as much there as most of the rest of the drizzly country. When I lived there, there were plenty of nice pubs, good music scene, nice international young crowd, you can get around by bike, 45 mins from London on the train (for "escape" purposes). I liked it. Though I still left in the end.

DrGreggles

Brian Freeze

Quote from: madhair60 on March 13, 2024, 10:39:28 PMwould you like to live together with me, madhair

I will get you both a lovely house warming present if this happens.

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on March 13, 2024, 11:18:43 PMTry Oxford instead.

Nah. I lived there for a year too. You'd imagine it'd be the same kind of vibe, but it's nothing like Cambridge. You virtually choke on the stench of posh Tories stinking up the place.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Brian Freeze on March 14, 2024, 09:28:24 AMI will get you both a lovely house warming present if this happens.

a barrel of napalm

Hank_Kingsley

If you end up renting the flat on Mill Road that's behind the butchers - your kitchen ceiling may well cave in but (unless they've radically refurbished the place) you have the power to switch off the electricity of your upstairs neighbours which is a laugh. Also, you will have rats coming into your bedroom to die.

Rolf Lundgren

Wages for jobs in Cambridge are usually abysmal as well. Must be one of the biggest gaps between cost of houses and average wage in the UK.

Ely is a nice alternative except it's further away than you think and not much is happening there. Forget I said that actually.

gilbertharding

I've no idea about the economics of this, but have you considered St Ives and commuting using the guided busway?

Alternatively, there's always The Arbury. Areas of towns which have the definite article are always lovely, I find. The Oxmoor was the local one where I grew up.

In my day, the People's Republic of Mill Road (the other side of the bridge) was the place to go for cheap bedsits, but I expect it's all changed now. Or 'New Chesterton' which isn't The Arbury honestly.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 14, 2024, 04:22:31 PMI've no idea about the economics of this, but have you considered St Ives and commuting using the guided busway?

Alternatively, there's always The Arbury. Areas of towns which have the definite article are always lovely, I find. The Oxmoor was the local one where I grew up.

In my day, the People's Republic of Mill Road (the other side of the bridge) was the place to go for cheap bedsits, but I expect it's all changed now. Or 'New Chesterton' which isn't The Arbury honestly.

Yeah I think north Cambridge is the cheap bit now (and I think it's just called Arbury now, sans 'The'), although Mill rd isn't too much more eye watering.

As for the bus-commutable towns, technically I could go for somewhere like that but to be clear, I don't actually work in Cambridge, I work a 20 minute commuter bus ride away, but Cambridge is one of the few places I can get that bus from. There's a train station near my work but it's about an hour's walk away, and the roads are a bit busy to ride a foldy bike along. So yeah, that's why I'm aiming for Cambridge as any additional step than the commuter bus and my commute gets quite a bit more complicated and expensive, but maybe that's just my own fussy buggery. Also I'd quite like to be able to actually go and do things in the evenings without having to fuck back off at 9 or whenever the last bus is.

gilbertharding

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I can't really say without essentially revealing to the internet where I work, as it's very small and there's fuck all else there. Which also means that even if I wanted to I don't reckon I'd be able to find a place there

lauraxsynthesis

Isn't there a river or something? Can you live on a narrowboat?

Although, I would love to see what happens if you move in with him, madhair.

Goldentony

QuoteI can't really say without essentially revealing to the internet where I work

WELWYN GARDEN CITY!!!!!!! he's a TESCO DOUBLE AGENT!!!!!!