Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,328
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:33:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What would you buy yourself if you were given £100?

Started by Small Man Big Horse, March 15, 2024, 10:20:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

It's another delightful "First world problems" thread folks, as I turn 50 this year and my Mother and Sister have said that they'd like me to think of something I'd like for that sum of money. Now, I am extremely fortunate to be in this situation, I know, some people do or get nothing for their fiftieth, but I can't really think of anything.

I mean, there are plenty of things that cost a lot more that I'd like (a flat so that I don't die in a shared house where my body wouldn't be found for about 10 days, or a pair of spy glasses so I could secretly video all of the stand up I see, etc, etc), but I just can't think of anything that interesting that's around the £100 mark.

But what about you? What would you do if you were told you could spend £100 on any one thing?

Icehaven

Sebastian Cobb

When it comes to birthday presents like that, I usually go for something that I want but I'm a little too stingy to stump up for myself. In the past it's been a rareish record for £60ish or a nice photobook.

Although at the moment I'm waiting for my card statement to rollover so I can pull the trigger on a nice Carharrt chore jacket that costs about that.

Kankurette

Eggy Mess

Records or something from the Korg Volca range if I wanted 'a thing'

madhair60

thenoise

It would take a lot longer for your body to be found if you lived in a flat by yourself than in a house share.

Vitality Blast T20 season ticket for Durham, about 80 quid I think

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: SteveDave on March 15, 2024, 10:27:25 AMRecords

While I love music I got rid of my physical collection years ago, and don't have the space to start a new one.

Quote from: Icehaven on March 15, 2024, 10:35:16 AMShop like a BILLIONAIRE in Poundland.

Ha, it's a lovely idea but I already own far too much tat from them.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 15, 2024, 10:43:52 AMWhen it comes to birthday presents like that, I usually go for something that I want but I'm a little too stingy to stump up for myself. In the past it's been a rareish record for £60ish or a nice photobook.

I get where you're coming from and there are a couple of graphic novels I'd like to get that are out of my price range, but I tend to buy so many all year round that it wouldn't feel that special, even if it was something I'd otherwise never own.

QuoteAlthough at the moment I'm waiting for my card statement to rollover so I can pull the trigger on a nice Carharrt chore jacket that costs about that.

That's a really good idea, the only problem there is that I desperately need to lose weight and get my diabetes under control, so in a year's time it might not plausibly suit me. And yes, this is irritating and I am annoying myself now.

Quote from: Eggy Mess on March 15, 2024, 10:51:05 AMRecords or something from the Korg Volca range if I wanted 'a thing'

Ah, I'm not musical, and anything I'd like tech wise that I can think of costs a lot more.

Butchers Blind

iamcoop

Some records, two pints of Guinness on the way home and then a lovely bag of ketamine in the evening.

Inspector Norse

imitationleather

Jim_MacLaine

Definitely buy something you don't need. A Blade Runner Rick Deckard Blaster kit for £99.99 perhaps?

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 15, 2024, 10:43:52 AMWhen it comes to birthday presents like that, I usually go for something that I want but I'm a little too stingy to stump up for myself. In the past it's been a rareish record for £60ish or a nice photobook.

Yes I would say that's the best approach unless you really need £100 worth of groceries.

I am in the same situation so am currently keeping an eye out for a print/original of something that I really like but really don't need.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: madhair60 on March 15, 2024, 11:15:13 AMgive it to me, the beloved madhair

And what would I get in exchange for this monumental sum of money Mr Madhair?

Quote from: Butchers Blind on March 15, 2024, 12:51:56 PMFor that money you could buy CaB outright.

And have to moderate the politics threads? My mental health would collapse within a couple of hours at best.

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on March 15, 2024, 01:10:59 PMDefinitely buy something you don't need. A Blade Runner Rick Deckard Blaster kit for £99.99 perhaps?

I like the idea of something I don't need, something quite ridiculous but which I'd be fond of. But I only quite like Blade Runner and unless it works alas it won't be that.

Underturd

Mr_Simnock

shoulders

A luxury item you ordinarily wouldn't think of buying for yourself that is somehow linked to your interests and age milestone.

An enormous pen the size of a roundabout?

Underturd

Beagle 2

shoulders

Quote from: shoulders on March 15, 2024, 02:15:46 PMA luxury item you ordinarily wouldn't think of buying for yourself that is somehow linked to your interests and age milestone.

An enormous pen the size of a roundabout?

I know what you're thinking, a mini roundabout or a normal roundabout?

Yes!