Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:11:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Heartbroken

Started by monkfromhavana, March 15, 2024, 12:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoOffenceLynn

Aww, sorry to hear about lovely Alan, cry as much as you need. He was obviously a loved family member. X

flotemysost

Ahh I'm sorry monk, that's shite. I remember when the first of my childhood cats died, my dad's work sent him a condolence card because he was apparently such a mess over it, this daft little creature we'd only had for a year or two. Sounds like your Alan (excellent name btw) was very loved, RIP.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Brian Freeze on March 16, 2024, 07:19:36 AMSoft cunt.

Spoiler alert
me, not you.

Hope the "joke" lands ok? (very nervous now about it but am going to take the risk)

Your line about him being your best mate broke my heart again a little as it's exactly what I said when our old lad reached the end after many years together and I knew exactly how you felt and it's so sad.

But also beautiful that you made the connections and bonds in the first place.

[close]

Take care x

It's fine, it's the type of joke I'd make too.

Nervous about Monday, we got him the December before lock down and I've been working from home ever since so we've always been together. Who am I going to make up songs about and sing to now? Am I actually going to have to do some work now?

I wanted a pet, but also didn't want one, but my girlfriend persuaded me. Wanted a dog as I'm not a cat person, but knew a cat would be more suitable. So, then I said I wanted an old cat.

Saw Alan (2 years old) , upon seeing us he just burped at us and the deal was sealed. He then got sick at the rescue centre so we had to wait weeks to see if he was going to be OK and we could take him, so we took him in a blanket and toy so he wasn't alone.

I was too hungover due to Xmas work party when he arrived. I was dying on the couch and a bit nervous. Alan had a mosey around the downstairs, climbed on my belly, eyed me a little where he ascertained that I was soft as shite, plonked himself down on me and fell asleep.

touchingcloth

Good on you for rescuing an old cat. That makes Alan even more lucky and loved and I'm sure you gave him a lovely life of belly snoozing.

Dex Sawash

When our guinea pig carked it, wife breaks news to our then 6 year old daughter when she got home from school. Her reaction was

Spoiler alert
whew, he was annoying
[close]

monkfromhavana

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 16, 2024, 10:38:44 AMGood on you for rescuing an old cat. That makes Alan even more lucky and loved and I'm sure you gave him a lovely life of belly snoozing.

No, I wanted an old cat, but then we saw Alan who was two and chose him instead.

touchingcloth

Quote from: monkfromhavana on March 16, 2024, 10:49:16 AMNo, I wanted an old cat, but then we saw Alan who was two and chose him instead.

That's old for a rescue, most centres have trouble homing cats rather than kittens so it's always nice when I hear about someone taking in an adult :)

steve98

Ah bummer :(
I was just looking (10 minutes ago) at a Rescue-Centre's cats, and one of them was called Alan; which made me smile and think of this place: Isn't their someone on CaB with an Alan cat? I wondered.

Gurke and Hare

Oh,poor Alan. I'm sure he had a good life with you.

Kankurette

Quote from: monkfromhavana on March 16, 2024, 10:49:16 AMNo, I wanted an old cat, but then we saw Alan who was two and chose him instead.
Good choice. I prefer older cats myself, kittens are hard work.

Barry Admin

I'm so sorry for your loss mate, Jelly going was similarly very sudden and unexpected, although in retrospect I'd been blind to how ill he was getting.  I'm sure Alan had the best life. 

Ham Bap

Sorry to hear about your mate.

I lost my cat pal on October 9th just past, Bobby, he was only 4. Woke up Sunday 8th and he was making terrible painful noises.
Rushed him to the emergency vet, they stabilised him, spoke to the vet and they were going to continue treatment the next day. Got a call at 8am that morning for us to come back quick as he was dying.
We think he had already died by that point. He was my best little mate too.

We got him from the rescue centre on Halloween 2019 right before COVID. He was here with us throughout it all. I wfh full time too so he was here with me 24 hours a day. He'd be sat outside my room in the morning, sleep on my bed late at night, follow me everywhere from room to room. I cried for about 6 days, had to take 2 days off work, would have taken a month if I could.

Never heard hiss once ever or lose his temper. Was a big gentle buddy, the best I've ever known.
It's losing a member of the family. I still think about him when I'm trying to sleep and every Sunday, the day of the week when it happened.

We got 2 new rescue cats not long after. They're not him.......they have their own personalities.

I would usually only get 1 cat from the rescue but we took an extra one home in his honour. I sometimes think how he would have reacted to these 2 running around. He would have loved them.
It helped us move on but will never forget him.

Cloud

They're a member of the family, with just as much grief.  So sorry for your loss.

Bernice

Got cats for the first time recently, two of them. It's mad how much happier they've made my home life, and how much I absolutely dote on them. Still, there's always that sad, fatalistic voice in the back of my head that let's me know that I'm gonna outlive them, and if I don't something has gone very wrong.

I'm really sorry man. Sic transit gloria mundi and all that. You will love again.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Ham Bap on March 17, 2024, 12:40:34 AMHe was my best little mate too.

We got him from the rescue centre on Halloween 2019 right before COVID. He was here with us throughout it all. I wfh full time too so he was here with me 24 hours a day. He'd be sat outside my room in the morning, sleep on my bed late at night, follow me everywhere from room to room. I cried for about 6 days, had to take 2 days off work, would have taken a month if I could.

Never heard hiss once ever or lose his temper. Was a big gentle buddy, the best I've ever known.
It's losing a member of the family. I still think about him when I'm trying to sleep and every Sunday, the day of the week when it happened.

This, exactly. Alan was the same, largely he was at his happiest when he he was hanging out with us. I know everyone says this, but I don't think I can get another cat. Partly because they will not be Alan, partly because know that there will always be a chance of this happening again and partly because I'd never want an indoor cat.

Thanks to everyone who has commented, I don't have many people to tell, so telling you all has really been an outlet for what I am feeling and comforted me somewhat.

Jockice

Quote from: monkfromhavana on March 17, 2024, 11:10:21 AMThis, exactly. Alan was the same, largely he was at his happiest when he he was hanging out with us. I know everyone says this, but I don't think I can get another cat. Partly because they will not be Alan, partly because know that there will always be a chance of this happening again and partly because I'd never want an indoor cat.

I thought that when Pongo had to be put to sleep a few days before Christmas 2012. A week into 2013 a friend of mine mentioned on Facebook that her two cats didn't get on so she was looking for a new home for one of them*. Enter Lotte into my life. About as different in personality from Pongo as it's possible to get, but she's equally as ace. So if I was you (which I'm not) I'd never say never.

My girifriend who had one very large energetic dog when I started going out with her now has no dog and five cats. She's practically housebound due to health problems nowadays, so they are like a little family for her. Luckily they all get on okay, although it's only the ginger one who pays me much attention when I visit. We're mates.

(*Strangely enough it was the one who enjoyed peeing on carpets who had to go. My friend somehow forgot to mention that. She rarely does it nowadays though. I've told her not to.)

El Unicornio, mang

Sorry for your loss, I know this feeling and it's like losing a family member. Sounds like Alan had a great life and was very loved though.