Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:44:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Art n that

Started by bgmnts, March 16, 2024, 03:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

What art n shit are you into? I don't art much. I do have favourites, but none of them I've seen in person (although Rembrandt's The Night Watch I've seen, and it's lovely).

I think I like baroque stuff, because a lot of it seems to happen in a void, and the contrast between the darkness and light makes it.

Artemisia Gentileschi's brutal depiction of Judith relieving Holofernes of his head. Mad.

Cronus' eyes bulging with madness and eating his boy. Goya in a bad place here, we can empathise. Possibly the best painting ever.

Ancient Greek boxer, resting. Unsure what draws me to this; he's bulging with masculinity but I think he's absolutely fed up of getting his face mashed.

Anyway, what do you like? Do you know a lot about ART? Do you paint/sculpt/carve?

Sebastian Cobb

I'm totally yag for Edward Hopper, perfect lighting, solitude and weltschmerz, what's not to like?

tookish

The first artist that really got me was Van Gogh (I know, outstandingly original) and when I was a kid/teen I wrote a pamphlet called 'Dear Vincent' which was all about his relationship with his brother Theo. Also wrote a lot of cringe poetry about him, I'll spoiler tag one below if you promise to bear in mind that I was sixteen and very akin to Adrian Mole in many ways.

I'm a big fan of Grayson Perry's pots and quilts as well. Something about them really speaks to me.

Van Gogh poem, god help me: 

Spoiler alert
Your skin was shaded in burnt umber, your eyes were jewel-bright
Sparks of cobalt, of Prussian blue, of grey, of ivory white.
When you worked, you were the best of Man; a god with paint on his shirt
But two black eyes like charcoal, devil's eyes, watched you at work.
The empty canvas was your life, and with tears it slowly filled
A trail of sharp vermilion sky, an inkblot deftly spilled
Death saw you on the threshold of eternity, reached for you there.
Sent a probing finger of doubt that pricked at the roots of your hair
Followed you out into the night where you painted the starry sky
Your poor heart broken in two, in three, in four, you sketched out a sigh
Oh, Vincent, you had the power to speak - but more than that, to capture
Trapping in a cage of pencil your misery, and your rapture.
Did you pin yourself in prison with the madness you had known?
Oh, you traced your despair and desolation and watched it, all alone
The brush in your hand grew heavy with the burden of your sorrow
For all your painted pictures of now, you were empty of tomorrow
So you shook off your soul with a bullet; a blow to the chest and the head
A sudden blaze of crimson lake, Venetian and Winsor red.
Back home again on your hands and knees in the harsh transparent rain
Through the chalky clouds, the cool lemon stars and the softly swaying grain
Found your weary way through the same old streets to the same old door
Stumbled into the good doctor's arms and said not one word more
Even to Theodorus, whom you hoped would never understand
And you closed your eyes as he gave you his last and held your weakened hand
You never promised words, your watercolours gave no last farewell
For you ached too hard with love for the painted pictures you could not sell.
All your life a tombstone swung at your throat; it turned out to be yours
Poor darling, there's a terrible truth in 'la tristesse durera toujours.'
[close]

bgmnts

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 16, 2024, 03:09:38 PMI'm totally yag for Edward Hopper, perfect lighting, solitude and weltschmerz, what's not to like?

Lovely stuff. Although those two paintings probably encapsulate my annoyance at art, because I'm immediately going "Who is she? Is she waiting for someone? Is she running away to somewhere? What did she order?", and you can never answer those questions!

Quote from: tookish on March 16, 2024, 03:17:17 PMThe first artist that really got me was Van Gogh (I know, outstandingly original) and when I was a kid/teen I wrote a pamphlet called 'Dear Vincent' which was all about his relationship with his brother Theo. Also wrote a lot of cringe poetry about him, I'll spoiler tag one below if you promise to bear in mind that I was sixteen and very akin to Adrian Mole in many ways.

I'm a big fan of Grayson Perry's pots and quilts as well. Something about them really speaks to me.

Van Gogh poem, god help me: 

Spoiler alert
Your skin was shaded in burnt umber, your eyes were jewel-bright
Sparks of cobalt, of Prussian blue, of grey, of ivory white.
When you worked, you were the best of Man; a god with paint on his shirt
But two black eyes like charcoal, devil's eyes, watched you at work.
The empty canvas was your life, and with tears it slowly filled
A trail of sharp vermilion sky, an inkblot deftly spilled
Death saw you on the threshold of eternity, reached for you there.
Sent a probing finger of doubt that pricked at the roots of your hair
Followed you out into the night where you painted the starry sky
Your poor heart broken in two, in three, in four, you sketched out a sigh
Oh, Vincent, you had the power to speak - but more than that, to capture
Trapping in a cage of pencil your misery, and your rapture.
Did you pin yourself in prison with the madness you had known?
Oh, you traced your despair and desolation and watched it, all alone
The brush in your hand grew heavy with the burden of your sorrow
For all your painted pictures of now, you were empty of tomorrow
So you shook off your soul with a bullet; a blow to the chest and the head
A sudden blaze of crimson lake, Venetian and Winsor red.
Back home again on your hands and knees in the harsh transparent rain
Through the chalky clouds, the cool lemon stars and the softly swaying grain
Found your weary way through the same old streets to the same old door
Stumbled into the good doctor's arms and said not one word more
Even to Theodorus, whom you hoped would never understand
And you closed your eyes as he gave you his last and held your weakened hand
You never promised words, your watercolours gave no last farewell
For you ached too hard with love for the painted pictures you could not sell.
All your life a tombstone swung at your throat; it turned out to be yours
Poor darling, there's a terrible truth in 'la tristesse durera toujours.'
[close]

That's a lovely tribute to Van Gogh, and not bad for a 16 year old! Don't think any of my doggerel could compete with that.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: bgmnts on March 16, 2024, 03:24:25 PMLovely stuff. Although those two paintings probably encapsulate my annoyance at art, because I'm immediately going "Who is she? Is she waiting for someone? Is she running away to somewhere? What did she order?", and you can never answer those questions!

It's all very subjective but I don't have that with these, I feel I know exactly how they feel, it seems they're both lamenting something - I don't know precisely what but I have a rough idea that doesn't need expanding.

Underturd

I like lots of stuff so it's hard to pick out one or two artists. Stuff that challenges my brain is good, so Esher I suppose. And I just discovered stuff in the Wimblewrong thread that I reckon is art even if it proves that some of you are as fucked in the head as I am.

bgmnts

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 16, 2024, 03:32:13 PMIt's all very subjective but I don't have that with these, I feel I know exactly how they feel, it seems they're both lamenting something - I don't know precisely what but I have a rough idea that doesn't need expanding.

That's probably the correct way to see them, to be fair. Most people don't need absolute certainty to get the gist ha.

Gurke and Hare

Art is great, yes. I like both old stuff and new, I like stuff by the Dutch masters, especially Bruegel's paintings with loads going on in them.

Netherlandish Proverbs[/i]

Also like modern stuff - the current exhibition at the Hayward Gallery has some fun sculptures.

A Monumental Offer of Potential Energy - EJ Hill

Crawl - Matthew Ronay

bgmnts

Love that Bruegel! Bit of a Shining moment going on under that porch.

I do like paintings that capture a rush of busy life like that. Fort Madox Brown's painting Work does that on a much smaller scale but captures the hectic urban life in 19th century street England.

There's a bit in the middle almost verging on up the arse corner but not quite.

lauraxsynthesis

Another fan of the Flemish Masters here. Lovely roly poly peasants ice skating in tumbledown villages and/or being chased by naked demons.

Last week I saw the Barbara Kruger at the Serpentine. Might have been more impressive if I'd seen it 30 years ago, but it was too on the nose for me really. I've been recommended the Yoko Ono at the Tate Modern and might make some time for that.

A modern artist I like a lot is Jeff Wall of the creepy big lightbox photos.

Underturd

Quote from: bgmnts on March 16, 2024, 04:56:39 PMLove that Bruegel! Bit of a Shining moment going on under that porch.

I do like paintings that capture a rush of busy life like that. Fort Madox Brown's painting Work does that on a much smaller scale but captures the hectic urban life in 19th century street England.

There's a bit in the middle almost verging on up the arse corner but not quite.
Oooh yeah Bruegels arelike a medieval Where's Wally with no stripy jumper cunt. I love them.

Buelligan

Love all the shit, except maybe some very romantic things, what's not to love?

On the Hopper women, the usherette isn't sad, she's bored, listening for the music that tells her it's nearly home time, she's going out later to meet someone new.  Woman in the yellow hat is leaving her partner forever, catching the night bus to California.  So obvious.

I live in Van Gogh's world.  February stand under almonds, up, through twisted black branches fingered with flowers at the riot of blue.  Feel the rage of life.  Irises, wild on every bank.  Olives pruned to bird claws, the yellow jars, the yellow chair and lilac light on the hill, early summer, when it's hot.  In the silence.

FeederFan500

https://artuk.org is good as any publicly owned works in the UK can be viewed online in one place. There is a lot of great stuff from art history that can be viewed for free even if most people I see in the major galleries seem to be Patagonia-sporting tourists.

I like a range of things but generally landscapes with some colour/light

Canaletto

Hopper (not his most famous work, but my favourite)

Mario Sironi

Genuinely considered going to Milan purely to see a Sironi exhibition but it was still in covid-y times.

And too much of impressionism/post-impressionism to reduce to one image. I appreciate paintings and prints more than sculpture too, I feel like I need an ELIF on what sculpture is generally about.

madhair60

surprised to see that you like a load of grim shit bgmnts

Blue Jam

Underturd

How come only some of them are wearing clothes? Is this how Furries started being a thing?

bgmnts

Quote from: madhair60 on March 16, 2024, 06:13:44 PMsurprised to see that you like a load of grim shit bgmnts

Wanderer above the Sea of Fog is also one of my favourites and that's not grim, it's sort of inspiring:

As well as William Morris art style patterns, and that celebration of art and making things look beautiful if you can.

Saying that, another favourite of mine is Cicerone denuncia Catilina and that is quite different (I actually have this - and Cronus -on my wall):

What art do you like, madhair?

Buelligan

I hate Cicero though, always feel he was a cunt.  He liked gardens too, so I can't understand myself but there it is.

madhair60

Quote from: bgmnts on March 16, 2024, 06:32:18 PMWhat art do you like, madhair?

i don't, it means nothing to me. i look at stuff like this and just think yeah it's a fella. or like oh a boat is it. i am incapable of appreciating traditional fine art on any level and i hate that i'm an idiot.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Underturd on March 16, 2024, 06:24:12 PMHow come only some of them are wearing clothes? Is this how Furries started being a thing?

Bulldog front-left is wearing breeks but  dog front-right is in a weskitt with his cock out like that's fine.

I once snuck into my parents house as a teenager and set the alarm off and my dad came hooning down the stairs in a similar state and I can confirm it's fucking terrifying.

Underturd

Sometimes if I couldn't sleep I'd go and stretch out on the sofa and if my dad got up to go for a piss he'd be commando too. He usually wore saggy yfronts to bed so I reckon what he was doing was a post shag piss so no wonder he always looked a bit ashamed that his kid saw him tackle out.

Quote from: bgmnts on March 16, 2024, 06:32:18 PMWanderer above the Sea of Fog is also one of my favourites and that's not grim, it's sort of inspiring:

It's down to interpretation though, what is the wanderer thinking about, and is the artist going to boot him over the edge as soon as he's done?

madhair60

unfortunately he is thinking about fucking his childen :(

bgmnts

Quote from: madhair60 on March 16, 2024, 06:41:25 PMi don't, it means nothing to me. i look at stuff like this and just think yeah it's a fella. or like oh a boat is it. i am incapable of appreciating traditional fine art on any level and i hate that i'm an idiot.

Well what non traditional art do you like? Nothing wrong with it not being for you. I've always enjoyed Ladybird book cover art, and comic strip art.

Quote from: Buelligan on March 16, 2024, 06:38:27 PMI hate Cicero though, always feel he was a cunt.  He liked gardens too, so I can't understand myself but there it is.

Feels like a cunt to me as well. I'm currently reading his letters to Atticus and he comes across as a bit of a self-aggrandising, arrogant precious oligarchical centrist wanker.

An important one, though.

Quote from: Underturd on March 16, 2024, 06:42:07 PMIt's down to interpretation though, what is the wanderer thinking about, and is the artist going to boot him over the edge as soon as he's done?

Most definitely, and my interpretation is that of self reflection and maybe hope. The fog could represent anything.

But I would agree that, interpretation aside, my OP picks could be seen as quite grim, and I'm okay with that.

FeederFan500

Quote from: bgmnts on March 16, 2024, 06:48:00 PMWell what non traditional art do you like? Nothing wrong with it not being for you. I've always enjoyed Ladybird book cover art, and comic strip art.

You may like this

https://www.victoriagal.org.uk/event/wonderful-world-ladybird-book-artists

paddy72

Quote from: bgmnts on March 16, 2024, 03:05:18 PMWhat art n shit are you into? I don't art much. I do have favourites, but none of them I've seen in person (although Rembrandt's The Night Watch I've seen, and it's lovely).

I think I like baroque stuff, because a lot of it seems to happen in a void, and the contrast between the darkness and light makes it.

Artemisia Gentileschi's brutal depiction of Judith relieving Holofernes of his head. Mad.

Recently visited the Uffizi Gallery in Florence, and this was my favourite piece in the whole place.

I'm also a fan of Zdzisław Beksiński, whose work is unrelentingly grim, while he was by all accounts a very affable guy who waved away dark psychological readings of his art.

Zero Gravitas

Timeless favourite Embroidering the Earth's Mantle - Remedios Varo

The reification of mythology, the spiritual, the abstract into the fabric of the world, a sermon is delivered which not only powers the looms of creation but provides the base material for the embroidery of a representation of the world spilling out from the cloister to become the fabric of the world itself, everything from a dog yapping in the street to a galleon sailing over the horizon.

I dabble with gouache, mostly woodland scenes, memories and imaginings of the black forest.

dontpaintyourteeth

I dunno, I like stuff like Nam June Paik and that. Not really into paintings that look like things so much. I like Bridget Riley. Rothko. Standard Tate Modern wank. You know.

bgmnts

Quote from: paddy72 on March 16, 2024, 07:05:51 PMRecently visited the Uffizi Gallery in Florence, and this was my favourite piece in the whole place.

I'm also a fan of Zdzisław Beksiński, whose work is unrelentingly grim, while he was by all accounts a very affable guy who waved away dark psychological readings of his art.

I didn't recognise the name but have actually seen one of his works before:

Upon googling his stuff, it's fair to say it is mostly somewhat dark!

paddy72

Quote from: bgmnts on March 16, 2024, 07:12:12 PMI didn't recognise the name but have actually seen one of his works before:

Upon googling his stuff, it's fair to say it is mostly somewhat dark!

Yes. I have one of his hanging above my desk, just to keep it cheery.