Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:02:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Art n that

Started by bgmnts, March 16, 2024, 03:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero Gravitas

I look into the cycles of time,
Not very clearly mind you.

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 20, 2023, 12:27:08 AMBeksiński is becoming better known and respected these days after his tragic end. His estate have licenced his paintings for album covers, like this 1977 one (he never titled any of his paintings) for an 2021 album that's really worth a listen if you like Kyuss, Tool, etc

I've never seen any of his paintings in person but I really rate him on just about every level. Sadly similar Polish school surrealist Mariusz Lewandowski who did a lot of commissioned metal album covers like the new one from Obituary died last year aged 61.

Underturd

Quote from: bgmnts on March 16, 2024, 07:12:12 PMI didn't recognise the name but have actually seen one of his works before:

Upon googling his stuff, it's fair to say it is mostly somewhat dark!

Well that's what my nightmares will be about tonight then.

Zero Gravitas

Beksiński and from the other thread Anders Zorn, had a bit of a resurgence with people querying their styles through generative image models, which is a tribute of a sort.

Buelligan

Just remembered something else specific that I liked recently because I found one vide greniering - Japanese prints from the late 1800s.  When Western clothing and culture was hitting.  Found one - it includes a lovely smiling dog, couple of women and young girls, one of whom is playing the accordion, dressed and hair-styled in a melange of traditional Japanese and late Victorian/Edwardian clothing. 

Something fascinating about an image of that moment when the two waves of culture impacted and rolled back.  Just that moment and then it was never the same again.  Here are some of what I mean but not as nice as the one I found -

iamcoop

Quote from: bgmnts on March 16, 2024, 03:05:18 PM

Ancient Greek boxer, resting. Unsure what draws me to this; he's bulging with masculinity but I think he's absolutely fed up of getting his face mashed.

Anyway, what do you like? Do you know a lot about ART? Do you paint/sculpt/carve?

I've been obsessed with Greek bronzes and the classical Greek art and architecture in general for years now.

It still blows my fucking mind how them slags managed to make shit like this

Over two thousand years ago.

When you see this stuff up close in the museums over there it's just mind-melting shit.

Underturd

That's not a sculpture that's someone who pissed off King Midas's little brother.

Emma Raducanu

Anybody else a fan of Great Art Explained? This is my go-to pre bedtime easy viewing.

It was this video about Edward Hopper that got me hooked.

For that matter, if there's another youtube channel doing stuff like this that anyone can recommend then great.

lauraxsynthesis

A couple of years ago I got 2 large prints of Eric Ravilious for my bedroom. It was difficult to choose and to limit it to 2. If I had a bigger place I'd probably put up like 20 of his. His stuff's got the same kind of enchantment for me as Powell & Pressburger films.

Underturd

Is that the Marlborough white horse?

ros vulgaris

My favourite painting, at least certainly of those I've seen in person, is The Great Day of His Wrath by John Martin. It's part of a triptych that references the Book of Revelation, although apparently he was more directly inspired by a night time travel through the Black Country.

Underturd

The Seven Dudley Sins

Kankurette

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 16, 2024, 06:16:13 PM
The canine Shaun Murphy?

Some of my faves:

Wassily Kandinsky

Otto Dix (we had to study his art in some of my German history/culture classes at uni, this is one of his less gruesome ones)

Pablo Picasso

Yayoi Kusama

David Hockney

It's got some bloke's arse in it so putting it under a cut
[close]

Joan Miró

Mark Ryden (if you like Jack Off Jill or Scarling, you'll know his stuff, he does their album art)

Zero Gravitas

Looks like we got ourselves a shapes and colours enjoyer.

bgmnts

Quote from: iamcoop on March 16, 2024, 07:45:03 PMI've been obsessed with Greek bronzes and the classical Greek art and architecture in general for years now.

It still blows my fucking mind how them slags managed to make shit like this

Over two thousand years ago.

When you see this stuff up close in the museums over there it's just mind-melting shit.

Lots of graft and skill I suppose.

I watched an art history programme where Mary Beard went to Naxos and visited the unfinished 35ft Kourous of Apollonus that they couldn't be arsed to finish because it may have already been too fucked before even moving it.

Imagine all that quarrying and chiselling and not even getting to see a new statue out of it.

That's just marble though, with the bronzes you've got to mine copper, mine - surprisingly rare - tin, then create the alloy after some trial and error, then pour the molten bronze into the individual casts, wait for it to cool and then weld those casts of bronze together: a lot of work!

Kankurette

I'm going Rome next month. There will no doubt be lots of naked Roman statues everywhere.

I like Mark Rothko and Piet Mondrian as well. There's something kind of soothing about all those squares and big stripes of colour.

Bentpitch

Quote from: Underturd on March 16, 2024, 09:11:35 PMIs that the Marlborough white horse?

No, I think it's Westbury. Marlborough is more spindly.

Underturd

Shit I was feeling clever :-(

Bentpitch

Underturd

Exactly what I needed to hear at this difficult time of horse identification failure, so thankyou :-)

cosmic-hearse

Quote from: Kankurette on March 16, 2024, 10:10:16 PMI'm going Rome next month. There will no doubt be lots of naked Roman statues everywhere.

I like Mark Rothko and Piet Mondrian as well. There's something kind of soothing about all those squares and big stripes of colour.

If I'm ever in Utrecht (unlikely) I would certainly visit the Rietveld Schröder House

100 years old!

Buelligan

Quote from: Kankurette on March 16, 2024, 10:10:16 PMI'm going Rome next month. There will no doubt be lots of naked Roman statues everywhere.

If you're frightened of penises, I think Pope Pius had many of them lopped and Clement shoved some leaves over.  I find it interesting they chose fig leaves, fig is a rude word for vagina in Italy - I know this specifically because I have a French friend who translated a menu into Italian much to the joy of Italian customers, ordering delicious cunt tart - I wonder if the leaf-choice was a joke from the stonemasons or antediluvian plaster-casters.  I hope so.

Terry Torpid

Thro' the Wood
John Atkinson Grimshaw (1836—1893)

Procession of Souls, 1890
Louis Welden Hawkins (1849—1910)

The Silent Voice, 1892
Gerald Moira (1867—1959)

The Sirens, 1892
John Longstaff (1861—1941)

The Flatiron, 1904
Edward Steichen (1879—1973)

Water Nymph, 1907
Paul Swan (1884—1972)

The Mermaid, 1910
Howard Pyle (1853—1911)

The Snow Queen, 1911
Edmund Dulac (1882—1953)

Cloud Formation with Hidden Air Spirits
Alexander von Riesen (1892—1964)

At Close of Day, 1941
Maxfield Parrish (1870—1966)

Rock Bottom
Daniel Merriam (1963—)

The Swim, 2022
Alice Brasser (1965—)

I'm in a turquoise mood.

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: ros vulgaris on March 16, 2024, 09:40:26 PMMy favourite painting, at least certainly of those I've seen in person, is The Great Day of His Wrath by John Martin. It's part of a triptych that references the Book of Revelation, although apparently he was more directly inspired by a night time travel through the Black Country.

Ooh yes I saw that retro at the National Gallery. Great big things, loved it.

greenman

The Victroian crossover between moody atmospheric landscapes and faeries in the work of people like Atkinson Grimshaw always seemed a bit strange to me.

Terry Torpid

More moody shit from the 19th century.

The Deluge, 1840
Francis Danby (1793—1861)

Oak Fractured by Lightning, 1842
Maxim Vorobiev (1787—1855)

Aurora Borealis, 1865
Frederic Edwin Church (1826—1900)

Anguish, 1878
August Friedrich Schenck (1828—1901)

Ahasuerus at the End of the World, 1888
Adolf Hirémy-Hirschl (1860—1933)

Les docks de Cardiff, 1894
Lionel Walden (1862—1933)

The Birch Wood, 1894
Karl Mediz

The Faerie Dance, 1895
Karl Wilhelm Diefenbach (1851—1913)

Genoese Towers in the Black Sea, 1895
Ivan Aivazovsky (1817—1900)

Morning, 1897
Mikhail Vrubel (1856—1910)

Les Deux Têtes, 1898
Auguste Leroux (1871—1954)

Looking through my art folder, so many of my favourite paintings come from the 1890s. There must have been something in the water that decade that makes the work appeal to me.

Quote from: greenman on March 17, 2024, 10:39:38 AMThe Victroian crossover between moody atmospheric landscapes and faeries in the work of people like Atkinson Grimshaw always seemed a bit strange to me.

I think it's an interesting period because it's reasonably close to our own time, so the buildings and fashions and some of the tech don't seem too alien, unlike say medieval or Renaissance art, but it's also just beyond living memory, which gives the era a slightly haunted quality.

Dex Sawash

Underturd

Looks as if someone stuck a detached cock up his arse.

Brian Freeze

We saw Famine by John Charles Dollman recently and it's fucking horrible but I still can't stop thinking about it.

I can't find a suitable image to display on here as they all look shit but I kept walking off and then coming back to it at least half a dozen times and got a proper shiver right up my spine every time. The sheer horror of the relentless never ending bleakness really spooked me.

Need to go back and get it out of my system.

Underturd

Tillman or Dollman?

Heh, you edited :-)

Shaxberd

I'm very fond of Castle of the Pyrenees by Magritte, something about the combination of heaviness and weightlessness, magical and a little ominous.