Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:27:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Your handwriting

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, March 20, 2024, 06:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Brian Freeze on March 21, 2024, 06:39:37 AMThis has never been worthy of its own thread but how many pen strokes do you use to write the number five? One? Two? Three?

I'm a twoer and wonder whether it might be unusual or not?

My handwriting is fine, used to like mixtapes to look cool but it's now used for timesheets and shopping lists mainly.

Surely 2 strokes for a 5 is the standard. Start at top left, straight down then do the curvy bit. Then do the cross-bar at the top. (I've come across people who do it all in one but they probably put marge on their weetabix.)

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on March 21, 2024, 03:10:52 PMSurely 2 strokes for a 5 is the standard. Start at top left, straight down then do the curvy bit. Then do the cross-bar at the top. (I've come across people who do it all in one but they probably put marge on their weetabix.)

I do it all in one. I am correct and people who do a 5 in two or more strokes are the kind of people who iron their pants

ZoyzaSorris

I have aids tier handwriting, it's very legible, just looks like absolute shite unworthy of a 10 year old (I have brutish ungainly hands that would make a Homo heidelbergensis blush and I'm blaming the fundamental physics of their architecture). Has also got worse over the last few years, possibly due to SARS driven neurodegeneration.

SteveDave

Since I left school my handwriting has echo'd my dad's in that it's all capitals but the letters that aren't at the start of each word are slightly smaller than the lead letters. I still use a notebook and pen everyday in work and to write down some of the great thoughts I have often.

Mr_Simnock

does anyone do the felon's claw?

Dex Sawash

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Zetetic on March 20, 2024, 08:47:11 PMApparently had learnt to copy letter shapes very early and that screwed over my ability (or willingness) to learn actual handwriting.

Does copying writing at an early age lead to your writing being bad?  Somewhere I still have an example of me making letter shapes at something like 2 years old or whatever.

Incy Wincy Mincey

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on March 20, 2024, 10:35:47 PMThe old cliche is that forward-sloping handwriting suggests an optimistic go-getter and backward-sloping letters a more melancholic type, I think.

My handwriting was shit in primary school, and as I was the swotty type it's the only thing I was routinely bollocked for.

Same initially at secondary until one day I randomly decided to slant my writing to the right. Overnight my teachers were telling me how much neater I was. Mad really, I was forming the letters just the same, just leaning over.

Don't bother my arse nowadays, but then I generally wfm so I'm the only one who ever sees my notes anyway.

Zetetic

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on March 21, 2024, 06:53:28 PMDoes copying writing at an early age lead to your writing being bad?  Somewhere I still have an example of me making letter shapes at something like 2 years old or whatever.
I think if you copy haphazardly and then you're extremely lazy and overly-sensitive to any experience of incompetence, yes.

JesusAndYourBush

I was supposed to add "...and my writings terrible." at the end of my previous post but I knocked over a glass of water and spent half a sodding hour cleaning it up.

It's always been bad, I can write ok if I make an effort but most of the things I write are disposable things like notes and shopping lists so I don't bother to be neat.

flotemysost

Getting asked to fill out forms freehand with a pen always feels a bit antiquated in this day and age, when I'm so accustomed to online autofilled drop-downs, or signing for deliveries with a cursory touch-screen squiggle.

Gave blood earlier and they waved a bone marrow donor form and a biro at me in the waiting room (as they're after mixed-race matches); gaily filled it out, then looked down and thought "well, good luck locating me from THAT". Always amazed when I sign a petition or something in person and then later actually get a successfully-delivered email via my hasty scrawl.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: flotemysost on March 21, 2024, 11:43:31 PMGetting asked to fill out forms freehand with a pen always feels a bit antiquated in this day and age, when I'm so accustomed to online autofilled drop-downs, or signing for deliveries with a cursory touch-screen squiggle.

LOVE it when you get emailed a Word document or .pdf document and it's heavily implied they expect you to fill it in electronically but by the time you've typed 5 characters the formatting's already so fucked you're thinking you're best off just scanning something you've printed and filled in with biro.

But you don't, do you?

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: flotemysost on March 21, 2024, 11:43:31 PMGetting asked to fill out forms freehand with a pen always feels a bit antiquated in this day and age, when I'm so accustomed to online autofilled drop-downs, or signing for deliveries with a cursory touch-screen squiggle.

I think my experience is the opposite as at work we use Docusign for stuff a lot and all the fucking around with fields and account details is such a pain in the arse that it would almost always be easier to just do it the old fashioned way.