Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:04:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Primark

Started by shiftwork2, March 23, 2024, 12:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shiftwork2

Delighted with recent purchases, jeans, accessories. Terrific.  Fast fashion I suppose and that's bad for the environment.

What's your Primark?  Just talk about it.  Sometimes I get tired of your reticence.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Bought many t-shirts from there which are no longer with me. Got a small jacket/coat thing that is though so my take is that it is a variety of things

shiftwork2

I find the t-shirts to be rather poor.  Ten washes at best.

It's not looking good for Primark t-shirts!

Brian Freeze

Ended up in there before Christmas helping a daughter buy tights for her sister and found the best slippers EVER by accident.

Furry lined croc knockoffs with Pizza Hut and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles branding for a tenner. The comfest footwear ever. Bought a pair for my dad and he agrees. Foolishly didn't buy ten more pairs to last the rest of my life.

By the time I'd come to appreciate how perfect they were (not that long actually), they'd sold out and were seventeen quid a pair on eBay.
No-one to blame but myself.

Birmingham Primark has a Greggs in the middle of it. You can't ask for anything more.

shoulders

The fashion is so fast sometimes it's like...whoa, stop i wanna get off!

Sherringford Hovis

I like the one with the little bits of prawn in it best. Squeezing fishy cheese out of a tube is exactly the 21st Century we yearned for back in the Seventies.

Oh no, that's Primula. Sorry.

Zetetic

Got an orange Primark jumper from a charity shop once.

It's fine.

Spoon of Ploff

Was thinking of getting some white shirts for work from Primark.. but the shirts need to last at least long enough for the armpit sections to appear noticeably yellow before they fall apart.. what are the chances?

GMTV

We thank the children of developing nations for their efforts in providing us with cheap disposable clothing.

dontpaintyourteeth

You forgot to put some doomer chat about climate change in there

GMTV

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on March 23, 2024, 06:59:25 AMYou forgot to put some doomer chat about climate change in there

Environment was mentioned in the OP so I had to think of some other way to introduce misery.

I've always found primark a step too far quality wise. Almost none of the guys stuff is fitted, just sort of hangs there. When I was young and about town I'd get most of my stuff from topman and h&m, at the time only slightly more expensive. I guess with times getting tough the delta between primark and the next lowest cost clothes has jumped so will be more of a compelling argument.

I'm in primark fairly frequently with my wife, she seems to love it. I'll sometimes have a look at the guys stuff an think nah, I'll just stick with the rags I have.

I'm staving off my imminent shift to middle age as I've noticed recently M&S all of a sudden seem to have all the type of clothes I'd be wanting, and reasonably priced. A bit like radio 2 now has lots of music I liked compared to the old shite it used to play.

oggyraiding

I get my jeans from there, they don't last more than a few months, but they're cheap so it balances out.

I worked there for four years, when you're on your induction you have to sign a waiver acknowledging they definitely don't use exploitative labour and do actually pay their sweatshop workers a good wage (for the region) actually. I don't know why I had to sign that as a till jockey, I had little stakes in the treatment of the garment makers, maybe it was preemptive damage control?

FeederFan500

Maybe they have changed but Primark was the worst for clothes losing any shape they had quickly.

baptist

Their "high end" polo shirts (£8) are actually pretty good and keep their shape well.

AllisonSays

I buy three slimfit grey t-shirts and three slimfit black t-shirts from Primark annually. They're fine and they do last at least a year without the neck drooping. Then I try to supplement the t-shirts with second hand or ethically made/much more expensive clothes. Their socks are totally fine as well.

That's how I feel about Primark, thanks for asking.

Pink Gregory

More of a George at Asda man myself. 

Sainsbury's also had a Martin Kemp range which I have eyed meaningfully.

El Unicornio, mang

I have a coat from there which fits better than any coat I've ever had, goes nicely with the only fancy suit i own, has lasted over five years without issues, and surprises people when I tell them where it's from. So it is possible to get good stuff. My friend from the US would spend hours there every trip, the quality is way higher and a lot cheaper than equivalent Anerican stores.

I rarely clothes shop though, and never go in primark unless someone else I'm with wants to.

Dex Sawash

Fuck my hat, we've got primarks rightcheer in norf careliner over in Concord. Not fucking going though, Concord is where you move when Charlotte isn't jesusy enough for you.

non capisco

Quote from: Pink Gregory on March 23, 2024, 10:08:26 AMSainsbury's also had a Martin Kemp range which I have eyed meaningfully.

Misread this on my phone as 'Sainsburys also had a Mein Kampf range', think I need mein eyes tested

madhair60

i've never been to primark

dontpaintyourteeth

I've never been to me

madhair60

i've been to you. it was fine.

shiftwork2

Quote from: madhair60 on March 23, 2024, 10:46:58 AMi've never been to primark

Thank you for your contribution.

madhair60

and i'd like to thank you for your many fantastic contributions to the site over the years such as your excellent threads "i think i need a piss" and "ok im pissing now"

shiftwork2

My threads fall into two categories.  Hits and Sleeper Hits.

Buelligan

They don't even have that shit here.  No Primark whatsoever.  Don't go clothes shopping anyway, we knit our own.  We do piss though.

Indomitable Spirit

The homeware section is quite good. Got a load of collapsible storage boxes in nice colours for cheap. They normally have cool, weirdly shaped candles and ceramics if you want to make you house looks a bit boujee on a budget.

Never bother with clothes as they are generally very poor quality and you'd be better sourcing higher end stuff from a charity shop. They do have lots of weird licensed stuff in there though - last year they had loads of cool Evangelion and Akira t-shirts that I would have probably bought if they weren't atomically thin.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Brian Freeze on March 23, 2024, 12:37:21 AMEnded up in there before Christmas helping a daughter buy tights for her sister and found the best slippers EVER by accident.

Furry lined croc knockoffs with Pizza Hut and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles branding for a tenner. The comfest footwear ever. Bought a pair for my dad and he agrees. Foolishly didn't buy ten more pairs to last the rest of my life.

By the time I'd come to appreciate how perfect they were (not that long actually), they'd sold out and were seventeen quid a pair on eBay.
No-one to blame but myself.

THANK YOU for posting this. The other day I was on the way to werk and noticed someone on the bus was wearing Croc-style shoes with Pizza Hut-branding and was wondering what the fuck that was about- was he a Pizza Hut employee, and did they issue the staff with Crocs because they're on their feet all day? Why is he wearing them outside werk?

Now I have an explanation: that this man is one of life's winners. Thanks for clearing up that mystery. Now I just need to track him down and steal his shoes.

Gurke and Hare

I've never bought anything from Primark. I've been in and found something that I'd quite like to buy in the past, but every time I've got to the till and there's been a queue of seventeen million people so I haven't bothered.

I'm old now anyway. Supermarket clothes sections and M&S are fine. Got an M&S delivery that should be arriving on Monday.