Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:53:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Margate

Started by There Be Rumblings, March 23, 2024, 07:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

Never trust anyone who tells you Margate is good. Total hell hole, like all seaside towns.

lazyhour

Quote from: imitationleather on March 24, 2024, 03:29:40 PMNever trust anyone who tells you Margate is good. Total hell hole, like all seaside towns.

Didn't you move to Hastings recently? Doesn't bode well!

imitationleather

Oh man. That was a nightmare. No reflection on the town though.

I live in London now. Safe, lovely, London.

imitationleather

My girlfriend is from Margate and so I've been there more times than I care to.

iamcoop

Ooh, got a girlfriend have you

imitationleather

Yeah. And we've done it and everything!

seepage

seepage

Clacton or Holland-on-Sea might be on the cards but prices are rising fast

jobotic

Us gammony Kent folk are just waiting for proper people to come from London and teach us about culture. We might be hostile but that's only because we don't understand. We will be grateful in the end.

What's London like? I can't imagine it.

mjwilson

Used to go to Margate as a day trip from Herne Bay on summer holidays when I was a nipper. Dreamland was all about the rides back then, I remember it as being pretty good.

imitationleather

Margate is shit. Get over it and move to London!

jobotic

Quote from: mjwilson on March 24, 2024, 05:54:40 PMUsed to go to Margate as a day trip from Herne Bay on summer holidays when I was a nipper. Dreamland was all about the rides back then, I remember it as being pretty good.

Looping Star. Scenic Railway, which I think is still there. Was Bembom Brothers when I last went.

Me and a mate spent ages in the arcade there playing Wonderboy while the friends we came down with got a kicking on the beach.

Norton Canes

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on March 24, 2024, 11:54:20 AMRecommended books:
All the Devils are Here by David Seabrook
Dreamland by Rosa Rankin-Gee
Last Orders by Graham Swift

I think there are lots of novels set/partially set in Margate, but these are books I've read.

Riddley Walker has to be worth a mention

shiftwork2

Imagine shooting your beans in Margate, sea air, committed relationship, chip fat, salt, modern art and vinegar (unwrapped).  It's not going to get better than that is it.  This cavalcade of life.

non capisco

Quote from: shiftwork2 on March 24, 2024, 07:49:20 PMImagine shooting your beans in Margate, sea air, committed relationship, chip fat, salt, modern art and vinegar (unwrapped). 

Whelks as well.

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: Norton Canes on March 24, 2024, 07:42:10 PMRiddley Walker has to be worth a mention

Sometimes Thanet is a bit like that, yeah. Though technically Margate is subsumed into "The Ram" in the novel.

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: jobotic on March 24, 2024, 05:12:03 PMUs gammony Kent folk are just waiting for proper people to come from London and teach us about culture. We might be hostile but that's only because we don't understand. We will be grateful in the end.

What's London like? I can't imagine it.

Soz this has been a gross DFL thread it's true. In my defence, I used to live in Canterbury and married a Margate-born Folkestone-raised Man of Kent.

jobotic

I was hamming it up for effect to honest. I don't care where people are from or where they choose to live.

It was the post about Hastings actually having its own culture before people from London arrived that got me.

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: jobotic on March 24, 2024, 10:32:27 PMI was hamming it up for effect to honest.

Itvwas the post about Hastings actually having its own culture before people from London arrived that got me.

Haha. That actually rang true to me though about Hastings.

imitationleather

lazyhour

Quote from: jobotic on March 24, 2024, 10:32:27 PMI was hamming it up for effect to honest. I don't care where people are from or where they choose to live.

It was the post about Hastings actually having its own culture before people from London arrived that got me.

Why? I think you may have totally misunderstood my post. I know loads of born-and-bred Hastings people who are fucking furious at Londoners coming down and thinking they're bringing culture to the town. Hastings was always way weirder than the likes of Margate, Folkestone, Battle, Eastbourne, Ashford...

Edit: Unless you're upset that I'm saying Hastings is better and has more to it than Margate? Just my opinion, innit?

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: There Be Rumblings on March 24, 2024, 08:14:40 AMYeah the Libertines own a hotel/ bar/ studio/ music venue on the seafront, The Albion Rooms.

This should be enough to put anyone off ever going there again tbh

iamcoop

To be fair when I went to Hastings about ten years ago, we stayed in a lovely B&B and the woman running it made a very pointed comment about how we were the first couple to stay there in about two years who weren't from London on a house hunting mission. Must get pretty fucking insufferable after a while if you're a local

But again I haven't exactly got a leg to stand on in that respect, the place I moved to ten years ago has become massively gentrified with locals increasingly getting priced out so I'm very much part of the problem. Or something.