Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:44:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Live volcano watch in Iceland

Started by NoSleep, March 25, 2021, 10:31:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: NoSleep on November 25, 2022, 09:12:22 AMEnd of an era:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is terrible news. I got a bit behind on my RVK Newscasts and I was intending to catch up.

Look at him: smiling but walking all over the lava. Doesn't give a fuck now. Just waiting for the volcano gods to take Polly and him. Farewell ramshackle presenter and border collie and dachshund mix-owner of our hearts.

NoSleep

Looks like Mt.Fagradalsfjall is going for a trilogy, maybe in just a few days:

No sign of a Reykjavik Grapevine revival, as yet.

NoSleep

This report predicts it could happen in the next couple of hours:

Quote from: NoSleep on July 06, 2023, 08:27:12 AMNo sign of a Reykjavik Grapevine revival, as yet.

And they're back, albeit minus Valur & Polly:

And an anticipatory livestream is already up:

beanheadmcginty

They really ought to rename the place Fireland

NoSleep

It begins; albeit just smoke at this stage:

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on July 08, 2023, 11:48:22 AMThey really ought to rename the place Fireland

Welcome to Smokeland, please keep the wind behind you.

Apparently it's started at Meridalir, where last year's was, rather than the more distant Keilir (the peak visible in the video), where it was expected. Looks like that livestream camera might not want to be situated where it is (almost on top of the eruption).

NoSleep

This guy is currently scrambling to film the first appearance of lava. Apparently the location is Litli-Hrútur.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: NoSleep on July 06, 2023, 08:27:12 AMNo sign of a Reykjavik Grapevine revival, as yet.

Did the RVK Newscast stop after Valur and Polly left? I'd not got round to watching for a while until you posted their farewell video here.

NoSleep

The regular newscast ended seven months ago (with Valur's farewell); there's been only ten (non-news) videos made subsequently (discounting the two volcano-related ones this week), with the first of those being Andie Sophia Fontaine's farewell, who now runs the Reykjavik Newsdesk channel elsewhere on YouTube. Seems like RG lost all their news journalism in one fell swoop.

The woman hosting the new volcano watch video advertises her own business (the "Lava Show"), in which people pay to watch lava that has been re-melted on site in a theatre or something.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: NoSleep on July 12, 2023, 08:59:41 AMThe regular newscast ended seven months ago (with Valur's farewell); there's been only ten (non-news) videos made subsequently (discounting the two volcano-related ones this week), with the first of those being Andie Sophia Fontaine's farewell, who now runs the Reykjavik Newsdesk channel elsewhere on YouTube. Seems like RG lost all their news journalism in one fell swoop.

The woman hosting the new volcano watch video advertises her own business (the "Lava Show"), in which people pay to watch lava that has been re-melted on site in a theatre or something.

Oh, bloody hell. That's sad to hear.

I'll always think of that show fondly as one of the things that helped with my mental health during the pandemic.

NoSleep

Looks like it's all rearing up again in the general area of the Reykjanes Peninsula. Various potential hotspots. Most noteworthy, at this stage, is the area around the Blue Lagoon, where visits have been suspended due to seismic activity. If this is the place where an eruption (like the previous ones we've seen) occurs, then this tourist spot may be overwhelmed

Neville Chamberlain

I really have to get fluent in Icelandic before the whole flipping place blows sky high. Making good progress so far!

NoSleep

It's back, but this time it's not a sightseeing attraction, more an imminent disaster:

Johnny Yesno

Damn! I only just saw this thread. More info from the Reykjavik Grapevine:

Volcano Watch 2023: The Eruption's Aftermath: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2Pt8LdYIPU

It's the first one I've watched in ages. I miss Valur and Polly :-(

NoSleep

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on December 30, 2023, 02:48:39 PMIt's the first one I've watched in ages. I miss Valur and Polly :-(

I saw a recent one, post the quake at Grindavik, where the presenter was interviewing an upset elderly woman in fear of losing her home and possessions, and his tone with her was, "Well, you win some, you lose some", kind of cold.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: NoSleep on December 30, 2023, 04:09:24 PMI saw a recent one, post the quake at Grindavik, where the presenter was interviewing an upset elderly woman in fear of losing her home and possessions, and his tone with her was, "Well, you win some, you lose some", kind of cold.

This one?

Volcano Watch 2023: The Town Of Grindavík Evacuated, Eruption Probable In Near Future: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lDpgxCHmOQ

Quote from: JónThat can happen.

Johnny Yesno

Yeah, I'm not liking that dude at all. Somehow less competent than Valur and with zero personality.

Agent Dunham

It's back, and dangerously close to Grindavik. There's been a fatality. Somebody fell into the fissure!

Bad news.

Mr_Simnock

thinking about it if I was going to lose my home I don't think it would be that bad because it was a lava flow, at least it might make the local papers or something

NoSleep

Alberon

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on January 14, 2024, 06:45:43 PMthinking about it if I was going to lose my home I don't think it would be that bad because it was a lava flow, at least it might make the local papers or something

Dunno if it'd make the papers in Iceland though. Your home would have to eaten by a wild Bjork or something for that.

Johnny Yesno

It's back again!

Iceland: Grindavik volcano erupts again, witnessed by Sky correspondent on holiday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgPS5qoDuBw

Johnny Yesno

bgmnts

You'd be well gutted to move to emigrate en masse to place called ICEland, only to find out that it's regularly flooded by liquid hot magma, spunked out by a terminally sulky volcano.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: bgmnts on March 17, 2024, 10:50:29 PMYou'd be well gutted to move to emigrate en masse to place called ICEland, only to find out that it's regularly flooded by liquid hot magma, spunked out by a terminally sulky volcano.

No, I wouldn't!

NoSleep

I don't like these new evil volcanoes.

Underturd

Don't say that, they might hear you!