Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:52:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Hives

Started by Peacock Johnson, August 14, 2023, 03:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
...are back doing their song on their  new album, their first in 10 years plus.

Love The Hives and their shtick, they do it very well and infectiously.

Finally going to get to see them live, next year.

New album is great, usual garage rock stuff of course but with something a bit different on track 11.

dr beat

Got my ticket to see them in Newcastle in March next year. 

Fond memories of seeing them in Sheffield in 2004 and Pelle Almqvist proclaiming:

'We are so glad to be back on your continent of Great Britain! We are on your continent, we are in your continent! We are truly...incontinent!'

dontpaintyourteeth

I saw them in 2002. It was good fun. Not that arsed about their records really though.

iamcoop

Got tickets for Newcastle as well.

They do what they do and they do it well. Just party music innit.

Can't say I listen to them an awful lot but a night out watching them can't be anything other than a complete riot I'd have thought.

gilbertharding

Played the 'Your New Favourite Band' cd to death in 2001 like everyone else, but...

Inspector Norse

Might have told this before on a rubbish claims to fame thread, but my partner was at a friend's a few years ago when she got a phone call from someone saying he had found her bank card in the parking meter outside. When she went down to pick the card up, the good samaritan was, yes, Howlin' Pelle from The Hives.

SteveDave

I saw them supporting the Arctic Monkeys a few months ago and they do their thing very well. They do seem to be the sort of band it would be insanely easy to parody.

Magnum Valentino

Anyone else ever find that big hit of theirs really sounds like the music from the Metropolis Zone in Sonic 2?

shoulders

Some fairly flat insecure compliments here. 'Do what they do' 'Doing their thing'. Just say you like them.

dr beat

Well that's just like, your opinion man.

idunnosomename

they suck ass!!!!!!!!!!!!

sevendaughters

I love that basically the one copy of 13 Point Plan to Destroy America that made it to Sweden seems to have influenced 10000 people to start a less good band.

Die All Right! is a stonker, the rest are whatever, but they remind me of seeing a lot of noise and garage bands playing with a smile back in the day so I harbour no ill will to their success.

Saw these last night and they were amazing, such a good live band and yer man is a killer front man, just goofy fun and great tunes; crowd lapping it up.

Can even throw in their most famous song mid-set and it not matter a jot to the set.

So annoyed only seen them now for first time.

Kankurette

Quote from: shoulders on August 15, 2023, 09:02:45 PMSome fairly flat insecure compliments here. 'Do what they do' 'Doing their thing'. Just say you like them.
This IS Oscillations.

thugler

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 15, 2023, 09:23:28 PMI love that basically the one copy of 13 Point Plan to Destroy America that made it to Sweden seems to have influenced 10000 people to start a less good band.

I don't think they sound anything whatsoever like NOU.

I think they're fine, seem to have stuck around on the strength of being a reliable support/festival slot filler that will be entertaining and high energy. I prefer when they don't bother to try to update their sound or branch out too much.
Always preferred Randy who seemed very much overshadowed amongst those swedish bands at the time, and the marked men who seemed to me to do something much more interesting with the garage punk sound, but I guess were a bit late to the party.

dr beat

Quote from: Peacock Johnson on March 29, 2024, 08:12:02 AMSaw these last night and they were amazing, such a good live band and yer man is a killer front man, just goofy fun and great tunes; crowd lapping it up.

Can even throw in their most famous song mid-set and it not matter a jot to the set.

So annoyed only seen them now for first time.

Yeah I loved it last night, although I was knackered by the end, probably started on the ales too early.  I must be getting old!

Chicory

Any band that has a track called 'Oh Lord! When? How?' gets a free pass from me.

iamcoop

I saw them last night as well meaning there must have been at least three CaBbers in the crowd, giving the City Hall heavy phimotic vibes.

They were great, although I wished they'd have played more stuff from Tyrannosaurus Hives which I think is by far their best album.

That venue is so fucking hot at the best of times I dunno how one of them didn't pass out with heat stroke in those suits

dr beat

£7.60 for a pint of warm Shipyard, seems like they brought a bit of Sweden with them.  Got me used to going to Helsinki next month.

sevendaughters

Quote from: thugler on March 29, 2024, 11:53:21 AMI don't think they sound anything whatsoever like NOU.

Me either! But Pelle is quite Svenoniusy and the whole Umea hardcore scene took their cues from the ironic stance of NOU rather than the earnestness of others.

Helvetica Scenario

I've always assumed they modelled their sound on Raw Power era Stooges. Hate to Say I Told You So was a great little banger, loved the video with the sweaty mustachioed guitar player looking like he was playing his last tune before his heart finally gave out.