Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:34:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Children's names called out in public

Started by Pink Gregory, March 28, 2024, 02:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

checkoutgirl

HOLD STILL so I can wipe your bum...Jebediah.

checkoutgirl

If I hear another peep out of you today, I'm going to get the wooden spoon...Methuselah.

Kankurette

Quote from: Blumf on March 28, 2024, 02:57:05 PMAt some point those old lady names must make a comeback. Ethel, Doreen, Mabel. Has anybody noticed an up-tick in them yet?
Only for bulldogs. And the cat next door to my parents is a Mabel, big chonky tabby who just strolls into their house like she owns the place and menaces Stan (their cat).

Kankurette

seepage

out the back garden: "stop torturing that rabbit, Darius"

non capisco

Overheard in Kingston-On-Thames, walking off a hangover by the river the day after my sister's marriage to a bellend: "Oh, will you stop this persistent snivelling, Rupert!" Cheered me right up. Yeah, Rupert.

lazyhour

I've only got one of these, but it's a cherished memory. In a residential bit of Brighton, circa 2003, a mother calling to her two children from the doorstep:

"Lemuel! ...Inigo!"

Jerzy Bondov

I think Mabel is a nice name. Noticed a lot of four year old Arthurs cutting about these days. Proper old man name I think

Bentpitch

I'm keen on the 1900s mining village names I hear regularly in the southside of Glasgow  - Ivor, Alfie, Archie, Arthur. It'll be over by Christmas, boys!

Oosp

Quote from: checkoutgirl on March 28, 2024, 03:31:02 PM"Sennen" in the zoo the other day. Irish male name. The level of irritation this name causes shall be left entirely up to you.

Senan. (Not a fan either way)

lauraxsynthesis

My friend named her sons Alfie and Arthur. She had a think what names she wouldn't be embarrassed to shout in the local market in our working-class area of South London.

There's a 15 year old down the road named Soldier. Rather suspect his name-shouting mum's not given him the best start and he's carried on from there.

popcorn

Quote from: Blumf on March 28, 2024, 02:57:05 PMAt some point those old lady names must make a comeback. Ethel, Doreen, Mabel. Has anybody noticed an up-tick in them yet?

Loads of them have already come back. Grace, Ava, Esme are all in the top 100 atm.

Same with some old man names like George and Arthur.

Brian Freeze

Horses for courses innit but one of our daughters has a friend with a brother called Sparrow.

If we'd had a boy there's a massive chance he'd have been a Douglas.

Mabel, Doris, and Ethel are all dogs I know.

Brian Freeze

Not long now till lollipop men are called Darren.

Captain Crunch

Did hear a woman in Sainsbury's shout "Anakin, come back!" 

Two of my cousins had babies this year – Lil and Elsie. 

Shaxberd

Going to Bluedot a few years ago involved quite a lot of Avas and Imogens being pulled around in carts like medieval princelings.

My favourite recent overheard in supermarket moment, however, was a mother noticing her small child about to walk into something and going, "Michael, spatial awareness!"
Entirely usual name but love the choice of phrase instead of the more usual 'watch where you're going!'
(Michael responded by singing that "oh no no no" song from all those Tiktoks.)

idunnosomename

Mace! Trinity! Farfetch'd! Waluigi! Evangelion Unit 01 Test Type! You all get back here this instant!

Incy Wincy Mincey

Kid in my son's nursery is called Malachi, which inevitable gets mangled by the Weegie accent into "Malky"

bomb_dog

Probably 26 years ago though, in Bhs:

"Chanel! Get back here or you wont be getting your ears pierced!"

I think the kid was about 5 years old.

kalowski

Not called out but I met a Beckham and his brother Van Damme.

imitationleather

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on March 28, 2024, 08:02:10 PMMy friend named her sons Alfie and Arthur. She had a think what names she wouldn't be embarrassed to shout in the local market in our working-class area of South London.

I know someone who lives on an estate in Whitechapel and he's called his kids Odysseus and Aloysius.

kalowski

Quote from: imitationleather on March 29, 2024, 05:53:58 PMI know someone who lives on an estate in Whitechapel and he's called his kids Odysseus and Aloysius.
See, I don't mind these names if they get things consistent.
Odysseus and Telemachus for example.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

My brother in law informed me that his sister named her firstborn son Maximus. I didn't say anything.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on March 28, 2024, 08:02:10 PMMy friend named her sons Alfie and Arthur. She had a think what names she wouldn't be embarrassed to shout in the local market in our working-class area of South London.

Why, does she work in a market in a working-class area of South London? Seems a bit of a niche concern otherwise. I think some of the names listed would be embarrassing even if you said it quietly.

hamfist

Vodkafone

Not heard but noted in a professional context: young twins called Ronnie and Reggie. No word of a lie.

Underturd

Quote from: kalowski on March 29, 2024, 06:25:52 PMSee, I don't mind these names if they get things consistent.
Odysseus and Telemachus for example.

Only if the one kid is the other kid's dad.