Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:29:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Taxi: American remake

Started by Santa's Boyfriend, August 31, 2004, 11:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa's Boyfriend

I've known for a while that the reason the Taxi Trilogy has never come out in America is because the studios there had bought up the rights to remake it, and (as per usual) were sitting on the original until their version had been released.

Well, it seems that the trailer for the American version has finally come out - and they've certainly changed a few things...

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/taxi/tx_medium.html

I'm glad that they've changed the dynamic of the film so much rather than simply make a mediocre remake of a french classic, as it actually has a chance of standing up on its own now.  But I've still got to ask: Why do they bother?

petercussing

They loves the money. That is why this has been made.

We need to take Public Enemy's advice and burn Hollywood down.

Hooray lazy executives! They can't be bothered to get anyone to write any new films ever and write scripts through the collective effort of focus groups.

Still that version of Taxi seems wacky and ker-razy. What a fantastic cast as well. Queen Lateefa (or however its spelled) is always a sign of quality in a film. Jeez, MCs turned actors are one of the banes of modern life.

Like that film Soul Plane. How is that not just a modern blaxploitation film? Hooray for rubbish!

kidsick5000

Saw the trailer in the Cinema foyer, and for most of it
(like the switching to a smaller sterring wheel) i was thinking "haha it a take off  of that french film" and "Wow, theyre really ripping lots off from that french film"

Until the word "TAXI"  came up and my jaw dropped. Shit, theyve remade that french film. And whats more, with a camp little man and  a sassy black woman, all in an inspector gadget style.

dunno. could be fun.

terminallyrelaxed

I don't think I've ever seen the originals; am I right in thinking Vanessa Paradis is in them, or did she just do the song? Are they really any good? Its comedy isnt it? I could look it up on IMDB, but I always like to get a whores' perspective on these things...

splattermac

The other weekend I had the misfortune of catching thirty minutes of Taxi 3 before it was all too much and I had to have a kip. I woke up and asked my mate what he thought and he said it was possibly one of the worst films he's ever seen, I can imagine. So kids, Taxi 1 is great, what a romp, Taxi 2 is fair to middling and the finale is an unnecessary waste of time and effort, shame.

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"I don't think I've ever seen the originals; am I right in thinking Vanessa Paradis is in them, or did she just do the song? Are they really any good? Its comedy isnt it? I could look it up on IMDB, but I always like to get a whores' perspective on these things...

Venessa Paradis has nothing to do with them!  Don't know where you got that idea from.  Taxi is a film written and produced by Luc Besson, and is a brilliant peice of action comedy, far better than it has any right to be.  The final chase scene through the streets of Marsailles accompanied by a scratch DJ soundtrack is simply awsome.  The appaulingly racist police chief is also a stroke of genius (which almost certainly won't end up in the US version as they probably would think they were supposed to laugh with him rather than at him).

Taxi 2, although not as good, is still a good film and a lot of fun.  It features a lot of racism towards the Japanese by the police chief (as well as a lengthy conversation about "le rosbif", whoever they are...) - and includes a cameo by Jacques Chiraq.

Taxi 3 is the weakest of them, but is still a fun film and is better than most action comedies you'll see.  Includes a very surreal introduction sequence starring Sylvester Stallone being rescued by Daniel (the taxi driver) - with Stallone dubbed into French (which is of course how all his films are presented in France).  The whole film is fairly farcical, so if you're prepared for that it's good fun.  I don't think it's been release here yet, has it?

terminallyrelaxed

Thanks! I'm going to the video shop later to get Buffalo Soldiers and I'll see if I can get Taxi also, its quite old now isnt it so should be quite cheap...

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"Thanks! I'm going to the video shop later to get Buffalo Soldiers and I'll see if I can get Taxi also, its quite old now isnt it so should be quite cheap...

Both 1 and 2 have been going for about £5.99 in most chain stores for over a year now.  If they charge much more than that I'd look elsewhere.

skibz

In my opinion, American remakes of foreign films occur because of the large proportion of illiterate Americans who can't read subtitles...

Quote23% - 23% (40 to 44 million adults) (are) at Level 1, the lowest of five levels. This group is the Adult Literacy Service's primary target population - those we refer to as functionally illiterate.
(taken from here)

Furthermore, it seems to be the case that they think whatever anyone else can do, Hollywood can do better. Even if the new film completely misses the point of the original. Good examples include...

The Italian Job - take a quintessentially British film, set in Italy, and move it to New York with Yankee actors. Don't bother to change the name, it'll still make lots of money and most people probably won't care that it no longer makes any sense.
    Nikita - take a great French film, and make everyone speak a different language. Ignore the fact that the original film's success was because of the charm injected by Luc Besson's masterful direction, and try to market it as 'that film where Bridget Fonda gets her tits out'.
    Ring - same plot, characters, deaths, but set in the good ol' USA. Because, of course, everyone knows Oriental films are shit.[/list]

What next? Henry VIII 2034 AD? George Clooney's Carry On Caesar? Jean de Chicago?

VegaLA

Hah.. the Vanessa Paradis connection was that godawful song she released back in the late 80's, Joe Le Taxi or something !!
    I'm a fan of Jimmy Fallon an dits good to see him in a good movie like this. saw the trailer the other day during my ordeal through The Village. Actually i'd have much rather watched two hours of trailers then the Village but....

I thought the US remake of the Ring was pretty good..well.. better then I expected but i'll be keeping a close eye on Ju-on:The grudge remake...

terminallyrelaxed

Quote from: "Santa's Boyfriend"
    Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"Thanks! I'm going to the video shop later to get Buffalo Soldiers and I'll see if I can get Taxi also, its quite old now isnt it so should be quite cheap...

Both 1 and 2 have been going for about £5.99 in most chain stores for over a year now.  If they charge much more than that I'd look elsewhere.

Actually I was talking about renting - I'm not really into buying DVDs at any price, I'm only going to watch them a few times at most and the last thing I want is more stuff. This was asubject me and the girl in Blockbuster touched upon, among many things, as we searched the racks for the elusive white box (I'd already found the Taxi box but it wasnt behind it, but it hadnt been rented). Anyway, we never found it but she printed off another one and gave it to me anyway (£2.75 for 2 nights) - apparently if you cant find the box behind the original they cant rent it to you in case someone is walking around the shop and has already picked it up, makes sense I suppose.
    Anyway, thanks for the reccomendations, I'll be watching that tonight....

Santa's Boyfriend

Let us know what you think of it! (and watch the trailer for the US version after, and see what you think of that too)

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "skibz"

Quote23% - 23% (40 to 44 million adults) (are) at Level 1, the lowest of five levels. This group is the Adult Literacy Service's primary target population - those we refer to as functionally illiterate.
    (taken from here)

Heh, we went to the pictures the other night and there was a sign up saying "PLEASE BE AWARE THAT HERO HAS SUBTITLES"
    Mind, it didn't stop The Passion making $600million

As a side note, I watched Indiana Jones the other day with the subtitles on (I didn't want them on, I'd lost the remote and couldn't turn them off) and I noticed how hard it is to not read subtitles, even though you don't need to. Try it, bet you can't do it, it's like trying to eat a donut without licking yer lips.

terminallyrelaxed

That was great! Taxi I mean, just watched it and loved every minute of it. You're not wrong Santa, that final chase sequence is nicely done - I have also always loved the French take on light comedy, so witty as opposed to smutty.

Anyway, yes, if you haven't seen the original its well worth it. Can't see the glamour lasting past a sequel though, so won't bother with those, to keep it special.

The Fanciful Norwegian

I'm guessing Saturday Night Live isn't that big over in the UK, which is probably why I have yet to see any posts picking up on the presence of Jimmy Fallon as conclusive proof of the inevitable awfulness of this film.

So anyway, yeah, the presence of Jimmy Fallon is conclusive proof of the inevitable awfulness of this film.

QuoteLike that film Soul Plane. How is that not just a modern blaxploitation film?

In fairness to the makers of the actually-quite-terrible Soul Plane, the film was pretty much pitched as just that and it's loaded with none-too-subtle references to various blaxploitation staples. So it's not as if they were disguising their intentions or anything.

Pinball

Quote from: "Santa's Boyfriend"I've known for a while that the reason the Taxi Trilogy has never come out in America is because the studios there had bought up the rights to remake it, and (as per usual) were sitting on the original until their version had been released.

Well, it seems that the trailer for the American version has finally come out - and they've certainly changed a few things...

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/taxi/tx_medium.html

I'm glad that they've changed the dynamic of the film so much rather than simply make a mediocre remake of a french classic, as it actually has a chance of standing up on its own now.  But I've still got to ask: Why do they bother?
    Isn't this what happened with Les Visiteurs? Only released after The Visitors was produced (= Les Visiteurs 3), albeit that had Jean Reno and other original cast members, just set in the US, and was pretty good.

Who makes the distribution deals for French cinema companies (well, Gaumont specifically)?? They're losing a huge opportunity by delaying the film's release!

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"That was great! Taxi I mean, just watched it and loved every minute of it. You're not wrong Santa, that final chase sequence is nicely done - I have also always loved the French take on light comedy, so witty as opposed to smutty.

Anyway, yes, if you haven't seen the original its well worth it. Can't see the glamour lasting past a sequel though, so won't bother with those, to keep it special.

That's not a bad plan to be honest - the sequels are not bad films, but don't stand up in comparison to the original.  Glad you enjoyed it anyway - it's always gratifying for me to recommend a film that someone ends up liking.

session9

[predictable] I much preferred the spinoff series with Andy Kaufman. [/predictable]

El Unicornio, mang

Speaking of 'remakes, Jackson and Speilberg are doing, repsectively, King Kong and War of the Worlds for 2005 release, The Fly is oddly being remade again for 2004 and Ed Norton is starring in a film based on the book that Straw Dogs was culled from

http://imdb.com/title/tt0360717/
    http://imdb.com/title/tt0407304/
    http://imdb.com/title/tt0379788/
    http://imdb.com/title/tt0331488/

In actual fact, most remakes aren't actually remakes, they're usually different versions of original source material. Planet of the Apes by Tim Burton is no more a remake of the original than Muppet's Christmas Carol is a remake of Scrooge with Alistair Sim.