Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,802
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:35:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Weirder sci-fi films

Started by Famous Mortimer, August 03, 2013, 11:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on December 20, 2016, 11:06:49 AMRichard Kelly's so bizarre because Donnie Darko remains an absolutely incredible debut, it's insane that the person who came out with that right off the bat could follow with shit as messy and nonsensical as Southland Tales and The Box.  Beginner's luck?  He only had one good idea in him to begin with?  No idea, but it's a real shame.

I finally saw Donnie Darko last year for the first time, having somehow managed to avoid being majorly spoilered all that time.  I went into it knowing only that it was an unusual, but very-highly regarded film about a troubled teenager, that possibly involved time-travel and/or parallel universes and/or some other supernatural stuff.  Oh, and something about a giant bunny.

I won't say I didn't enjoy it, but I did think "Oh, is that it?" when it was done.  My overall verdict was basically "Meh, ok I suppose."

I know some people (most probably Cerys) will never forgive me for that, but there you go.

I actually got it for a quid in Cash Converters, and bought the Director's Cut at the same time for another quid, but haven't been arsed to watch it (or any of the extras on the first one, which apparently "explain it all", but to be honest I can't see much worth explaining).

Maybe I just went in with too high expectations, or maybe even the little bit I did know going into it was too much?

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on December 20, 2016, 11:06:49 AMGood for him making odd films with limited appeal as opposed to going the Nolan route, I guess, but still.

Yes, he does deserve credit for that, at least.