Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 09:47:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Not walking away when confronted by meatheads.

Started by holyzombiejesus, February 02, 2024, 11:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

I'm a dick and I always have to give a bit back. It's pathetic and I need to stop doing it, but so far am failing miserably. I don't get aggressive like they do, just insult them or get all snotty.

Was just leaving Sainsburys and a man was pushing his trolley out at the same time as me. For some reason, he took exception to me being within 2ft of him and started staring at me. This was my first chance to de-escalate and ignore him, apologise (for god knows what) or just smile. Instead I asked what was up. He started saying "are you trying to ram me, dickhead?" and this was my second chance to walk away. Instead I gave some back and called him a silly man with anger issues. And so on. No blows were exchanged but it's unedifying and unhealthy, and it happens relatively often. I never instigate it, never threaten violence  but always bite back. I guess my thought process is why should these arseholes be able to say what they like to me/ act unreasonably.

Does this kind of stuff happen to you and how do you respond?

Vodkafone

I am a bit of a cunt for this. I don't square up to people or owt but I will say things. Like, for example, on my walk to work there is a pedestrian crossing and it's a major ambulance route and people still park all over the zigzags which is really antisocial, and I'll pull people up on it. It's a bit of a dealing spot and some of these guys are probably quite handy so I shouldn't do it but I have this inflexible belief that you can't complain about the shit world around you if you don't try and change it. I'm really not trying to pose as some noble hero - I have to accept that this is partially about me having a bit of a death wish, so on some level I don't really mind if one day someone shanks me.

If I'm not on my meds then I'm simply unbearable and will go looking for trouble, which is why I'm staying on them.

madhair60

i never get into situations like this but i sometimes imagine them happening and enjoy how cleverly i shut my opponents down in my imagination. irl i would probably cry and have an anxiety attack

druss

I give as good as I get. Some cunt tried to ram me with his trolley outside  Sainsbury's the other day and then tried to claim that I was the one with anger issues.

Kankurette

I'm more likely to go full-on autistic and start screaming.

Vodkafone

I'll also say things like "there's a bin there mate". I probably need sorting out really.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 02, 2024, 11:57:39 AMDoes this kind of stuff happen to you and how do you respond?

Funnily enough this did used to happen to me but since I decided to see all these things in life as complete wastes of energy they haven't really occurred that much.  I'm probably just completely ignorant to it now with meatheads frothing at the maw in my wake.

Actually I did have some typecast meathead in the gym get a bit shitty with me about when I was going to finish my sets and despite him being about 3 times the size of me I told him quite firmly he'd have to wait his turn - nowt came of it though.

touchingcloth

I don't walk away when confronted by meatheads or head meat. Brawn: I shit 'em.

frajer

I used to be terrible for this in my twenties. Would scowl at anyone who confronted me and immediately snap "is there a fucking problem?" or some variation.

You get a bit older and slower and (slightly) more self-assured and of course you realise that's exactly what they want you to say. You've bitten, you've escalated it, and they're raring to go back at you because of whatever they've got going on.

I don't do it anymore. But the urge definitely still occurs if I'm already having a shitty day.

popcorn

1. I stand in front of a tree and shout "come on then you big twat! let's have a fight! your mum's a slag!"
2. Enraged, the thug charges towards me
3. I use my power of flight to shoot into the sky and the thug smashes into the tree and a beehive falls on his head

GMTV

Easy to say, but just walk away. Why run the risk of getting into some massive argument or worse, when you can just swerve clear and get on with your day.

People behaving like this are not happy in some way. Don't get involved, let someone else be the one that reacts.

Psybro

My dad does this stuff all the time and I'd have a moral obligation to wade in if it caused an issue, got away with it so far.

Endicott

I assumed that this was going to be about altercations on a night out, or maybe road rage, but supermarket rage? Really?

Actually I can think of one time in my whole life where something nearly kicked off in a supermarket, I was at the self checkouts and I gradually became aware of some cunt at the checkout row behind me who was rowing with a couple of lads. He pissed me off because he was calling them queer and claiming their 'type' was ruining 'his' town. I did turn round and stare at him and looked at the lads but they were fine, and it all petered out to nothing with him mumbling to himself and everyone just left. And I'm glad that's how it went because cunts like that aren't worth the time and effort, and you're not going to change them anyway. Although in my head I told him off and the whole supermarket cheered, so there is that.

Honestly, what do you expect to achieve? Are there ever any times that this has happened and you didn't walk away wishing you'd stayed stum?

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on February 02, 2024, 12:45:29 PMFunnily enough this did used to happen to me but since I decided to see all these things in life as complete wastes of energy they haven't really occurred that much.  I'm probably just completely ignorant to it now with meatheads frothing at the maw in my wake.

Actually I did have some typecast meathead in the gym get a bit shitty with me about when I was going to finish my sets and despite him being about 3 times the size of me I told him quite firmly he'd have to wait his turn - nowt came of it though.

You fuckin talkin to me mate

Beagle 2

I always walk away because I'm a coward life's too short but if my wife is with me I will at least hover behind her as she always bites and goes completely mental and they always regret it regardless of age, gender or stature.

Should have posted that in the what is love thread. 

Beagle 2

I did once shout "Lads, there's kids" at some fighting men but they weren't arsed.

Jerzy Bondov

If you can muster it up, it's best to just give these idiots a big friendly smile. You'll get killed but it's funny.

Norton Canes

Oh god this is me all the time, when I can't wind my neck in. Cycling is worst, any time someone cuts me up I habitually give them a gobfull, though I have chilled the fuck out a bit lately. Herds of meandering boomers are always a nice soft (but deserving) target. And don't crackle your wrapper if you're in a cinema seat anywhere near me.

Fuck knows what I'd do if it actually came to blows. A swift involuntary evacuation followed by bursting into tears, I suspect.

frajer

Quote from: Beagle 2 on February 02, 2024, 01:24:59 PMI did once shout "Lads, there's kids" at some fighting men but they weren't arsed.

If fighting men can't be distracted by the offer of some lovely children it must be serious.

Vodkafone

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 02, 2024, 01:26:07 PMOh god this is me all the time, when I can't wind my neck in. Cycling is worst, any time someone cuts me up I habitually give them a gobfull, though I have chilled the fuck out a bit lately. Herds of meandering boomers are always a nice soft (but deserving) target. And don't crackle your wrapper if you're in a cinema seat anywhere near me.

Fuck knows what I'd do if it actually came to blows. A swift involuntary evacuation followed by bursting into tears, I suspect.

Thanks for the warning but I tend to masturbate exclusively at home these days.

Mister Six

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on February 02, 2024, 12:45:29 PMI decided to see all these things in life as complete wastes of energy

Quote from: frajer on February 02, 2024, 12:54:07 PMYou get a bit older and slower and (slightly) more self-assured and of course you realise that's exactly what they want you to say. You've bitten, you've escalated it, and they're raring to go back at you because of whatever they've got going on.

Both of these are bang on. I've been known to do this stuff, but I try to focus more on just wandering off and getting on with my day now. Best case scenario, you waste time and energy engaging with twats and come up with a good zinger. Worst case scenario, you waste energy and time getting involved in a nasty argument and walk away fuming. Or get punched. Or worse.

Whatever is making someone an aggressive twat isn't going to be cured by an argument with you, and it's not your responsibility to fix it anyway.

These rules don't apply for me when stepping in to help out someone else, mind.

shoulders

From about 17 I started biting back, but it is best to swerve whatever the cunts are doing to aggravate everyone in sight and get on with your day.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

How come there are so many people here who respond to public confrontations by getting all confrontational back? I thought this was CaB where everyone is a shuffly awkward over apologising insecure pants pisser, like for example myself. I may have to find a different forum to post on now

frajer

Quote from: Stoneage Dinosaurs on February 02, 2024, 02:08:17 PMHow come there are so many people here who respond to public confrontations by getting all confrontational back? I thought this was CaB where everyone is a shuffly awkward over apologising insecure pants pisser, like for example myself. I may have to find a different forum to post on now

You starting?

Psybro

Quote from: frajer on February 02, 2024, 02:10:36 PMYou starting?

I wasn't going to say anything but if you're going to fucking start on him try picking on someone your own size

thenoise

Oh God no, I can't even bring myself to get into altercations online any more let alone face to face. Just make endless excuses for everybody, even if they are directly being a cunt to me personally. I am a pathetic weak pushover of a man.

frajer

Quote from: Psybro on February 02, 2024, 02:15:35 PMI wasn't going to say anything but if you're going to fucking start on him try picking on someone your own size

RRRRRUMBLE!

bgmnts

Unsure if I'd have escalated this encounter like OP, as I'm quite physically and emotionally pathetic.

Would have definitely spent an hour fantasising about his head getting crushed by a trolley, though.