Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:29:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How did F.U.K.D. and B.O.M.B.D. fool so many people?

Started by ajsmith, May 17, 2016, 01:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajsmith

Most of the other Morris scams had slightly more subtle names that the average unwitting celebrity mug getting involved wouldn't stop to question, but I was always puzzled by how the name F.U.K.D. and B.O.M.B.D.was able to fool everyone involved in the 'Cake' episode. The organisation has  got a big swear word in the title! Surely no one (especially 20 years ago) would think that was a real thing? Any ideas how it got by so many?

checkoutgirl

Morris being able to think on his feet very quickly, lack of the internet to check and celebs wanting to be the face of a cause or  just genuinely wanting to help.

I do kinda know what you mean though but people are quite thick. How does that Impractical Jokers show manage to fool anyone at all? Because people are a bit thick generally. It's the only possible explanation.

Entropy Balsmalch

That would've been so easy. In the 90s it was all about drug Czars and patronising and unrealistic government campaigns.

I can easily imagine someone dressed like Morris is in one of the clips saying "Look - we're about speaking the language they speak..." etc.

kaprisky

Free the United Kingdom from Drugs (incorporating British Opposition to Metabolically Bisturbile Drugs). Yeah, I could see that convincing people! If an EU referendum took place in the mid 90s I could imagine the Leave campaign jumping on to this!

Depressed Beyond Tables

How did Carla the elephant get her trunk jammed up her own guts?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

FUKDANDBOMBD

Language used out there on the drug crazed streets isn't it?

What's more amazing is the additional guff they were asked to speak on top of the very suspect organisation name and lack of references.

My favourite bit is that line - paraphrased - "...was keen to check all the facts", further reinforcing the humiliation.

Petey Pate

What's even more amazing is that MP David Amess MP was recently put in charge of scrutinising the government's ridiculous psychoactive substances bill.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Presumably the logic behind that was 'been burnt, won't fall for that again'.

You often find with Tories they need to be personally affected by something before they wake the fuck up to it.

I like to think every day on the job Amess is haunted by his absurd utterances and constantly swears never to be so stupid again.

MoonDust

"Cake is a made up drug..."

Now, I know that made up can be misinterpreted as "synthetic" or something not natural, but come on, falling for that one was surprising and funny.

Catalogue Trousers

Of course, it may have fooled very few people. Much of Morris' perceived success in such matters could just as easily be down to brilliant work in the edit suite as people being genuinely fooled. Not saying that some people weren't, but I find it very difficult to accept that Phil Collins didn't cotton on to that Nonce Sense thing instantly, for example.

Glebe

Wasn't David Amiss still convincing it was real, even after Brass Eye was broadcast?

v00n

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on May 30, 2016, 05:05:57 PMOf course, it may have fooled very few people. Much of Morris' perceived success in such matters could just as easily be down to brilliant work in the edit suite as people being genuinely fooled. Not saying that some people weren't, but I find it very difficult to accept that Phil Collins didn't cotton on to that Nonce Sense thing instantly, for example.

He's getting paid; seems like a laugh - and he's good at keeping a straight face.

sevendaughters

remember, this was post-rave, Leah Betts, all that shit, Class As were a hot moral button issue.

The elephant one imo is more notable that many of those celebs are absolute fruit loops.

Glebe

Quote from: sevendaughters on January 17, 2022, 11:44:55 PMThe elephant one imo is more notable that many of those celebs are absolute fruit loops.

Apparently Toyah Wilcox cottoned on to it. Fair play to her.

Shaky

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on May 30, 2016, 05:05:57 PMOf course, it may have fooled very few people. Much of Morris' perceived success in such matters could just as easily be down to brilliant work in the edit suite as people being genuinely fooled. Not saying that some people weren't, but I find it very difficult to accept that Phil Collins didn't cotton on to that Nonce Sense thing instantly, for example.

I've always wondered about that too, but I suppose if you have a fake production team convincing you it's a catchy, punning catchphrase you might go along with it even after asking questions. We don't know how much coaxing the dupes needed in each case.

Pauline Walnuts

What's most surprising to me is that it's only 20 years ago. Seems like so much more now.

Milo

Quote from: Shaky on January 19, 2022, 12:05:12 AMI've always wondered about that too, but I suppose if you have a fake production team convincing you it's a catchy, punning catchphrase you might go along with it even after asking questions. We don't know how much coaxing the dupes needed in each case.

There was a bit in the Morris Music Shows where he gets an old woman to say something like, "praise be for the parting of the beef curtains" and he plays a bit of audio later where he's pretending he's just been sent out to record this stuff but doesn't really know what it's for. He goes along with her theory that 'curtains' is a stage direction for the end of the play.

Easy to imagine a lot of that kind of thing going on in the background with the celebs

peanutbutter

I imagine you just have to refrain on the silly name until the actual shoot and you can pretty much startle a lot of people into going along with all kinds of nonsense once the lights and cameras are all there ready to shoot.

In the moment the options are to either believe it, go along and get on with your day, or acknowledge you've been duped and have wasted a chunk of your day bothering to go along with it.

boki

Greavsie couldn't stop himself laughing when he said it, so I assumed he was either in on it or just decided to go with it.

Glebe

Quote from: boki on January 24, 2022, 12:44:12 PMGreavsie couldn't stop himself laughing when he said it, so I assumed he was either in on it or just decided to go with it.

Didn't get that impression myself. He seemed genuinely worked up actually.

boki

Quote from: Glebe on January 24, 2022, 01:03:41 PMDidn't get that impression myself. He seemed genuinely worked up actually.
Really?  Always looked like he's corpsing on the "FUKD" bit to me.

Replies From View

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on May 17, 2016, 04:56:12 PMHow did Carla the elephant get her trunk jammed up her own guts?

Don't pretend you wouldn't have done

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: boki on January 24, 2022, 02:10:48 PMReally?  Always looked like he's corpsing on the "FUKD" bit to me.

Same, no doubt about it.

neveragain

He might have found it funny but still thought it was real.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Glebe on January 18, 2022, 04:08:19 AMApparently Toyah Wilcox cottoned on to it. Fair play to her.

It sounded from how Michael Cummings described it at the Oxide Ghosts Q&A that she didn't twig it was a hoax but objected to the script she'd been given and insisted on changing it to suit herself, which unsurprisingly wasn't funny enough to use.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Petey Pate on May 18, 2016, 11:13:08 AMWhat's even more amazing is that MP David Amess MP was recently put in charge of scrutinising the government's ridiculous psychoactive substances bill.
hope he pulls through

DrumsAndWires

Glebe

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on April 09, 2022, 12:56:58 AMIt sounded from how Michael Cummings described it at the Oxide Ghosts Q&A that she didn't twig it was a hoax but objected to the script she'd been given and insisted on changing it to suit herself, which unsurprisingly wasn't funny enough to use.

Hmmm, interesting, at the screening I went to a couple of years ago, Cummings mentioned Toyah refusing to accept the trunk-stuck-up-guts stuff, can't recall him saying she wanted to change the script.

retsuza

Possibly some were rendered more naive by damage done to their Shatner's Bassoon.

v00n