Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:15:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Partworks magazines [split topic]

Started by JesusAndYourBush, January 14, 2022, 03:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JesusAndYourBush

The latest rip off (120 issues, starts at £1.99 then hiked up to £9.99) I saw advertised last night was "Disney Doll House".

I wonder how many people start off buying these type of ripoffs and get part-way in then realise they're a ripoff, but feel they have too much invested in it to back out so carry on being ripped off until the conclusion.

There was an ad the day before for a magazine about tarot cards that sounded like it might be this type of ripoff but I wasn't paying enough attention to see the terms.  But I can't see how they'd drag it out.  One card per magazine? Surely not!

idunnosomename

fuckin absurd

https://disneydollshouse.hachettepartworks.com/

2.3 years? and it's aimed at kids? fucking shameless this one

gilbertharding

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 14, 2022, 03:35:45 PMThe latest rip off (120 issues, starts at £1.99 then hiked up to £9.99) I saw advertised last night was "Disney Doll House".

I wonder how many people start off buying these type of ripoffs and get part-way in then realise they're a ripoff, but feel they have too much invested in it to back out so carry on being ripped off until the conclusion.

"Build your own perfect working model of the Sunk Cost Fallacy..."

gilbertharding

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 14, 2022, 03:43:50 PMfuckin absurd

https://disneydollshouse.hachettepartworks.com/

2.3 years? and it's aimed at kids? fucking shameless this one

Probably aimed at adults who don't realise that in 2.3 years their kids will have grown out of Disney and dolls' houses.

idunnosomename

can i say the most annoying thing. have a look.

yeah why is the fucking bathroom not on top of the kitchen? have you ever been in a house??? the plumbing for this arrangement would be highly illogical!!!

there is a bog though

although one toilet hardly seems sufficient for the wonderful world of disney. imagine if ariel's trying to have relaxing soak and in bursts the beast releasing an emegency titanic dump

Blumf

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 14, 2022, 03:35:45 PMThere was an ad the day before for a magazine about tarot cards that sounded like it might be this type of ripoff but I wasn't paying enough attention to see the terms.  But I can't see how they'd drag it out.  One card per magazine? Surely not!

Saw that too. Wasn't paying attention but it sounds like you get several different sets of cards, bit by bit, for years.

EDIT: Fifth page to lovingly add to your binder (price raised to £9.99)

beanheadmcginty

I've been in loads of houses where the bathroom isn't above the kitchen.

Blumf

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 14, 2022, 03:52:23 PMalthough one toilet hardly seems sufficient for the wonderful world of disney. imagine if ariel's trying to have relaxing soak and in bursts the beast releasing an emegency titanic dump

Does seem to contravene basic HMO regulations. I'd get the council involved, frankly.

idunnosomename

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on January 14, 2022, 03:58:59 PMI've been in loads of houses where the bathroom isn't above the kitchen.
I am sorry it makes no sense to have the only two plumbed rooms on opposite sides of the house. ridiculous. I will not be getting the premium subscription now.

gilbertharding

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 14, 2022, 04:04:01 PMI am sorry it makes no sense to have the only two plumbed rooms on opposite sides of the house. ridiculous. I will not be getting the premium subscription now.

The SVP my house rises in the kitchen to the bathroom, but it's a long way from the sink. And the downstairs toilet has its own stack. It's fine - but you're right in multi storey buildings you do try to stack drains on top of each other.

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 14, 2022, 04:04:01 PMI am sorry it makes no sense to have the only two plumbed rooms on opposite sides of the house. ridiculous. I will not be getting the premium subscription now.

But you can make the different Disney characters have a shit on the toilet.

Mickey with his tiny little droppings, Donald with his white and dark green splatters. Clarabelle the cow absolutely fucking decimating it with massive pats. Plus, I wonder how Olaf, the sentient snowman from Frozen deficates? Is it brown human shits out of an accurate snow anus? Is it just pushed through the snow like a sprouting daffodil? Does he have stains around his bottom because it's all seeped into his snow? We must know and this is why £9.99 per issue is an absolute bargain, really. Shame on you all for being so negative about it.

Captain Z

I'm sure I read somewhere, probably on here, and probably from buzby, that these magazines know full well that they won't survive beyond a dozen or so issues. At which point, they contact the remaining subscribers offering them the remainder of the parts to complete their model for a fee that gives them a suitable profit margin.

Sorry @Captain Z, but Barry has moved this thread to H.S. Art, so you can knock all the serious partwork chat on the head. This is the Disney characters shitting thread now.

idunnosomename

Oh god now with the Disney+ media empire does that mean Star Wars and Marvel are also sharing that one toilet? Darth Vader emptying his waste VitaPaste carts down there. SpiderMan doing stringy little shits. The Hulk blocking it before Jabba has to go! Disaster!!!!

Barry Admin

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on January 14, 2022, 05:18:44 PMSorry @Captain Z, but Barry has moved this thread to H.S. Art, so you can knock all the serious partwork chat on the head. This is the Disney characters shitting thread now.

Happy to split that discussion off and move it back.

imitationleather

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 14, 2022, 05:30:56 PMOh god now with the Disney+ media empire does that mean Star Wars and Marvel are also sharing that one toilet? Darth Vader emptying his waste VitaPaste carts down there. SpiderMan doing stringy little shits. The Hulk blocking it before Jabba has to go! Disaster!!!!

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde were always blaming each other for leaving the loo in a total state, if I remember correctly.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 14, 2022, 03:35:45 PMI wonder how many people start off buying these type of ripoffs and get part-way in then realise they're a ripoff, but feel they have too much invested in it to back out so carry on being ripped off until the conclusion.

I was like that back in the nineties with Murder Casebook*, but they never did feature every single murderer, it was a right bloody con.

*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FZUI6fSd1Y

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 14, 2022, 03:46:09 PM"Build your own perfect working model of the Sunk Cost Fallacy..."

I wonder if anyone's done a crypto explainer in partworks form. Could be the perfect scam.

Sebastian Cobb

Also quite intrigued what parent thread this was split from now.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Captain Z on January 14, 2022, 05:01:25 PMI'm sure I read somewhere, probably on here, and probably from buzby, that these magazines know full well that they won't survive beyond a dozen or so issues. At which point, they contact the remaining subscribers offering them the remainder of the parts to complete their model for a fee that gives them a suitable profit margin.
i would assume the business model is more a long the lines of pushing people on to subscriptions. No one would buy them every week from a shop. You mass-produce the first ones to get them on the shelves, so much so you can offer them cheap, then by the fourth one you're just producing the parts for the number of subscribers you have amassed plus a few spares in case of damage etc. When subs cancel you scale back the production.

It has to be profitable otherwise why would they keep doing them?

They dont seem to be under any obligation to finish it, eg if they went bust. But they are a massive firm so it's quite safe i guess

Quote9. Liability

If you notify Hachette (in accordance with Article 10) of any valid claim in respect of any Issue which is based on any defect in the quality or condition of such Issue or any product supplied with it, Hachette shall at your option either replace the relevant Issue free of charge or refund the Issue. Should Hachette be unable to supply you with Issues due to circumstances beyond its control, Hachette will notify you of such circumstances and if those circumstances continue for a period of 3 months either you or Hachette may terminate the order for the Issue or (as appropriate) the Subscription immediately. Any advance payments made by you for Issues not delivered by the date of termination will be refunded. Hachette will refund you for the faulty Issue(s) only and will not refund you for the rest of the collection. Hachette will not be responsible for any loss of profits, revenue, contracts, anticipated savings, data, goodwill or wasted expenditure or any indirect or consequential loss or business losses. Hachette cannot guarantee stock of Issues 6 (six) months after the last Issue in a collection has been published. Should Hachette be unable to supply you with Issues, Hachette will not be responsible for any Issues you are missing in your collection. Hachette limits its liability regarding use of its website in the Website Copyright and Liability Notice. Nothing in these Conditions will affect your statutory rights relating to faulty or misdescribed goods

Still they're taking advantage of people not thinking of a monthly tenner here and there (phone tarriff, netflix, disney+, spotify) and just sucking them for a good couple years

Blumf

idunnosomename

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 14, 2022, 07:07:51 PMAlso quite intrigued what parent thread this was split from now.
it was the stupid old bastard who made the shit titanic years ago, that branched off into a hachette partwork titanic discussion because it was more interesting than his truly pathetic and shameful effort.

Bigfella

I used to get a guitar tutorial one with a free CD for playing along with all the lessons.  It was the same price for as long as I was buying it.

idunnosomename

i wonder when you get the Disney toilet? 2023 or early 2024?

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 14, 2022, 06:57:38 PMI was like that back in the nineties with Murder Casebook*, but they never did feature every single murderer, it was a right bloody con.

I bought the first 10 issues of that.  I stopped, partly because I was bored of it, and partly because they started featuring murderers I'd never heard of.  Not quite the same though as they didn't hike the price up and you weren't building your own Sutcliffe.

I also bought the first 12(?) issues of Science Now (and one binder) and the whole lot of The Unexplained.

Replies From View

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 14, 2022, 03:52:23 PMcan i say the most annoying thing. have a look.

Perfectly good wooden chopping board being wasted there.

Replies From View

I got that murder one as well.  I collected it and my older brother and his friend thought there was something wrong with me for getting it.

The newsagents wrote my name on it for every issue because I was subscribed to it and picked it up from there.  These murder magazines with my names on, in their special dedicated folder, are probably still in my parents' house somewhere.