Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:30:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Have never felt so shite. Unable to sleep properly since December.

Started by George White, March 18, 2024, 08:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George White

I've never felt so shit. Leg pains, arm pains, foot pains, handcramps, headaches, watery eyes, inability to sleep, tight fingers, tiredness. Tingles. Pins and needles. Back pain. I really am convinced I have a tumour.
I haven't been able to sleep since December.
Had a CAT scan in November, and the eye tests apparently would have showed things. I was diagnosed with anxiety, but the 5mg a day of lexapro since November hasn't helped, and I'm getting worried again.
 The doctor doesn't believe me, I fear, and my March appointment was delayed to April 3.

Buelligan

Don't have any answers for you I'm afraid but I'm really sorry you feel so bad.  Very much hope things feel more postive for you soon.  Hug.

Dr Rock

If your doctor is crap get another one. Doing this has led me to some really great GPs. Maybe you could try some antidepressants? Duloxetine and Miturzipan have stoped me wishing I was dead.

George White

The problem is I have two GPS. My longstanding Gp is only part-time (who my father is very loyal to, because he diagnosed my mother's cancer), and the new lad barely knows me.

Underturd

Sounds neurological, push for an appointment with the good GP.

Glebe

George White

Quote from: Underturd on March 18, 2024, 09:19:19 PMSounds neurological, push for an appointment with the good GP.
As I said, I've been worried it's a tumour.
I was told it's probably anxiety after my mam died, and indeed I had anxiety symptoms before the headaches etc.

Underturd

Anxiety can be a symptom of some neurological diseases though, worth looking into.

Barry Admin

Quote from: George White on March 18, 2024, 08:29:40 PMThe doctor doesn't believe me, I fear, and my March appointment was delayed to April 3.

The bigger problem seems to be that you don't believe the doctor.  The scan would have picked it up.

Go and get a full round of bloods done again and see if there's any problems.  Good luck George.

George White

I had a blood test, I don't know if they checked tumour markers, but they checked my blood pressure, thyroid, blood sugars, etc, all fine.
I also had a neurological test yesterday that was fine, but again my GP has to decide on the more conclusive tests.

Glebe

Does sound like anxiety's having you imaging all sorts George. Give yourself a break and relax a bit mate, I know it's not easy but if the tests are fine that's certainly reassuring.

Underturd

Yeah, if your tests are coming back fine that's good news. Try and chill a bit, yeah?

bgmnts

Chill out, dickwad.

Seriously though yeah sort the anxiety out best you can.

Cloud

I prescribe marzipan

Hope you get to the bottom of it all and find that it's some anxiety that dies down

thr0b

I Had all this years ago, George. Full blood work, MRI, the lot. Been on Citalopram since and things got a lot better after a month or so.

Not perfect by any means, but vastly improved.

See a different GP and see what they say.

Glebe

Reckon you should have a good chat with your GP about your anxiety medication George. Dose might need to be changed or maybe a different medication could be required? In any case best of luck.

George White

Quote from: thr0b on March 20, 2024, 03:53:22 PMI Had all this years ago, George. Full blood work, MRI, the lot. Been on Citalopram since and things got a lot better after a month or so.

Not perfect by any means, but vastly improved.

See a different GP and see what they say.
I've been on 5mg of Escitalopram every day since November, and it really hasn't done much. Hence the worry.

canadagoose

Quote from: George White on March 20, 2024, 04:25:59 PMI've been on 5mg of Escitalopram every day since November, and it really hasn't done much. Hence the worry.
I'm not a GP, but I have been on quite a few antidepressants and 5mg of escitalopram isn't very much. I'd have thought they'd try increasing the dose?

George White

I told them to. But they are waiting till my next appointment.

Glebe

Definitely sounds like a change of dose or meds might be due George. Have you done any counselling? That's something I really need to go back to myself.

I was on Seroxat (paroxetine) for a long time before being switched to Faverin (fluvoxamine), which also helps with my OCD tendencies. That's just my prescription of course, different things work for different people.

George White

I forgot to mention the back pain. But then I don't have a proper chair. But the back pain is pretty severe.
I woke up with cold hands, which worried me. But they're warm now.

I also keep dreaming of Mother. Often weird situations like we'll be watching old movies together, and she'll be asking me who such an actor (e.g. Stuart Whitman) is.

Glebe

I dream about my lovely Mother a lot too. Loss is a strange thing.

thr0b

Quote from: George White on March 20, 2024, 04:25:59 PMI've been on 5mg of Escitalopram every day since November, and it really hasn't done much. Hence the worry.

That's basically a maintenance dose.

I've been on 20mg of Citalopram for ages. Did up it to 40mg for a while, but it basically switched all moods off, so that was too much.

DrumsAndWires

Mr_Rich

Quote from: canadagoose on March 20, 2024, 04:32:45 PMI'm not a GP, but I have been on quite a few antidepressants and 5mg of escitalopram isn't very much. I'd have thought they'd try increasing the dose?

Yeah I agree, from memory I think 5mg is a  a low dose and 10mg is the usual starting therapeutically effective dose. Been a while though since I had escitalopram. I think they started me in 10mg and pushed it up to 20mg. Didn't have much impact tbh, mirtazapine is the only thing that's ever really helped my mental state.

canadagoose

Quote from: Mr_Rich on March 20, 2024, 10:46:32 PMYeah I agree, from memory I think 5mg is a  a low dose and 10mg is the usual starting therapeutically effective dose. Been a while though since I had escitalopram. I think they started me in 10mg and pushed it up to 20mg. Didn't have much impact tbh, mirtazapine is the only thing that's ever really helped my mental state.
I don't think mirtazapine helped me much (is that one of the sleepy ones?), but it's good it helped you. Maybe it would have helped me if I'd waited a bit longer but the psychiatrist just thought "nah, try something else", if I remember rightly. Sertraline plus lithium has sorted me out, finally, but it took a while.

George, to go back to your topic, good luck with the doctor, and I hope you can find some relief soon. Your whole situation sounds not very fun, and hopefully they can sort you out, though you might need to push them.

Memorex MP3

When I was 19 I was put onto 20mg of escitalopram straight away* so 5mg sounds pretty low to me. Reading online it sounds like it's a very common starter dose now and works for some people.

*They prescribed Lexapro and it was Ireland so I was paying full price for the branded one, whatever gain I could've gotten from it was offset by the €80 I was losing each month.

Glebe