Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:18:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Don't look how I had hoped....

Started by kalowski, March 25, 2024, 07:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Ever had this feeling , my CaB friends?
I bought a lovely Harris Tweed cap from local cancer research shop. Lovely thing. Great colour, cool peak.
When I out it in I feel like

But when I looked in the mirror I realised I looked more like:

johnlogan

Remember getting a nice navy Nike jacket once that I thought looked alright in pictures, but as soon as I put it on, I looked like a portly dealer.

My partner works with someone who was trying to grow his hair to look like the lead in new Dune, but it only served to have him told even more that he looked like Lewis Capaldi.

madhair60

Ferris

I always wanted a corduroy hat like 1962 Bob Dylan but never had the courage to even try, you're ahead of me there.

Edit: like this

Zero Gravitas

For sixty years, hats have been the laughingstock of men's fashion, an utterly forsaken chapter, scorned and dismissed by anyone with a shred of style.

Cunts, however, seem to think they, in sartorial and social isolation, can change this.

kalowski

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on March 25, 2024, 08:33:23 PMFor sixty years, hats have been the laughingstock of men's fashion, an utterly forsaken chapter, scorned and dismissed by anyone with a shred of style.

Cunts, however, seem to think they, in sartorial and social isolation, can change this.
I have quite a few hats.
I am also a cunt.

Underturd

When I was a teenager I got a perm and I deserved all the pisstaking afterwards.

Kankurette

Do male geeks still wear fedoras these days? It was a huge thing in the 00s and 10s. I went through a phase of wearing one when I went out clubbing in my early 20s.

imitationleather

Cancer research shop!

I dunno why we keep researching it. If you ask me, we've got enough of them!

Christ I am bored.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Got a big long leather coat that I thought made me look fancy rather than like a bellend

Kankurette

I'm on an old Something Awful TV Tropes thread, back when Troper Tales were a thing, and there were a LOT of Tropers who thought their hats and Badass Longcoats looked cool.

Spoiler: they did not.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on March 25, 2024, 08:33:23 PMFor sixty years, hats have been the laughingstock of men's fashion, an utterly forsaken chapter, scorned and dismissed by anyone with a shred of style.

You, my good sir, do not know the power of the mighty Fedora, of which I am sporting at this moment.

Ferris

I've started wearing a bass pro trucker cap when fishing, and to be honest it's starting to become unironic. They have the best sporting fishing tackle in the business.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: kalowski on March 25, 2024, 07:18:44 PMWhen I out it in I feel like

Yeah flat caps are tricky to pull off. Even Cillian Murphy wouldn't wear one in public and you could plane wood off his cheekbones. TV isn't real life and if I saw some young lad walking around like Peaky Blinders I'd assume he's some sort of hipster.

To be honest any hat these days is a mine field because people don't wear them anymore and you'll either look like Justin Timberlake or Compo.

Emma Raducanu

Don't think I've ever looked at a photograph of myself older than 5 years and thought anything except how bad I dress.

Jim_MacLaine

Quote from: checkoutgirl on March 25, 2024, 10:08:34 PMYeah flat caps are tricky to pull off. Even Cillian Murphy wouldn't wear one in public and you could plane wood off his cheekbones. TV isn't real life and if I saw some young lad walking around like Peaky Blinders I'd assume he's some sort of hipster.

When I were a lad it were all Joboxers as far as the eye could see.

TrenterPercenter

Thing is those folk that do kind of pull this stuff off often then look like they are trying too hard.  Nobody can win.

Icehaven

I think I'm entirely alone in not finding Cillian Murphy attractive, hat or no. There's something of Brian Cox (the D:Ream one) about him, possibly the lips. Anyway in short don't try and look like Cillian Murphy, it's not a good look.

Dr Rock

Used to wear a cowboy hat. Was a Nephilim fan.

Buelligan

I like people to wear hats.  I don't think people should allow themselves to be intimidated about their appearances.  Wear what you like, fuck the world.

Quote from: Icehaven on March 25, 2024, 10:28:50 PMI think I'm entirely alone in not finding Cillian Murphy attractive, hat or no. There's something of Brian Cox (the D:Ream one) about him, possibly the lips. Anyway in short don't try and look like Cillian Murphy, it's not a good look.

Used to have a partner who looked extremely like him - I did find him attractive but he was sadly ruined by having a deeply shit personality.  A small upside - he looked good in hats.

ETA  Brian Cox is not the same at all!  He looks like Keir Starmer's "friend"  Baroness Jenny Chapman.

Unattractive

FeederFan500

When it comes to clothes and fashion I unscientifically reckon it's 20% the clothes and 80% the wearer as to whether it looks good or not, unless you are deliberately trying to look terrible. I generally find middle class people are a bit better at styling out/covering flab though.

As a result I generally think wear what you want because it makes quite a minor difference. I wouldn't exactly say it's common but I did see a young 20s-ish lad shopping with his mum the other week sporting a fedora, maybe he was being ironic but I wouldn't recommend the look.

Kankurette

Very few men can wear a fedora and not look like a twat.

Zero Gravitas

The world isn't built for fedoras anymore.

A fedora isn't an article that you can choose to wear in a vacuum, it needs a whole universe populated with hat stands and hat sharpening shops to support it.

In needs the whole world to be rearranged to contain 3m2 elevators, busses with double-door side entrances and cars with the headroom of a Humber Super Snipe.

Mr_Simnock

I've got hair a bit like this now and I am getting on towards 50, at some time though I am aware I will have to drop it before I look like someones elderly vulnerable aunt

Mr_Simnock

AliasTheCat

I've always liked the idea of having a moustache and last year I tried one out for about a  month hoping I'd look like this:

Before realising that the reality was more this:

Buelligan

They look strangely similar to me.  Are you sure you weren't just nit-picking?

gilbertharding

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on March 25, 2024, 11:30:35 PMI've got hair a bit like this now and I am getting on towards 50, at some time though I am aware I will have to drop it before I look like someones elderly vulnerable aunt

Some days I thank goodness I started balding in my 20s, or I might still be rocking this 'do myself.

I've probably posted here before about trying to compile a list of all the men in the media who've persisted with the Britpop Moptop long past the appropriate time.

SO far I have:
Brian Cox.
Simon Reeve.
Simon Armitage.

Any more?

druss

In the early 2000s I ordered one of those red jackets the libertines wore off eBay. Thankfully I was scammed and it never arrived.

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 26, 2024, 01:07:30 PMSome days I thank goodness I started balding in my 20s, or I might still be rocking this 'do myself.

I've probably posted here before about trying to compile a list of all the men in the media who've persisted with the Britpop Moptop long past the appropriate time.

SO far I have:
Brian Cox.
Simon Reeve.
Simon Armitage.

Any more?

John Harris.